Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Worried and scared most of the time  (Read 378 times)

Tiredgirl23

• First Flush
Worried and scared most of the time
« on: May 11, 2024, 06:48:21 AM »

Hi there,

So glad to be here and see other women experiencing some similar symptoms to me. So pleased to be able to make sense of what might have been happening with me.

Just started HRT almost two weeks ago for perimenopause (I’m 44). I’ve been suffering with lots of anxiety, paranoia and depression, as well as physical symptoms.First two weeks of Evorel 50 have been largely good, although some days I am consumed by worry and hopelessness, and just want to hide in bed. Not sure if this is normal - feeling ok some days on it and then not, on other days. I suppose my body is just starting to adjust to the HRT. I must say though Evorel has had a largely positive effect so far I think.

I am due to start Utrogestan 200mg on Monday and am worried what that is going to bring. Mostly worried about potential further anxiety and low mood, than about any physical symptoms. I think I am on the right oestrogen dose as I’ve not had the symptoms suggested by having too much (sore breasts, etc.) so hoping the progesterone (Utrogestan) will help balance things.

What are people’s experiences of going on Utrogestan?

I am so glad to have started HRT by the way. I’ve been suffering with anxiety, fear, worry and depression for some years now but would have never thought it could have possibly been due to perimenopausal symptoms. In fact I don’t think I knew what perimenopause really was. Thank you for reading!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Worried and scared most of the time
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 07:25:05 AM »

Morning.    :welcomemm:    Who is over-seeing the anxiety, paranoia, depression etc.? 

How are these symptoms during your menstruating years, is there a cyclical pattern?  R they worse at any particular time of the 'month'?

Dr Kathleen Dalton did a lot of research in the 1970s/80s - U may like to have a lookC at The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome website.

Anxiety can be eased by appropriate medication, we shouldn't blame everything on menopause.  I take anti-depressants daily and have an emergency pill for when anxiety floors me.  I'm now 70.

Tiredgirl23

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 09:51:28 AM »

Thank you for your reply, CKLD and the PMS website. Will check it out.

I don’t think it’s at a particular time of the month but I need to start tracking things better. I have another lifelong health condition which monopolises a lot of my time.

And yes, I have a whole load of other health and personal stuff that has been going on too for some time, which has been adding to the anxiety and worry mix, so I know it’s a combination of things happening at the same time.

Trying to work out some of my other issues too and on the positive, there have been some improvements. I am also very lucky to have an extremely supportive husband.

I’ve been offered anti-depressants in the past but decided they weren’t for me.

I will wait and see how next week goes. Thank you again!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 12:27:02 PM »

Let us know how you get on?   Paranoia needs to be treated by a Consultant with appropriate medication.

Well done the Husband  :medal: 

If U R able to delegate, then do so.  Get others used to stepping up if they can help ;-).

Tiredgirl23

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 03:15:39 PM »

Thanks for the advice and yes, will let you know how I get on.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 05:40:58 PM »

Paranoia can rarely be caused by hormonal upheavals. 

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 05:53:18 PM »

I'd agree with CLKD re paranoia. Have you mentioned this to your GP? If not, then I think you should.
Also, if the Utrogestan makes you worse, given you also mentioned depression, then please go back to your GP sooner than when you are due your review.
Aside from that, yes it is absolutely normal to have good days and bad days when you first start. Can take 3 months to settle on hrt.

Tiredgirl23

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 06:15:33 PM »

Thank you both. When I say paranoia, I mean I’m paranoid about bad things happening / I worry and catastrophise.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 07:09:44 PM »

MayB make an appt with your GP, taking a list of your worries ........ health anxiety levels often rise in peri-menopause with many looking after elderly relatives, raising children/step kids, working ...........

Let us know how you get on.