Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Possibly an odd symptom  (Read 935 times)

MrsMitch

Possibly an odd symptom
« on: March 27, 2024, 11:10:27 AM »

I know that a symptom of menopause can be painful joints and now I'm not certain if the new shape bottle of oestrogel is giving me the dose I need or quality of product, it occurred to me last night a long standing problem I gave may actually be down the the menopause. 
At the same time my hot flushes and poor sleep arrived on the scene I began finding it painful to sleep on my left side - the outside of my hip hurt. This gradually got worse until the pain radiated round the front of my thigh and down my shin. Cutting a long story short I saw a physio consultant who said I needed a hip replacement, then had an xray followed by an MRI only to be offered a steroid injection, as my hips were fine, which didn't work. The surgeon said he had no idea what was causing my pain so I went to 3 different osteopaths who each diagnosed something different and couldn't put it right either!
The pain eventually went of its own accord after 3 years but looking back, that coincided with me pretty much getting my sleep and hot flushes sorted after starting HRT. Now my symptoms are creeping back, so is my hip pain.
Any of you had a similar experience?

StrictlyFan

• First Flush
Re: Possibly an odd symptom
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 03:56:13 PM »

Hi MrsMitch
I'm so glad I came across your post. I could have basically written it word for word in terms of hip pain. I was put on HRT 18 months ago Oestrogel (2 pumps initially, now raised to 3) and 1 Utrogestran at night.
My symptoms were mainly very poor sleep and fatigue and now this really painful hip pain that has got progressively worse. Just like you it's on my left hand side at the back but now radiates to my front and down my leg.
I have to say the HRT has not really got to the bottom of my symptoms. The sleep has got better with the help of Melatonin. Thankfully, the fatigue only comes on if I have a very stressful of busy  I recently went to see a Chiropractor who has tried Dry Needling on my left buttock. I have only had one session and apparently it needs various sessions help ease the pain.
I have a private blood test booked for next week to see  what my estrogen levels are doing. I have had to self fund this blood test as according to my GP, this is not available on the NHS.
My thinking is that this method of HRT is not being fully absorbed -hence why my symptoms persist and I'm now getting this weird hip pain out of the blue.

I'm hoping you have now got to the bottom of your hip pain and maybe be able to offer some advice.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 06:34:20 PM »

I had hip pain before I started hrt and assumed it was worn out joints. It went with hrt. Now the first indication I forgot to change my patch is hip pain. It's the outside but it's both hips. Might be worth trying an increase but as it's only one hip it may indicate a different cause. It might be worth examining anything you do asymmetrically - how you sit, if you sleep on the same etc mattress need replacing?

Hollyboll

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 10:33:22 PM »

I know this sounds mad but there’s a school of thought that relates left hip pain to a) female hormones b) deficiency in something- I think either b6 or b12 but can’t quite remember. Might be worth a Google
Xx