Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Very high oestrogen test result from HRT patch and post menopausal!  (Read 659 times)

Sunnydays

Hello, I’ve been feeling fairly grotty lately, and following a blood test was shocked to find my estrogen reading was just  over 2000 - mine was 158 in December 2022 -  and the Hrt consultant had previously advised normally aim for about 200.

I have been on Estradot 100 since about May 2023. Prior to this, I had been on Estradot 75 for about 6 months (having previously been on 37.5 then 50). I did however always cut the 100 patch down just  a little as I wasn’t sure about being on that high level.

I am 61, and I guess I am post menopausal now!

I am now reducing the patch in increments over the next couple of weeks and will retest in 3 months.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how my level became so high!

Thank you!

Dotty

Re: Very high oestrogen test result from HRT patch and post menopausal!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 05:22:42 PM »

Hi what sort of blood test was it ? Was the blood drawn from a vein or was it a finger **** test ?

Sunnydays

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 05:58:55 PM »

Hi Dotty. It was a full blood test, drawn from the vein in a medical setting. The result was 2026 pmol/L ostrodoil (Howe we you spell it!)

RebJT

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 06:02:43 PM »

Hiya

That sounds like a false reading, could you have got it on your arm, or contaminated the test?  They're not designed to get blood levels that high from what I've read.  Was it a patch change day?

Do you have symptoms of too much, sore boobs, breakthrough bleeding, nausea?

Reb

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 06:25:06 PM »

Hi Sunnydays

Im post meno and last year i switched my progesterone to cyclogest i took it rectally. my estrogen blood tests were  1608. it turned out i had unopposed estrogen as i wasnt absorbing the cyclogest. i had swollen sore boobs as well.

im not saying this is the case with you but  it might be worth checking out x

Hollyboll

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 06:34:04 PM »

Hi - sorry to hear you are feeling grotty (and worried).

I've been battling with wildly fluctuating levels - this isn't about me - but what I've now learned, from a proper leading meno consultant includes ...
- Perhaps more common than when you're 50 or 40 or 30, but there's no certain age when we get post-menopausal, so I'd not rely on that! 
- as Reb says, it's worth knowing what day you tested (both 2000 and 158) - plenty people have a drop on day 4 or even day 3 / surge on day 1.  If it's patches, it's unlikely to have contaminated the test in another way. 
- if your levels are that high (well over 1000) there could be tachyphylaxis, which basically floods the receptors and therefore you feel grotty again.  I was in way more trouble on very high than very low levels - it also exacerbates any peaks/troughs/crashes you might have from own estrogen or any inconsistent absorption 'cos the peaks are higher so drops are bigger - and I've been very ill indeed - apart from sore boobs, not the 'typical' too high oestrogen symptoms but terrifyingly grotty and unable to cope.  I had been put on very high patches and when finally saw proper leading consultant he said the level probably built up over time (but because I had weird absorption going on this hadn't been  obvious as my levels were so swingeing).
- So yes you probably do want / need to get it down if that's a true reading but fwiw it might be worth having another test on day 1 of patch (ideally about 12 hours after change) to be sure it's a true reading, and then doing further tests at that same time. 
- Depending on that, when you say 'increments over the next couple of weeks', fwiw maybe don't rush down.  Your body needs a bit of time on each level to adjust and for you to know what's going on.  If you have that 2000+ level confirmed you could perhaps try 75 but then perhaps stay there for a good few weeks to see how you feel and if it's better get another blood test there before you decrease again?
- I'm surprised meno consultant said aim for 200 ... most say 400-600 (I think I've read here that 300 is min for osteo protection?) and that some women need a bit higher (600-800).  Could you get a referral to another meno consultant?  Waiting lists massive but a co-operative GP should see a level over 2000 as a priority and at least then you'd be on the way / list ...

But obvs I'm not a doctor, just sending you hugs and empathy. 

Are your scans up to date and have you been taking higher progesterone, which is also important at higher doses?

Hth x
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:36:56 PM by Hollyboll »

Sunnydays

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 09:02:32 AM »

Thank you every one for your replies.
It’s all very strange.
I had changed the patch the night before so it was quite fresh. No contamination I’m sure - I even wondered if manufacturing problem!
Even though I did ask for the blood test to be checked  - and it was correct - I still do wonder if it can be really correct!  The hormone levels weren’t even  the main reason for the blood test, just a kind of by the by.
I was experiencing absolute fatigue, anxiety and generally feeling grotty and constipation! All this could of course be my borderline under active thyroid. Which constantly dips in and out.
I have mirena coil for the progesterone. 
Anyway, I think I will arrange a re test in a couple of weeks and meanwhile will take the patch to about 75 initially for a few weeks and then dependent on that blood test, will see.
I certainly don’t want to retain the high levels.
I’ll keep you updated. Thanks again