Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 20726 times)

Jan1234

Mirena coil
« on: April 07, 2024, 08:59:00 AM »

I'm sorry for being a pain for posting on here again but I'm stressing like hell I finally agreed to try a mirena coil with my gp but I've had a letter off gynecology and they will fit one next week for me, why am i so worried why am i stressing so much I don't know, I'm nearly 60 and have never had one but since the age of 54 when I was changed to a conti regime I've had nothing but bleeding problems they have worked for a while then I would bleed so have tried  different hrts, so for me it's either come of hrt and I've tried that last year and couldn't cope or mirena, but In my head I'm thinking how is this going be any different am I to old for a mirena?

Dazedandconfused

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 11:37:30 AM »

Hi Jan1234,

I had my mirena fitted at 60 due to bleeding as I didn't absorb utrogestan well.  I am seven years post menopause. 

I was worried and went in armed with a load of questions, which the menopause nurse answered.  It's the best thing I could have done.  Slightly uncomfortable fitting but not painful.  Mild cramps for a week or so, very slight bleeding on and off for about three months then nothing.  I don't know it's there. 

I know it doesn't work for everyone but I hope it works for you. xx

Jan1234

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 12:15:03 PM »

Thanks for reply i think to be honest my main worries is heavy bleeding and it not agreeing with me, as I had terrible heavy bleeding while on ultrogeston and that happened when I was in Spain on holiday but at least I had the option to stop it with a coil I know my gp said they  wont take it out until 3 months to give it time to settle, and I'm going on holiday in 8 weeks time do you use the gel or a patch as your eastrogen

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 12:25:49 PM »

I had a mirena fitted 2 weeks ago because of pretty constant bleeding on HRT. I'm 62. It's early days for me. I am still lightly bleeding (to be expected and not like before) and have some discomfort but nothing unbearable.

I was concerned about side effects just from reading peoples experiences on here. Ive had some headaches but not constant and it doesn't seem to have affected my mental health, so hopefully good news long term.

I really had no choice If I wanted to continue with HRT. I'm having estrodot 50 with it.

Jan1234

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 12:56:34 PM »

Mine is constant spotting since January but awful period pains with it an infection was picked up my. Swab in. Feb and had antibiotics but still spotting.and no infection there now biopsy done also in February. and bled constant for another 3 weeks provera was then added on top of my hrt on a 3 week course decreasing dosage each week. I didn't bleed or no spotting 5 days after stopping provera spotting started again bled quite a.bit yesterday now spotting again with period pains had enough now. so yes I'm going try coil

Suziemc

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 01:30:20 PM »

Hi

I had a coil fitted just over a year ago, when I was 59 and 10yrs post meno. Just like Dazedandconfused's experience, it was slightly uncomfortable during fitting (although I had a biopsy at same time and now can't remember which bit it was that was uncomfortable!) but I had no cramping afterwards at all. I had some spotting for three months but it was never heavy enough to need anything more than panty liners and, after a week or so, was more like dirty discharge than a period. It wasn't constant, kind of lessened gradually over the three months.

Definitely the best thing I did, I wouldn't know it's there now and I'd make the same decision again if I had to.

The gynae team at the hospital were fantastic, answered my questions and then on the day all kept me chatting to keep my mind off what was going on!

Please try not to worry (yeh, easier said than done!) I think there are far more positive experiences out there than negative. Oh and I use Oestrogel for my estrogen.

Suzie

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 02:58:42 PM »

Thanks for reply i think to be honest my main worries is heavy bleeding and it not agreeing with me, as I had terrible heavy bleeding while on ultrogeston and that happened when I was in Spain on holiday but at least I had the option to stop it with a coil I know my gp said they  wont take it out until 3 months to give it time to settle, and I'm going on holiday in 8 weeks time do you use the gel or a patch as your eastrogen

I use estrogel gel.  I had a lot of bleeding on utrogestan and one extremely heavy bleed, which was when I was put on the two week pathway.  The gynecologist suggested the Mirena after the scan and biopsy came back ok.  Bleeding on the Mirena in the first three months was negligible and now I have nothing at all.  It's been a game changer for me.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 03:37:03 PM »

I am same age as you and had my first Mirena fitted when I was 53 and am now on my second. I took decision as I wanted to use HRT but got reactions to the adhesive on patches and wanted to go onto Oestrogel.

I had no issues with the fitting of either them. I spotted very lightly for 4.5 months when I had first coil, only a couple of days with the second but so pleased I perservered with it as have had no other side effects.

I shall probably get another one when this one needs replacing.

Jan1234

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 08:44:16 PM »

Thankyou all for the replys I can see that mirena is probably my best option and after reading your replys it as put me at ease a bit,

Jan1234

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 01:13:12 PM »

Well I acually had a mirena coil put in this morning I'm just hoping now it works for me, ive been so against having one for a long time I've acually given in and had one, I was so stressed thus morning to get to the hospital and was sitting there for over an hour to be told my gynie had rang in sick but would be seeing a male consultant, he was absolutely brillant I did not feel a thing I was quite shocked when he said all done, he did tell me if this didn't work my next step would be an hysterectomy it's thanks to this group that I have decided to try one got more info off here than I can get from my gp I just hope this now sorts my bleeding problems out