Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 200 mg Utrogestan stop postmenopausal HRT bleeding?  (Read 11160 times)

lilbebel

200 mg Utrogestan stop postmenopausal HRT bleeding?
« on: April 09, 2024, 10:21:29 PM »

Hello, I’m in a situation where I’ve been experiencing on and off postmenopausal bleeding after increasing my oestrogen to 75 mg. I need the higher dose of oestrogen but unfortunately, I’m bleeding as a side-effect.

My doctor suggested we try taking 2×100 mg Utrogestan vaginally per day to stop the bleeding. Does anyone else have experience of this? If so, how long did it take for the higher dose to work and stop the bleeding? Also, were you able to go back down to the 100 mg maintenance dose after the bleeding stopped?

I’ve had everything checked out and everything is fine. Nothing to worry about. Simply the hormones causing problems..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:26:05 PM by lilbebel »

Hurdity

Re: 200 mg Utrogestan stop postmenopausal HRT bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 08:39:33 AM »

Hi lilbebel

Yes increasing the progestogen dose is one solution for treating ongoing bleeding issues - because the amount of progestogen needed to prevent the adverse effects of oestrogen on the endometrium is dose dependent. More oestrogen needs more progestogen and this will vary between different women, exactly how much you need.

You will need to take the progesterone until the bleeding stops and all you can do then is to trial going back to 100 mg and see what happens. Personally when reducing, I would gradually reduce rather than suddenly as the sudden drop in progesterone might alos trigger bleeding ( though if the lining is thin again, it should not do so).

Sorry I have no experience of this myself though I do play around a bit with progesterone doses sometimes because I am on long cycle HRT ( OK with my GP) so if I've had a longer cycle one month ie longer without progesterone, I might take it for a bit longer the next cycle or shorten the cycle. With conti HRT you don't have that flexibility but should still work to stop bleeding, if in your case, it's the balance that is wrong.

Hurdity x

lilbebel

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 01:06:04 PM »

Thank you so much. This is very helpful and reassuring. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain to me what’s going on and how to go about handling it. I may even explore cyclical at some point.

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 01:55:54 PM »

Hi lilbebel,

I was prescribed 2 x 100mg utrogestan (daily, orally) to stop bleeding (it stopped it within a week).  It actually turned out that I wasn't absorbing utrogestan well and so had to take twice as much to keep the lining thin.  In the end, for me, the Mirena sorted the issue.

lilbebel

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 12:00:34 AM »

Hi lilbebel,

I was prescribed 2 x 100mg utrogestan (daily, orally) to stop bleeding (it stopped it within a week).  It actually turned out that I wasn't absorbing utrogestan well and so had to take twice as much to keep the lining thin.  In the end, for me, the Mirena sorted the issue.

Thank you for this helpful information. It’s reassuring for me to have a sense of how long it might take to stop the bleeding. Though I know it’s not cancer or anything to worry about, it is tiresome bleeding with no end in sight. My doctor did mention the option of the Merina coil should this option not work out. Fingers crossed. I’m on day four of the higher dose and the bleeding seems to be lighter. 🤞🏻

lilbebel

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 10:32:14 PM »

Hello, I wanted to give an update so it might be helpful to other women. It’s now day seven of the higher dose of vaginal progesterone and the bleeding has stopped (cross fingers). Phew!

CrazyD

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 01:11:01 PM »

Thanks for this thread and the update! I'm waiting to go back to my GP as had some bleeding, so stopped all HRT (100mg Utrogestan and 25mg Extraderm patch, which we'd increased to 1 1/2 patches as I still had symptoms), had a scan , all was declared well within limits, so back on the Utrogestan and 25mg patches and within a few weeks a massive period-like bleed complete with period cramps!! I did think it may be I was not absorbing enough oestrogen, but maybe the progesterone is the problem. I'll see what the GP thinks but I'm pretty fed up! Thanks :)

Hollyboll

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 01:49:33 PM »

The problem is that stopping and starting are themselves fluctuations, which cause cramping/ bleeding as well as other symptoms…
It’s worth giving it some time at a dose to settle.

Also, although patches are supposed to last 4 days, many women have a dropoff after 3rd full day. That’s more fluctuations. So you could try changing patches every 3 days instead of the 3.5/4/twice a week. Total pain as means different days so harder to remember- but lesser of 2 evils?

Good luck and hth xx
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 05:35:45 PM by Hollyboll »

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 05:33:45 PM »

How long since your last period CrazyD? Although the NHS define meno as 1 year without a bleed there are some women who go longer than this then get one or more periods again.

CrazyD

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 07:59:13 PM »

How long since your last period CrazyD? Although the NHS define meno as 1 year without a bleed there are some women who go longer than this then get one or more periods again.
Oh I'm proper post-meno! Last period was in 2007!!  ;D