Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: citalopram  (Read 1596 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: citalopram
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024, 03:30:24 PM »

Fortunately, I have never suffered with sexual 'disfunction' ....... however, depression may well cause a lack of interest in many aspects of Life. 

In my 20s I did suffer with loss of libedo due to hormones but GPs wouldn't listen, blamed depression  >:(.  I was depressed due to not feeling sexually interested, except a few days B4 the period was due.  So I knew that causation was hormonal. 

I wouldn't be as concerned about withdrawing now, having been through it previously under supervision.  It is what it is ..... bounce back anxiety was awful initially until I became aware that those feelings didn't last too long.

Katherine

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 04:40:03 PM »

My friend had no sexual issues or any trouble withdrawing, he did it under gp supervision gradually. I think everyone reacts differently but it’s encouraging to know it’s very possible they will be helpful and might even be the right ssri for you.

discogirl

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 05:53:23 PM »

Hi Penguin

Its really awful. I haven't been on utrogestan since last May, after that I was on cyclogest until December '23, however I had unopposed estrogen as I wasn't absorbing the cyclogest so I had a heavy bleed and then a biopsy. All was okay, but even during the 3 mths off hrt I still had the anxiety. So although I've wondered if it was the utrogestan causing all this as I've never been good on it I think it's been the anxiety/feelings of dread all along and although I really didn't want to turn to more meds, needs must.

I think some of us are very sensitive to meds increase and maybe the liquid form might suit you better as you can control the dosage better.

Thanks for sharing your experience x

Were you on the utrogestan every day? I am on it 12 days per month but really struggle with low mood and heightened anxiety after the first few days, then with the withdrawal when I have to stop. However, the anxiety definitely predates starting hrt, its just not getting the hrt dose right makes it worse!

Good luck to you as well. I am very sensitive to meds, so hopefully you'll be fine on it and it'll really help.

Hi Penguin,

I'm post meno and on continuous hrt. I've just restarted hrt early March so yes I take utro continuosly now.

Like yourself I've always suffered with slight anxiety but nothing like this at all. Thing is when I was off hrt, come month 3, my anxiety was really really bad.

Thanks so much for your good wishes Penguin I wish you well on your journey as well xxx

discogirl

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 05:56:57 PM »

Hi MillieMoo10

Thats so encouraging to know thank you.

Its just taken me so long with the sleep issue that i dont want anything to upset it.

my plan was to start on 10mg.

can i ask do you take it now still or if youve come off it how easy was it to come off?

im taking mine with 10mg amitriptyline which ive been on for 2yrs now. i take the amitriptyline in the morning as well as i think im used to the amitry now as it doesnt make me sleepy.

Hi Discogirl

I don't take it now came off it about 10 months ago.   It was hard to come off but I had been on it for 9 years and came off it without the doctors advice/support (silly I know but I didn't realise withdrawal was a thing!) I tapered over about 4 weeks when I should have done it over at least 6 months - lesson learned !  I also think I was not only hit with withdrawal but also hit with the full force of the menopause that the citalopram had been masking ( I was one year post meno at this time) The reason I came off it was because I felt I'd been on it a long time but I also wanted to see where I was with menopause symptoms.  I started HRT about 2 months after stopping to see if that would help the anxiety and that is still a work in progress to get the dose right  that works for me.  I am much better now but still have low level anxiety so if I can't improve that with HRT I would consider going back on the citalopram with the knowledge that if/when I were to come off it again I would do so properly!
Best wishes

Hi MillieMoo10

I think you're very strong coming off the ad's.

It's hard to know what is the menopause and what is just my own anxiety if you get what I mean.

However, as I mentioned to Penguin I had anxiety the 3 months I was off hrt as well, so I guess this is my own anxiety maybe complicated with hormones xx

discogirl

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 05:58:38 PM »

Hi. I take escitalopram. So very similar. But dosage is usually half of citalopram.

I'm same as penguin. Taking a very low dose. 5mg. Have been here for years. But it's not doing anything. So I plan on increasing.

Never affected my sleep.

I too find it hard to increase. So this time I've been given liquid so I can increase 1mg at a time. I'm sure citalopram comes in liquid too. Might be an option for you penguin??? X

Hi Crispychick,

I wonder what the difference is between Escitalopram and citalopram, as they're both ssri's. Maybe the side effects are different?

discogirl

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 06:01:58 PM »

I take the sister drug, escitalopram.  5mg at breakfast, 10mg at night.  I had been on various ADs since 1988 which eventually my brain became used to.  Hence the swaps, most lasted at least 12 years. 

Withdrawal may be troublesome: I can't remember which 1 but it took 9 weeks of gentle reduction of dose.  I will never consider giving up the ADs as the deep depression meant that I was unable to get out of bed at times  :'(.  For anxiety I have an emergency pill as necessary.

I found over the years that I had to take a different medication or I wouldn't get enough benefit. 

For the intense early morning anxiety which left me terrified my GP prescribed propranolol to ease the surges which woke me suddenly. 

Let us know how you get on disco girl.

Hi clkd,

I'm on amitriptyline, have been for 2 yrs now, which the dr said I can take with the citalopram, I take the amity in the mornings which I plan to do with the citalopram as well. I'm terrified of starting the ssri but I can't carry on like this.

The early morning anxiety hits me as well. I live near the sea so I walk the dogs down there and that helps enormously.

I will keep in touch clkd xxx

discogirl

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 06:02:53 PM »

Hi Discogirl

I know someone who was on citalopram 20mg and she slept even better than before. She said she slept more deeply so less likely to wake up due to noises,etc. it was very helpful to her for anxiety too. I wish you well honey hope this works for you.

Katherine x

Hi Katherine,

How are you doing?

That's so encouraging, thank you so much x

discogirl

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2024, 06:05:59 PM »

I have a long term mental health condition and have been on Citalopram over 10 years.  I experience side effects the first 4 weeks whilst body was adjusting to it.  It has helped with anxiety.  However, it can cause some long term side effects.  It can affect sexual function.  They can also be very hard to come off.  It took me 2 years to reduce my dose from 20mg to 15mg.  So I would try and stay on lowest dose possible.  There are herbal alternatives but obviously they are not available on prescription and best taken under the supervision of a suitably qualified alternative health practitioner.

Peri/Menopause has exacerbated my mental health big time.  I noticed a big improvement in my mood within a few days on Evorel 50 but have had problems tolerating Progesterone. I am not on the full dose yet but I feel calmer on progesterone. 

Flower

Hi Anonymous1

That's so encouraging to know it's helped your anxiety. Yes, the thing at the back of my mind is if I ever need to come them, as I know they're notoriously hard to come off. You done well to reduce your dose.

The reason I'm still on amitriptyline is I couldn't cope with the withdrawal x

CrispyChick

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2024, 06:37:57 PM »

I've clearly withdrawn a few times as I was on E at 15mg and defo been at 10mg before. This is escit.

I do t remember the withdrawl. But I find start up hard. X

Katherine

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2024, 07:37:50 PM »

Hi Discogirl

I know someone who was on citalopram 20mg and she slept even better than before. She said she slept more deeply so less likely to wake up due to noises,etc. it was very helpful to her for anxiety too. I wish you well honey hope this works for you.

Katherine x

Hi Katherine,

How are you doing?

Hi discogirl,

I’m ok thanks, I’ve been through some major upheavals including a break up recently but at least I’ve settled on the right type and dose of HRT so I’ll be ok.

In terms of anti depressants it can be a case of trial and error until you find one that suits you. I have heard good things about citalopram, sertraline and Prozac although I’ve never tried any of them myself x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2024, 07:51:22 PM »

Well the info below hasn't helped me to decide what differences there might B between these two ADs  ::)

Escitalopram, sold under the brand names Lexapro and Cipralex, among others, is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class. Escitalopram is mainly used to treat major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Wikipedia

Pregnancy category: AU: C

Metabolism: Liver, specifically the enzymes CYP3A4 and CYP2C19

Protein binding: ~56%

AHFS/Drugs.com: Monograph

ATC code: N06AB10 (WHO)

Bioavailability: 80%

Elimination half-life: 27–32 hours

Citalopram, sold under the brand name Celexa among others, is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class.

It is used to treat major depressive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and social phobia. The antidepressant effects may take one to four weeks to occur. Wikipedia

Pronunciation: /saɪˈtæləˌpræm, sɪ-/;
Pregnancy category: : AU: C;

Metabolism: Liver (CYP3A4 and CYP2C19)

Routes of administration: oral, intravenous

Protein binding: <80%

AHFS/Drugs.com: Monograph

ATC code: N06AB04 (WHO)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:53:43 PM by CLKD »

Penguin

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2024, 07:22:25 AM »

I take the sister drug, escitalopram.  5mg at breakfast, 10mg at night.  I had been on various ADs since 1988 which eventually my brain became used to.  Hence the swaps, most lasted at least 12 years. 

Withdrawal may be troublesome: I can't remember which 1 but it took 9 weeks of gentle reduction of dose.  I will never consider giving up the ADs as the deep depression meant that I was unable to get out of bed at times  :'(.  For anxiety I have an emergency pill as necessary.

I found over the years that I had to take a different medication or I wouldn't get enough benefit. 

For the intense early morning anxiety which left me terrified my GP prescribed propranolol to ease the surges which woke me suddenly. 

Hi clkd,

I'm on amitriptyline, have been for 2 yrs now, which the dr said I can take with the citalopram, I take the amity in the mornings which I plan to do with the citalopram as well. I'm terrified of starting the ssri but I can't carry on like this.

The early morning anxiety hits me as well. I live near the sea so I walk the dogs down there and that helps enormously.

One bit of advice re the dosing is don't take it on an empty stomach. I get up,  have a banana and some nuts then take mine. I think this is how I've avoided the nausea which is listed as a common side effect.

The only info I've found online re the difference between the two is that citalopram (compared to escitalopram) is a mild blocker of histamine 1 receptors. That is not a bad thing at all!

Finally, wondering if on the first day you want to leave at least an hour or so gap between taking the amit and the citalopram? I'd never add in a new drug at the exact same time of day of taking an existing one, I'd want one to be out of my stomach first. But then I'm sensitive (and neurotic lol). So just a though x

discogirl

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2024, 07:37:31 AM »

Hi Discogirl

Katherine x

Hi Katherine,

How are you doing?

Hi discogirl,

I’m ok thanks, I’ve been through some major upheavals including a break up recently but at least I’ve settled on the right type and dose of HRT so I’ll be ok.

In terms of anti depressants it can be a case of trial and error until you find one that suits you. I have heard good things about citalopram, sertraline and Prozac although I’ve never tried any of them myself x

Hi Katherine

I'm sorry about all the upheaval you've had. I'm glad you're on the right type and dose of hrt at last. What type and dose did you settle on by the way? xxx

discogirl

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2024, 07:40:52 AM »

Hi clkd,

One bit of advice re the dosing is don't take it on an empty stomach. I get up,  have a banana and some nuts then take mine. I think this is how I've avoided the nausea which is listed as a common side effect.

The only info I've found online re the difference between the two is that citalopram (compared to escitalopram) is a mild blocker of histamine 1 receptors. That is not a bad thing at all!

Finally, wondering if on the first day you want to leave at least an hour or so gap between taking the amit and the citalopram? I'd never add in a new drug at the exact same time of day of taking an existing one, I'd want one to be out of my stomach first. But then I'm sensitive (and neurotic lol). So just a though x

Hi Penguin,

Good advice about not taking it on an empty stomach.

I really don't want to take it at the same time as the amitry and I think leaving it an hour between the doses is good advice. I'm my own worst enemy, as I do so much research into the stuff and find out loads of infor, and I've found out that ssris including citalopram are ototoxic meds which means they can frequently cause tinnitus. Something to do with the increase in serotonin and brain receptors or something. I already have tinnitus that usually never bothers me so I'm going to have a good hard think before I do anything xx

Penguin

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2024, 08:43:59 AM »

Well, out of all the side effects, I can confirm it definitely hasn't caused that in me which I am relieved about!
Not everyone gets all side effects and you won't know until you try. Could you maybe try for 2 weeks and stop if you can't handle the side effects? That's what I did when I tried mirtazapine and I was able to stop just by alternating days for a further week with no issues. Remember that what you are doing isn't a permanent or irreversible decision.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4