Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Osteoporosis  (Read 20192 times)

jaypo

Re: Osteoporosis
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 08:34:57 AM »

After my dexa scan all I was told was ....no further treatment but suggest calcium but like I said earlier,calcium can build up literally anywhere,kidneys,heart etc so I decided against them.
I was put on omeprazole lately and long term effects?? Causing decreased bone density,I just feel Drs don't check these things out and it seems we're left to do all the homework ourselves,I'm definitely going to chase for another dexa scan

HellsBells

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 03:51:07 PM »

Orrla...-1.8 at 68 years old isn't too bad..HRT protects against further loss if it is mainly oestrogen. It is testosterone and progesterone which are the 'anabolic' hormones that stimulate osteoblasts (bone growers). Oestrogen regulates the osteoclasts that clear out the old rubbish bone. Sorry if I'm repeating myself. What was your Z score? That will tell you where you are on the scale compared to your peers and becomes more relevant the older you get.

I am part of a large FB group and many women have -3 to -4.5 at younger ages.

It's also worth pointing out that we are measured against (as mentioned) the 'average' 30 yr old - but no one has a baseline density test done at that age (unless a specific illness). None of us know what we had at 30, so if we are lighter, coeliac (undiagnosed) or have never done much exercise we are not being measured against our 30 yr old selves.

It is also worth looking at the FRAX tool - you can put in your own numbers and see what % risk you have of a fracture. It is used by the doctors to decide on treatment initiation or not.

jaypo

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 07:05:27 PM »

I can't quite remember my scores but they were in the -1. Numbers
Thank you for all the information x

Tulip256

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 01:55:01 PM »

Really interesting thread. I was diagnosed with osteopenia at age 42 hip -2.3, spine -1.8. I have been on hrt for 2 years and was recently rescanned and guess what no change whatsoever. I have also been strength training for the last year which I hoped would help.

I wonder whether it is largely down to my small frame. My wrists are 13cm and my waist is 24".

The gp does not seem bothered in the slightest although I have pushed to finally be referred to the bone clinic. I do not hold much hope for anything helpful though, probably will just be told about calcium and vit d again.

I did read dome research on the importance of testosterone for bone so managed to get some privately. I have only just started on this and hoping it makes a difference.

orrla

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 09:42:11 PM »

HellsBells, I know -1.8 is not too bad but why it's there at all if I am on HRT since I was 45?  I also take Testosterone, for ca 10 years now..

...and am experiencing all sort of issues with my health right now, not all clear yet as there is that endless wait, wait, wait now while all goes from bad to worst.. now extra problem from Estring not available..  🙄

🤗

Tulip256

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 07:10:47 AM »

@orrla Do you know what is was when you started hrt at 45? If it was like mine at age 42 (-2.3), -1.8 would be an improvement.

HellsBells

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2024, 04:15:41 PM »

From the research, if we do nothing, bone loss will occour steadily as we age. If anyone has the same numbers that is a big win. It takes something quite drastic to reverse the numbers, although it can be done. HRT + a hefty weight training regime for example.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2024, 04:31:47 PM »

I am quite happy to watch any1 doing hefty weight training  ;)

Brisk walking.  10 mins daily.  I believe that with Education Authorities selling off sports fields for housing was a downward slope for many children: lack of avilableility for sports/play time which must surely have an impact  :-\

orrla

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 11:32:15 AM »

@orrla Do you know what is was when you started hrt at 45? If it was like mine at age 42 (-2.3), -1.8 would be an improvement.

No, and I will never know, but had no issues than, now I have many, including Scoliosis.

How come you had it checked at 42?

Tulip256

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 07:16:49 AM »

I insisted it was checked due to early menopause. I now get it checked privately.

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2024, 10:55:02 AM »

orrla

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2024, 07:07:43 PM »

Tulip256, how?

Are you saying that you get DXA scan privately..?

?

jaypo

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 07:44:02 PM »

I just had my blood test results back today,ferratin,B12,calcium & Vit D all normal  :D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Spinal posture as we age ( Osteoporosis )
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2024, 09:32:02 AM »

I love people watching and have noted that many ladies of a 'certain' age seem to bend forwards.  When seeing my reflection in shop windows for example, I note it in myself.  Yesterday I followed 3 women, obviously friends, who all stooped 4wards  :-\

Please ladies, do check your footwear as well as how your spinal position might be when up and about.  My Deportment teacher {there's posh } told us to feel that the top of the head was reaching for the clouds ...... Note to Self!  I also need to get DH to push me more upright  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]