Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: NHS range for endometrial lining at peri-menopause ?  (Read 747 times)

lillith112

NHS range for endometrial lining at peri-menopause ?
« on: March 29, 2024, 08:20:47 AM »

I'm 51, was on sequential HRT for 2 years, I had to stop it November last year for 3 months for a hormone blood test as I have a pituitary tumour. I had lot's of continual spotting and 14th February had a ridiculous heavy bleed that soaked pads every hour. Was sent for a scan that shows thickened lining of 11.6mm with cystic areas and blood products. We don't know if I am peri or post menopausal. Dr has referred to gynecology and is talking about biopsy or hysteroscopy. Also she won't let me restart the HRT again until ruling out anything untoward 😞
What I really wondered is, what is the normal uterine thickness for peri-menopause as I can't seem to find a difinative answer ? 🤔
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 08:25:50 AM by lillith112 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: NHS range for endometrial lining at peri-menopause ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 09:56:15 AM »

I believe it's 5 .......... how do U feel over all?  How long is the appt wait likely to be?  Could you go for a cancellation at short notice?

What were your periods up to prior to starting HRT?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:04:47 AM by CLKD »

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 10:02:19 AM »

I think it can be 16 at it's thickest but can't remember where I read it. If you're peri and it was just before a bleed it probably isn't a concern but if you're meno or after a bleed it is. Hope you get your appointment soon.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 12:24:57 PM »

When you are using cyclical HRT or in peri menopause your womb lining will be very thick at the end of the cycle before it sheds so 11mm would not be at all unusual. 

For post menopause women on continuous HRT or no HRT are all, it should be below 5mm.

lillith112

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 07:32:11 AM »

I believe it's 5 .......... how do U feel over all?  How long is the appt wait likely to be?  Could you go for a cancellation at short notice?

What were your periods up to prior to starting HRT?

CLKD, I feel ok off the HRT, but do get awful insomnia and after the very heavy bleeding I do feel a lot weaker. Dr said appointment will be a few weeks but if heard nothing by mid April to ring the hospital. My periods were regular prior to HRT. I have had random spotting while on the HRT previous to this. I think the problem is they don't know if I'm peri or post menopausal. I did come off the HRT 18 months ago and didn't have a period at all for 3 months. I thought GP might do a blood test to tell if I am in menopause, but she didn't suggest this 🤔

lillith112

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 07:36:45 AM »

I think it can be 16 at it's thickest but can't remember where I read it. If you're peri and it was just before a bleed it probably isn't a concern but if you're meno or after a bleed it is. Hope you get your appointment soon.

Hi Sheila, yes that's the problem, they don't know if I'm peri or post menopausal. My last period was February the 14th, and that was a horrific period, heaviest I've ever had, literally couldn't leave the house as pas was saturated every hour 😞

lillith112

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 07:40:59 AM »

When you are using cyclical HRT or in peri menopause your womb lining will be very thick at the end of the cycle before it sheds so 11mm would not be at all unusual. 

For post menopause women on continuous HRT or no HRT are all, it should be below 5mm.

Thanks Mary G, it was the continual spotting and heavy bleeding that concerned me, but that has stopped now, last period was 14th February. GP should do a blood test really to see if I'm post or peri.