Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Feeling of lump in throat  (Read 431 times)

Josiejo

• First Flush
Feeling of lump in throat
« on: March 28, 2024, 12:41:12 AM »

Just wondering if the feeling of a lump in throat /phlegm and swallowing hard to try to remove this feeling... is this a menopause thing??

Kasann

Re: Feeling of lump in throat
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 07:29:33 AM »

Hi 👋 are you anxious . ? I get a feeling like my throat is going to close over & feel the need to swallow with phlegm when I’m full of anxiety .
Or do you suffer with tonsillitis etc ..?
It’s such a difficult time with health anxiety . This forum helps even just to read others posts . Hope you’re ok today.

Shorty Pants

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 07:53:46 AM »

There can be several causes of this. Anxiety can be one, but also thyroid issues, or low ferritin. There's a condition called low ferritin without anaemia where your red blood cells are ok (no anaemia) but ferritin (iron stores) are low. Mine were tecnically 'in range', but bumping along in the low 20's. I started supplementing with iron and the throat feeling went.
Do you have any other symptoms?

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 08:10:47 AM »

Hi,could be silent reflux,I've just recently recovered from this lump feeling in my throat,had it for ages,anxiety also contributes

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 12:09:22 PM »

Hi Josiejo. This feeling is called Globus and there is information here about the condition https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/feeling-of-something-in-your-throat-globus

Mine was caused by reflux and investigations discovered I had a hiatus hernia which meant acid was leaking into my oesophagus. I left it a long time before I actually bothered to consult the GP and wish that I had gone sooner as the reflux did ulcerate my oesophagus. There are lots of causes though, anxiety being one one of them. My advice would be to get it checked out if it doesn't improve especially as this is a new symptom for you.

Taz x
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:31:02 PM by Emma »

Amers78

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 05:06:10 PM »

Hi, I've had this feeling for about 7 weeks now. It's like something is stuck when I swallow but when I'm actually eating it's nowhere near as bad, to the point that is goes away. I was at my docs AGAIN on Monday n she said it is sheer anxiety, it did make me feel a bit better but because the feeling is still there my anxiety is also still there. It's a vicious circle! I was always an anxious person but from surgery, 10 weeks ago, it's gotten worse. It's not reflux as when I lie down it goes away. I'm more relaxed in the evenings too which also contributes to my calm when I lie down. You're definitely not on your own. Sending big hugs xo

Peach8

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 08:41:08 PM »

I've had this on and off for years due to reflux. It got worse in peri. Sometimes it feels like a boiled sweet stuck in the bottom of my throat, other times like a tennis ball at my sternum. I'd try gaviscon initially and consistently, if that doesn't help, ask your GP for lansoprazole or omeprazole. Might take a couple of weeks to take effect.