Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Acid reflux symptoms  (Read 680 times)

Bass1979

Acid reflux symptoms
« on: April 16, 2024, 08:13:12 AM »

Hi All

Wanted to ask if anyone has symptoms of acid reflux????

I have been on Everol patch for 6 mths now and for the last 2 mths I have been suffering from reflux.
Symptoms, epigastric pain, pain inbetween shoulders, intermittent burning in throat and intermittent cough.
Am on Lanzoprozole and gaviscon, I ve had an endoscopy which states everything ok.
Still not back to my self, at the weekend I had a night out (not done in a while) yes had a few drinks and it’s back with a Vengeance so don’t think I can drink anymore 😞

Am starting to worry a little now, endoscopy clear but my symptoms not, the back pain is horrendous don’t get me wrong the epigastric pain is bad but can cope with that but the pain in my back like am being stabbed is getting me down as am now thinking could it be something else.
I can’t get through to the gp at all

Could this have been brought on by my hormones? Just wanted to ask if anyone else has experience anything similar?

Thanks 🙏

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Acid reflux symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 09:22:25 AM »

For me acid reflux is a sudden burst of burning in the chest area followed by a lot of saliva. 

How is your posture?  The back issues may be due to other causes, i.e. age.  Could you see a physiotherapist rather than wait for a GP appt., she/he can check your gait, posture etc.. 

Does the back pain ease with medication? 

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 09:23:25 AM »

This was me exactly at the beginning of the year,had been on a cruise over Xmas and new year and of course had eaten and drunk more than usual but after taking omeprazole 20mg nothing was shifting it,eventually went to the dr who put me on 40mg,seemed to do the trick but she wanted me on it for a year but with the awful side effects from long term use I decided against it.So,what I take now is,ginger capsules along with camomile capsules and they work brilliantly,the only time I get reflux now is if I eat pastry of any kind.Menopause sadly does cause reflux to increase,so don't worry too much,it's just finding something that will keep it at bay x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 12:10:45 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = hiatus hernia/reflux.

Ginger makes me cough  >:( and DH used to use a lot in cooking.  Earlier today I felt a sensation in my lower R jaw which often signifies reflux fortunately it didn't this time!

Amers78

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 05:58:45 AM »

I've suffered with a 'lump in throat' feeling from January, I had an ENT appointment last week n had a small camera put up my nose n down my throat a little n everything is normal, apart from a bit of inflammation that doc said could be caused by silent reflux, I have no cough, no heartburn, doc prescribed omeeprazole for 6 weeks. I thought after my appointment and hearing that all is ok it would've settled (I definitely think it's an anxiety thing, brought on by my hysterectomy in January) but it's still there. Please tell me I am not alone with this. It's REALLY starting to get me down. I'm on everol 75 patch from January.

Xxx

CarolineM

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 06:41:43 AM »

Hi Amers78,

I started with a sore throat March 2020, saw an ENT guy who said the only thing he could see was very dry passages. So then to Gastroenterology.

Barium swallow showed slow transit and no hiatus hernia. Gastroscopy showed reflux in my oesophagus. Been on omeprazole (upset stomach), lansoprazole (didn't work) and now pantoprazole for about two years. The number of doctors who have said try gaviscon, try a different PPI and it'll help with your cough and indigestion has driven me mad - I don't have a damn cough, stomach pain or indigestion symptoms, just a sore throat. So it's silent reflux.

Am now weaning myself off pantoprazole really slowly to see what happens, as the sore throat is just the same - I think it's caused largely by dry passages, but none of the doctors seem interested in that. I breathe through my mouth and snore a lot, so that doesn't help!

I think it's another one of the delightful menopausal issues that plague lots of people - you're definitely not on your own with this! I'm wondering if the answer is going to be long-term PPI use, but this needs regular blood tests to check potassium levels etc.

Good luck!

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 07:07:09 AM »

Anxiety will definitely exacerbate reflux,it's a viscous circle unfortunately.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 07:29:22 AM »

Have you tried a different ppi? I found esomaprazole better than lansoprazole. Esomaprazole. I'm usually on omeprazole which keeps things under control. It's miserable for you. I had a flare up last week due to chocolate. Back pain between the shoulder blades is one of the symptoms of the more severe form of reflux. What dose ppi are you on ?

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 07:31:20 AM »

Tnx about the issue with back pain. 

Milk of Magnesia can help sooth too.

Amers78

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 09:05:48 AM »

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply to me ladies, I really appreciate it. I wake EVERY morning just hoping that the feeling n tightness in my neck n throat will leave me today. Unfortunately it never does.

Sending you all big hugs. Menopause is just delightful. 😜

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 11:42:40 AM »

Ain't it just  ::) but U R not alone!

How is your mattress and sleeping position?

Amers78

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 12:11:57 PM »

I have a decent mattress but of late I've had to rub ibuprofen gel into one shoulder n up into me neck every night, my posture wouldn't be great to be honest but I'm trying to improv that. Even the neckline of a t-shirt or jumper really irritates my neck/throat, a lot of this could be mind over matter though. I was NEVER this anxious about my health in my life!!!

The joys of getting older. I'm just so glad you ladies are all here to talk to people like me off a ledge. Xxx

Bass1979

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 12:47:18 PM »

I am on Lanzoprozole 30mg

I have finally got a GP  appointment next week and hopefully I get a different PPI

The inbetween shoulder pain I get more  when it’s severe and then it lasts days to weeks.

Thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 01:35:01 PM »

I have a wicked gag reflex if anything touches the front of my throat  >:(.  High neck jumpers have to be really loose.

Check your posture in a mirror, also your foot wear.  As we age we often require more support for the instep which may drop, as well as firm shoes to protect the ankle from turning over.   :o. I notice often that I am bending over more and more - no wonder my shoulders and back ache!

Lilyloos

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 04:10:59 PM »

Hi Amers, oh yes, this mirrors 100% with the symptoms I have/get.  Try not to worry, you’ve had camera and all looks ok.  Acid reflux/gastric issues very very common in menopause.  It’s an awful feeling the burning in the throat and a lump that won’t shift, it will settle when the anxiety settles xx
Pages: [1] 2