Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Patch Availability  (Read 3430 times)

CherryC

Patch Availability
« on: April 11, 2024, 04:42:17 PM »

Good evening, Boots pharmacy is struggling to get my Estradot 75 patches lately - they managed to get a box at the last minute last month but it's looking unlikely this month and they say you need to go back to the GP to get a different prescription.  I'm not sure what to ask for if need be - should I ask for the equivalent but Evorel? Will I notice a difference?
Thank you

Joaniepat

Re: Patch Availability
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 05:46:02 PM »

I would specify Evorel 75 patches. I had to switch to Evorel 100 during the last Estradot shortage, and noticed no difference. If you end up with Estraderm, the other option, they are huge and apparently the least sticky.

JP x

Hollyboll

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 05:50:53 PM »

Some people do react / absorb differently on different products, others are fine.
If it were me, I'd try another chemist (non-Boots - they all have different suppliers) and if no luck, my first choice would be to ask GP for Estradot 50 + Estradot 25 - but you have to be happy with 2 patches for that time! (ps to be clear I've never been on and have no attachment to Estradot, I just mean if something's working for you I wouldn't change unless you have to!).

xx
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 06:00:30 PM by Hollyboll »

CherryC

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 03:23:51 PM »

Thank you both that is helpful information

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 07:57:30 PM »

Hi CherryC - just to add to Joaniepat's comment - if you really can't get Estradot - I was on this for years until the shortages a few years ago ( ?2018) and was given a variety of brands and lastly Evorel ( as the others became in short supply and Estraderm I agree is terrible!). Have been happily on this one now for a few years. I am convinced also it has given me a higher dose of oestrogen than Estradot, and is a bit more stable on the skin in higher temperatures or when I was hot. - Estradot used to slide about a bit in hot weather.

Hurdity x

CherryC

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 04:21:01 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, that is great to know and really helpful x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 05:03:24 PM »

Whereas I had the opposite experience! Evorel and oestrogel (old bottles) same strengths, estradot stronger. Estradot cling on like limpets, evorel invariably lifted. I guess my skin is different.

Sleepy123

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 07:19:23 PM »

The best patches I have used are the 100 Estradot.

I became so frustrated with Boots providing an ‘alternative’ I switched to an independent pharmacist.

Initially, I had to put up with Estraderm due to shortages (wouldn’t stick!).

Then Evorel which was ok, but I had to wear 2 x large patches!  >:(

The independent pharmacist has now started supplying Estradot 100 again, and I feel back to normal. (Not feeling different, but it’s like putting on a comfy pair of slippers)  ;D

I no longer order medication from Boots. They might start getting Estradot back in stock, but personally I feel like an independent pharmacy has more options to buy from different suppliers. 

I hope you get things sorted x

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 08:58:44 PM »

I like your analogy of Estradot 100 being like a comfy pair of slippers, that's exactly how I feel.

I too gave up on Boots during the Great Patch Shortage of 2019 and switched to an independent. During the last Estradot crisis I managed on Evorel 100 but did have the odd one come adrift. Always dreaded drawing the short straw and getting Estraderm as I hear the 100s are as big as hankies, but luckily it didn't happen.

I won't be going back to my local Boots for any of my meds, the indies are much better!

JP x

Hollyboll

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 09:24:41 PM »

It's so random ... Boots was useless for a while but then were the only place that had everythign I needed for a while.  I've now learned, much to my GPs irritation, to insist on getting a hard copy printout paper script - I go into reception to pick it up.  Then I go to a chemist and ask them if they have (or can get) xyz.  If it's not the make that suits me, and if I can be bothered, I take my script elsewhere!

Boots, superdrug and Tesco all have different suppliers, even indis aside!

xx

CherryC

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 05:53:11 PM »

Just for interest, I have switched from Estradot 75 to Evorel 75 and so far the transition has been ok.  I haven't noticed much difference, possibly marginally better on Evorel x

Tulip

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 04:45:10 PM »

Always check with nearby chemists - my pharmacy regularly tell me it's 'unavailable' and even 'nobody has any'(!!), whether or not there's a stock issue. I've always managed to get mine from other chemists.