Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding after 10 months of no period not on HRT  (Read 422 times)

Jackieflynn

• First Flush
Bleeding after 10 months of no period not on HRT
« on: April 17, 2024, 06:43:29 PM »

Hi everyone

This forum has been a tower of strength to me over the past few days.

I thought I would share my experience in case anyone else is worried.

I am 58 my periods stopped 10 months ago then suddenly Monday I started spotting brown/dark red by today I was starting a period. I was obviously taken aback as I thought I was reaching the end I immediately went to my GP who said she was treating me as post menopausal which obviously scared me ( obviously there are lots of benign reasons why this can happen which this forum helped me with) but I suffer severe health anxiety I said I haven’t gone a full 12 months how is it post menopausal she said because of my age. She referred me to see the Gynaecologist who has seen me before. Fast forward on I was lucky enough to get in privately today she has seen me twice for breakthrough bleeding over the last 4 years I had transvaginal ultrasounds and biopsies on both occasions and results were negative.  When I saw her today she said you are still perimenopausal I said well that differs to the advice given by my GP on Monday. She performed the transvaginal ultrasound and said your endometrium measures under 4mm which is perfect you have no fibroids or polyps there is nothing abnormal with your cervix walls of your vagina or ovaries you are simply having a period. Everyone is different and you fall in 20% of women who are late onset menopause.  Do not worry.  The relief was incredible I just wanted to reassure any older ladies that this is normal for us.  Obviously any bleeding post menopausal should always be checked but there are lots of reasons why it can happen which aren’t scary.

Hollyboll

Re: Bleeding after 10 months of no period not on HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 10:15:51 PM »

What a lovely post - glad youa re feeling so relieved and could get reassurance quickly. 

The ignorance of GPs still really is staggering.  Age is no indication of anything. 
Some still get periods in their 60s.
The more people are on HRT from peri/younger, the less it will be, because it's impossible to know on HRT whether one is peri or post. 

Hope you sleep very well!

xx

VioletAquarius

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 10:58:13 PM »

Thank you for posting this, it will sure help others in a similar situation, and glad you are okay x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 10:43:24 AM »

There seems to be a textbook somewhere that says everyone is meno by 54. I had similar. Saw the gp aged 61 because I was concerned I only bled 1 in 2-3 cycles when my own hormones didn't contribute and mentioned the 2 periods I'd had in the previous few months. Cue panic and urgent referral for 'unexplained bleeding'. Unsurprisingly everything was fine. You know your body better than anyone else. If it feels like a period with the normal pmt, cramps etc it's likely to be just that. My own periods feel very different to the hrt induced bleeds which are symptomless, light and short.