Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Spotting on Mirena  (Read 800 times)

basidev

• First Flush
Spotting on Mirena
« on: April 17, 2024, 08:21:52 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have scoured through every post available on this forum in relation to this subject and I still could not find the answer to my question, so I was wondering if those who are post menopausal and taking HRT who have a Mirena IUD inserted can help me.

I am on quite a high dose of Estrogen (equivalent to 1.25 microgram patch), and I found that I was getting spotting despite using Prometrium inserted vaginally.

On December 15th 2023, I had a dilation and curettage with hysteroscopy and biopsy (under general anaesthetic) and at the same time had the Mirena fitted.

No cancer found.

4 months later, I am still spotting every day. It is a very small spot, usually once a day in the morning.

I recently had a scan, which indicated that the Mirena is correctly in place and the lining measured 3mm.

I understand that for some people, the spotting does not go away.

My questions are:

1) For those of you who still have spotting, how can you be sure it isn't sinister? Do you rely on scans?

2) If a scan appears to be normal with no irregularities and a lining that measures less than 5mm, can I assume that nothing sinister is going on even if I continue to experience spotting?

3) If not, what am I to do?

A small spot once a day does not bother me in the least.

But it's not knowing whether that should be something of concern that bothers me.

I don't want to have to have a biopsy every 6 months, as that will require going under general anaesthetic each time as my cervix is too closed to do in the office.

I'm really curious as to what others in this situation do to ensure that any ongoing spotting is not an indication of something more serious.

I appreciate any advice

many thanks
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 08:28:38 PM by basidev »

Jan1234

Re: Spotting on Mirena
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 07:15:10 AM »

I have only just had a coil fitted 2 weeks ago but what I do know is from past experience any new hrt if your still spotting or any bleeding 6 months after starting you should get checked out with gp, I have been seen 5 times in the last few years in gynecology with bleeding issues or spotting all been OK sometimes I had  a polyp it was the hrt that's why I finally give in to trying a mirena coil

basidev

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 12:19:19 AM »

thank you:) :)

orrla

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 10:56:26 AM »

When I had Mirena in, I'd spot a little after orgasms. I am guessing, it was from that bit that it sits in. Later, orgasms were not as intense as before, as if some nerves got numbed,  so it kind of confirms that just by it being there can cause some spotting...?