Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How long to stay on HRT  (Read 1072 times)

Jackier

• First Flush
How long to stay on HRT
« on: March 25, 2024, 01:19:24 PM »

Can anybody help, I was on HRT for about 10 years I weaned myself off last year and have been off for about 6 months, however recently I have had horrendous flushes mood swings and generally feeling rubbish, I have a chat with my doctor who said that I would have to come off it completely at sometime and gave me a time limit of 1-2 years. My question to you all is, is there really a time frame because of certain health risks? He has put me back on it but now I’m feeling reluctant to go back on after what he said.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:22:34 PM by Jackier »

Dotty

Re: How long to stay on HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 02:42:24 PM »

Hi there is no time limit for how long you can take hrt. Quality of life is important and hrt can be taken for life.  The guidelines have changed x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 02:49:54 PM »

There is no reason why any1 should stop an HRT regime if it's working and the lady remains well.

Ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, there are waiting lists and 1 can cancel the appt if no. longer required.

What R Your periods up to?

Jackier

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 04:35:00 PM »

I have read that it doesn’t matter how long you are on it for so why do doctors keep saying it poses a risk if you stay on it too long, surely if you are fit and healthy it should be fine. I’m going to get myself back on it and see how it goes, I just want to feel well again.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 05:36:44 PM »

I think it's because the old horse urine ones were dangerous long term and the advice was to stop at 60. The newer ones are very much safer but many gps aren't aware the NICE guidelines have been updated. Print it off and take it with you if you think there'll be problems?