Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: High oestrogen  (Read 940 times)

Maisie

• First Flush
High oestrogen
« on: March 28, 2024, 01:37:52 PM »

Hi everyone, I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding my fluctuating hormone levels so this is where I am now. I had a hysterectomy two years ago hence I have no ovaries now. My gynaecologist did a blood test several weeks ago and it came out high at 846 so I had this redone with my GP and it came out at 88. My gynaecologist did another test and that came out at 701. He then sent me for an MRI to see if I might have an oestrogen producing tumour, which fortunately I don’t. He then told me to stop all HRT to see if it might be timings of when I am putting on my patches affecting the levels. So I’ve been off HRT now for four weeks and I have had the hot flushes come back so he redid the blood test just recently and that came back even higher than the very first one I had at 856. So the bizarre thing is despite being off HRT and getting the menopausal symptoms my oestrogen levels are higher than when I was on HRT. Can anybody out there make any sense of this please? Many thanks, Helen

Maisie

• First Flush
Re: High oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 01:43:23 PM »

Apologies seem to have accidentally posted the same message twice. Oops

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 05:25:17 PM »

I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding my fluctuating hormone levels

:-\ If U had already begun a thread why not continue on the same one!   :-\. if necessary 1 can alter the subject heading to keep it current.  Otherwise any responses will get lost.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 08:20:06 PM »

I hope someone with more knowledge may be able to offer some opinion on this. As I have been pondering how your levels have been so high.

I know our bodies can store estrogen in tissues. Some people can hold onto it. But after four weeks you would think it would have dropped a bit.

Don’t worry re the multiple threads. This site is v clunky!  :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:22:54 PM by Scampidoodle »

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 04:32:16 AM »

Maisie I just read your post with great interest as I had recently posted about my high levels.
I’m afraid I don’t have answers for you - I hope I can learn something from any one who posts to yours.
I do have ovaries but almost too tiny to see now so I can’t imagine I produce any oestrogen but my recent blood test was 2000 from my patch of Estradot 100.
I am gradually reducing the patch and will do a retest in about 3 weeks.
Hormones aaagh!

Tulip256

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 05:21:27 AM »

Oestrogen is also produced by fat tissue as well as the ovaries, are you carrying extra weight?
Progesterone will drop more following the removal of the ovaries.

https://www.hotzehwc.com/2011/08/why-estrogen-dominance-occurs/#:~:text=While%20estrogen%20dominance%20is%20usually,immediately%2C%20rather%20than%20over%20years.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 07:49:24 PM »

Hi everyone, I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding my fluctuating hormone levels so this is where I am now. I had a hysterectomy two years ago hence I have no ovaries now. My gynaecologist did a blood test several weeks ago and it came out high at 846 so I had this redone with my GP and it came out at 88. My gynaecologist did another test and that came out at 701. He then sent me for an MRI to see if I might have an oestrogen producing tumour, which fortunately I don’t. He then told me to stop all HRT to see if it might be timings of when I am putting on my patches affecting the levels. So I’ve been off HRT now for four weeks and I have had the hot flushes come back so he redid the blood test just recently and that came back even higher than the very first one I had at 856. So the bizarre thing is despite being off HRT and getting the menopausal symptoms my oestrogen levels are higher than when I was on HRT. Can anybody out there make any sense of this please? Many thanks, Helen

Hi Maisie

Yes that is very strange but if you have no ovaries then you won't be having fluctuating oestrogen levels - at least not to that extent - I would have though minor changes depending on the patch.

So my first thought is that the GP test was inaccurate?  Also was the oestrogen measured in the same units ie pmol/l? Even if the GP one wasn't it wouldn't explain the large discrepancy between the two, but yes the timing of the blood test in relation to your patch change would make a difference. But to me there is no obvious explanation of having high oestrogen levels after being off HRT for 4 weeks and having symptoms of low oestrogen ie return of hot flushes ( the latter which would be expected). That is the biggest puzzle....

Sorry I can't help further but I would resist any suggestion that you should not resume HRT because of the high levels in the latest test because if you've had hysterectomy and BSO, you will benefit from replacement if you are experiencing symptoms (and also depending on your age).

Hurdity x