Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Peri menopause or mental health  (Read 633 times)

shakilla

Peri menopause or mental health
« on: March 29, 2024, 01:20:42 PM »

Hi all,

This is a different one but how do you know if how you're feeling mentally is menopause or if its a mental health difficulty. I've been peri menopausal for 2 years. I'm 46. I'm on 75 patch and utragestan.
All my physical symptoms have gone and I'm back to sleeping well.  But mentally I'm always angry and irritable.
I've had a difficult few years. Left an abusive relationship and am rebuilding my life. I work in addictions with young people and its very draining and over whelming. I've spent the past 10 years constantly feeling lonely and isolated. And interspersed between this I was in an out of a very abusive relationship. I feel very unhappy with my life if truth be told. And being peri compounds thus as I know feel old and unattractive.
So I'm wondering is it my mental health or is it meno. Upping my hrt hasn't helped the anger or irratibilty so I'm thinking is it not high enough or is it my mental health instead?
Thank you and sorry its a long rambling post.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Peri menopause or mental health
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 02:43:49 PM »

U ramble away !   :welcomemm:   I would think that it's a combination.  Peri-menopaause throws up weird and not so wonderful health issues.  Also, U may still be in a fight/flight/high alert mentality so be kind to yourself.

R U still having to engage with him?  That situation would keep you on alert.

Working in your work situation may well compound the past issues with your ex..  How much support do you have in your work place?  Would you be able to take a different role for 6 months to ease how you are feeling.

I think 1 has to grieve for the loss of a friendship or relationship.  So anger and irritability probably go with that.

Is there a talking opportunity within the workplace or perhaps think about some counselling where U can vent.  It did me a World of good ;-).

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 06:18:20 PM »

I think many of us feel like this in peri, it's really the first time we have to face up to getting old with the associated health problems, loss of dreams, loss of attractiveness etc etc. Usually the dose that controls your physical symptoms is the right dose for you though other symptoms may take longer to go. It might be worth trying a higher dose though and see if you feel better on it. Also worth keeping a diary in case you feel worse at certain times of your cycle. Sometimes progesterone has a bad effect. Are you on testosterone? That can make some people feel angry too.
  You've had a difficult time and you're still caring for others in your job. Sometimes you need to be supported too. Do you have a close friend or family you could talk it through with?

shakilla

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 07:30:50 PM »

Thank you guys. I think you're right it's probably a combination of things. I've been thinking a lot about having a change as its hard supporting others when you're going through it your self. Just need to figure out what else I can do when all over done is these sort of jobs. I don't really have any support at the moment. My friends are great but I've moved away from everyone to start a new life away from my ex. And I don't like to burden people with my problems. I'm on a waiting list for counselling though so hopefully that should help.
I've always wondered if the progesterone isn't agreeing with me. I always felt terrible, really irritable on the progesterone only pill when I was younger.  But not sure what to do about that really. As I know I've got to take it.
Thanks both for your replys.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 07:48:24 PM »

Think back to why you began to use HRT and whether your body still requires it?  Though changing medication when 1 is already stressed may not be wise, however: I believe that some women don't use progesterone as often during their regime, with regular womb scans to check on the lining. 

Helpfully some1 will B along with better advice  ::)

shakilla

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 08:30:06 PM »

Thank you CLKD

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 08:55:26 AM »

Let us know how you get on.  Ask away!

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 10:28:56 AM »

Are you on sequi or conti hrt? I was assuming sequi as you're peri. If it's conti it might be worth trying a few cycles of sequi and keeping a note of how you feel when you're on and off utrogestan. If you can link it to utro it would be worth trying a different product that you may tolerate better (eg provera, mirena or cyclogest/ lutigest which are off licence so gp may not prescribe).

shakilla

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 11:45:37 AM »

Hi Sheila, I'm on continuous as I was getting migraines so they've advised to take 1 utragestan tablet every night and not have a break.
That could be a good idea though and see if it is the utro.

SaraUK

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 03:23:42 PM »

I went from utrogestan cyclic to continuous in January. After 6 weeks on continuous I was a total wreck. Anxiety through the roof. I’ve now been put on a long 3 month cycle with provera for 2 weeks. I’m at week 7 so far. Anxiety reduced but I’m only on this regime temporarily. God knows what progesterone I’m gonna have to go on continuously because i suffer with bladder issues and don’t want the Mirena near my bladder. Plus they found I have 2 fibroids which feed on oestrogen. Such a dilemma. Makes you just wanna quit HRT doesn’t it!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 03:28:11 PM »

SaraUK - I can't remember whether you are using appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment?