Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Spotting on HRT  (Read 976 times)

Kelloggs

Spotting on HRT
« on: April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM »

Hi guys,
So I had the mirena coil fitted last October.. I’ve had on and off spotting ever since.. it’s helped with my flooding periods but I’m still getting periods but was hoping they would stopped by now..no such luck!
I’m 48 and perimenopausal.. cycle is about 23 days.
My last period was heavier than any since having coil fitted and noticed a rank smell so took antibiotics for BV.. smell gone so started everol 25 (starting slowly) last weds and since then I’ve had brown spotting with bits of tissue (sorry tmi).
Is this normal. I’m thoroughly fed up as desperately need estrogen for night sweats, savage anxiety and zero libido but the constant spotting is getting on my nerves.. I’ll be coming up 6 months on merina coil and 1 week on the everol. Just wanted to make sure this is quite normal?
Many thanks X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Spotting on HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 03:15:44 PM »

Hi! Did the GP/Nurse take a swab to confirm BV? 

I think that if there is an odour that mayB the coil should be removed to check for deep infection, on an in-case basis.  Could it be that some blood has been left behind?

There are anti-anxiety medications which you could take as well, 'savage' - that's a good description to how I feel sometimes!  Some anti-depressants do help anxiety, as will 'valium' as necessary .  Propranolol helped me for several years.

Kelloggs

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 04:53:35 PM »

To be honest, no she didn’t..I saw the factor and she couldn’t have been less interested in the situation.. she did a urine test and no infection there and said the smell could just be the kidneys flushing out.. 🤔 I did think that sounded a bit odd.. we know when something is a bit off with our bodies.. because I’ve had BV before and thought it was the same symptoms .. but now I’m wondering if it’s a coil issue.. good call.. I’ve not had any pain or anything but I’m seeing the menopause nurse on Thursday so might get her to check it’s still in place..
I’ve just been prescribed propranolol and so far it’s taking the sheer panic away.. although the anxiety is still there.. I’ve been a citalopram user for years but stopped beginning of this year.. doc I saw last week said sometimes those tablets can cause more bleeding.. which I def don’t want.. after all the flooding and two haemorrhages I have a terrible fear of bleeding now.. it’s so crap being a woman at times!

Kelloggs

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 04:53:54 PM »

Doctor

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 05:30:47 PM »

Personally I'd have it out and rest for a couple of months.  Unless the Nurse can be reassuring that there isn't infection .

Sorry you've lost me  ;D - which tablets can cause more bleeding?  Obviously I'm not keeping up  :D

Propranolol every evening eased the awful early morning anxiety surges which would leave me terrified  :'(.  Initially 80mg 3 times a day for 3 months, followed by 40mg twice a day then 20mg in the evening.  In 2020 I stopped due to headaches and needed to check whether it was Covid  ::).  It wasn't.

How is your diet overall as lack of energy can raise anxiety  >:( ::)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 05:57:17 PM »

Good that you are seeing the menopause nurse. Hopefully, she will reassure you that the mirena is still in place. Ive just had a mirena fitted and I know the leaflet said to expect bleeding / spotting for up to 6 months. If  it goes on longer they may want to send you for a scan just to confirm all is well.

Kelloggs

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 06:25:46 PM »

My diet over all is pretty good, although I do still drink wine a few times a week and that definitely doesn’t help my anxiety.. my energy levels are through the floor.. I’m hoping for a blood test on Thursday as would really like to try testosterone to help with my energy and libido issues..
Lol… no probs.. my messages can be garbled at times.. so doctor said citalopram and fluoxetine can cause heavier periods.. I did wonder as when I took them sometime my periods would be ridiculously heavy.. not sure if it’s a thing or not, or whether my periods are just awful.. my mum and aunt both had hysterectomies in their early 40’s due to terrible periods so its genetics too!
Shropshirelass.. yes I think you’re right? I probably need a scan.. I’ll see if the nurse can see the strings on Thursday as I can’t feel them (they were there at my appointment back in December) but I know these things can move around quite a lot.. bloody thing has probably fallen out and I haven’t realised!
Thanks ladies.. it’s nice to chat to people who have understanding of all these pitfalls!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 07:33:00 AM »

Let us know how you get on.