Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 504 times)

Annaph

• First Flush
Hello
« on: April 18, 2024, 04:05:15 PM »

Hello,
I’m new on here.
I’m 50 next month and have been on estrogen gel (2 pumps) and progesterone tablets daily for the last 4 years.
I suffer from anxiety and it’s always been manageable with an anti depressant. I was on 30mg of Citalopram until recently when it stopped working.
In 2021, 2022 and currently, I’ve suffered three breakdowns. My anxiety in the first two was very high and I was signed off work both times and had a hugely supportive boss. I took the time I needed and slowly came back. The last breakdown started (looking back) on December but has been full blown over the last 2 months. I left my job last year and am currently not working so no pressure there but I miss it.
I’m very happily married to someone incredibly supportive, have lots of friends and my family are supportive too. I recently saw a psychiatrist once I realised my citalopram wasn’t effective anymore and he diagnosed me with Generalised Anxiety Disorder. It wasn’t a huge shock as my anxiety is abnormally high but it was sad. I’m currently easing myself onto Duloxetine which has been challenging.
The psychiatrist thinks my manageable anxiety has been heightened by the perimenopause and I think I agree.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Personally I’ve found the perimenopause fine to navigate, anxiety aside (!), I’ve had very few hot flushes and some brain fog - the anxiety has been the most debilitating part.
As mentioned before, I have a lot of love around me and I miss going out and feeling relaxed.
Apologies for the length in post, it’s a lot to get through. As I said, it’s my first time posting here or anywhere.

Thank you for reading
Anna x

SarahT

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 04:23:30 PM »

Hi Anna,

Just wanted to say hello and welcome.
I know you will find this forum vert y supportive and full of information. Am sure as you browse through the threads you will see that unfortunately anxiety is vert y much a big part of perimenopause. ( me too ) hormones seem to kick off a .lot of symptoms physical and mental\emotional health affected.
It so good you have support around you and have taken steps to help yourself too. Being here on the forum is an additional help as well.
As well as being on an anti anxiety med, I also had therapy as I was so overwhelmed

Just remember to be kind to yourself as you are doing good things to help yourself

Annaph

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 04:55:03 PM »

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your warm welcome and kind words.

I’m so sorry you are also going through anxiety - it’s debilitating.

I’ve found therapy very helpful too.

Thanks again x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 05:10:58 PM »

Anxiety and insomnia were my worst symptoms though mine is a bit different as I had no history of it before peri. It's so debilitating you have my sympathy. Mine went after 3 months on hrt but I've had to increase twice because it returned as my own oestrogen levels declined. I wonder if it might be worth trialling a higher dose to see if it reduces it? It just seems a bit of a coincidence you've been worse as your own oestrogen levels have fallen.

Annaph

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 05:30:51 PM »

Thank you for your reply and sharing your experience.
I upped my estrogen pumps at my GP’s suggestion just before Christmas and felt more anxious - perhaps I should try again.
It’s very hard to know what’s right and wrong - the only thing I can equate it to is having a baby where you feel like you constantly a beat behind guessing if something is working!
Thanks again x

mandss

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 05:59:11 PM »

HI mate
welcome to the mad world of hormones, its a bumpy journey. Pleased you have come here to talk. Just wanted to say Hello xx

Annaph

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 06:18:57 PM »

Hello to you too and big thanks for the welcome. Very grateful for it.
xx

DottyD68

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 08:58:04 PM »

Welcome Anna,

I had never experienced anxiety before perimenopause and it is now the biggest symptom I am trying to get on top of.

Just be aware that it is not black and white
especially when hormones are fluctuating. Some symptoms can the the result of too much or too little oestrogen. I am on HRT and found that reducing oestrogen actually eased symptoms so you have to try and find that balance. It isn't always easy and requires patience but you are not alone. Good luck X

Annaph

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 07:31:59 AM »

Hello DottyD68

Thank you for your reply and encouraging words.

Developing anxiety via the menopause must have been frightening. It’s something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

I will try to reduce my estrogen a little over the next 2 weeks and see if it helps. It’s a fine art isn’t it.

Thanks again x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 07:40:47 AM »

Morning

I've been on anti-depressant medication since 1988 and eventually all the meds pooped out, in that my brain became used to the good effects.  Suffering from high levels of anxiety from an early age; with both organic and clinical depression; I have to take meds for ever.  It would take a brave person to wrest the packets, as well as chocolate, from me  :( ;D

Anxiety can be treated with appropriate medication.  For several years I used 'valium' as necessary, usually the. night B4 an event that I was unable to get out of; 5mg and could take an extra the next day which I never required.

Propranolol worked well for many years, taking 40mg at night to ease the morning surges which would leave me terrified.

I now have an emergency tablet for when anxiety hits me.

Depression is on the whole, well controlled.  Fortunately menopause symptoms came and went, apart from requiring treatment for vaginal atrophy.

:welcomemm: browse round. Make notes. Ask away.

Annaph

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 09:26:23 AM »

Dear CLKD,

Thank you for sharing. I definitely have depression too but the anxiety is more prevalent at the moment and is a beast.

I spent so long feeling ashamed of feeling both of them, I wish I could undo that time. It’s an illness and one I wouldn’t wish on anyone - there’s no cause for shame.

Naively I thought seeing a psychiatrist would be the answer to my prayers - I’m sure eventually I’ll find the right meds but for now it’s opened up more questions than answers and Duloextine has made me feel far, far worse rather than better.

It so helps hearing from others, particularly people further on their journey, so thank you so much for replying x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 09:35:10 AM »

Shame is a common reaction to those suffering from depression, anxiety, eating disorders ...... when I was depressed in the 1990s Mum told me "You shouldn't be depressed".  'no I shouldn't but I am ' - "Don't lead your Husband as dance as your Father did me".  What I found out in more recent years ...... in that situations often weren't Dad's fault, she goaded him ............  >:(. after that comment I never told her about my health issues  ;)

Could you go completely drug free for a short while?  Cutting out all input to find out which symptom mightB the most bothersome? 

I have a long thread about my depressive journey.  As well as 'My Mum'  ::)

Anxiety can be savage  :'(. Do U have a plan?

Annaph

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2024, 10:32:57 AM »

Hello again,

I don’t think I can do drug free - it’s sort of how I ended up here as citalopram wasn’t working.

I was v nervous about going onto Duloxetine as it’s very hard to come off so that’s ahead of me. I see the psychiatrist on Thursday and will ask to move to another drug. His first choice was Venlafaxine so probably that.

It sounds like you have had a handle on both your anxiety and depression and your symptoms and I admire that so. Despite it dogging me since I was a child I don’t feel I do on mine. It’s time to pay it proper attention and get it sorted.

And I’m sorry about your Mum’s response to your depression. My mum didn’t understand it too (despite my dad suffering from him it) but my dad and I have educated her and she’s much better now.
x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024, 02:00:57 PM »

That's a step forwards Annaph.

It may be that the brain became used to the AD .  Give 'venlafaxine' a go, I found it useful.  On escitalopram now which is good, 'propranolol' taken at night too.  [I may have said already'

MayB take a list to your appt.?

Annaph

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2024, 03:14:30 PM »

I’ve got a list and I’ve started a chart to keep track of all the dosage changes and dates/symptoms. It’s helping making it clearer.

Were you on Venlafaxine for long?
Pages: [1] 2