Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Has anyone taken calcium channel blockers?  (Read 8511 times)

JoannFran

Has anyone taken calcium channel blockers?
« on: March 19, 2024, 02:25:59 PM »

Hi

I've been on propranolol for a few years now to help with palpitations, racing heart and anxiety.  They did the job for a while but recently I've been having lots of ectopics beats.  I've been back to cardiologist and had echo, ecg and 7 day monitor and diagnosed with PVCs.  The cardiologist said they're not harmful and they don't treat them unless they are impacting life (which they are).  I have developed cardiophobia and can't really function properly when they happen.  Anyway, I tried upping the propranolol dose as I was on a low dose and they made me feel awful, tired and foggy.  Cardiologist has given me Diltiazem which is a calcium channel blocker.  But I'm too scared to try it as one of the side effects can be palpitations.  Has anyone had any experience with calcium channel blockers?  I'm wondering if they can help with anxiety feelings like propranolol.

Thank you ! xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Has anyone taken calcium channel blockers?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 04:46:22 PM »

Did U read about possible side effects or did the Consultant make that suggestion?

Leaflets in the box have to list every possibility these days. 

I've never had problems with Propranolol, however they made my neighbour hyper and agitated.   Why would any1 require calcium blockers?  Confused.me  ::)

Abbey73

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:16:31 PM »

Hi Joannfran,
My situation was exactly the same as yours , I have been diagnosed with pvc’s after a 5 day heart monitor but I also have high blood pressure, the propranolol made me feel dizzy , tired and very fuzzy spacey head and unfortunately for me caused a psoriasis flare , which I’d had under control for years so had to come off it , I was given diltiazem 120mg slow release and it worked great no palpitations but unfortunately I got dreadful flushing as a side effect to the point of having drenching sweats , doctor then changed me to vepramil another calcium channel blocker but I have it in immediate release at 40mg 3x daily and works amazing no side effects, no palpitations, try the diltiazem if it doesn’t suit the next option will be vepramil I think there’s only those two classes of ccb’s that control heart rate or it’s the beta blockers good luck hope it works for you , don’t be scared to try it , it may work great and you will be free of the pvc’s I know how horrible it is living with them for me the caused unbearable anxiety.
CLKD , two types of calcium channel blockers are used to treat heart arrhythmia as well as high blood pressure, beta blockers don’t suit everyone so there are other drugs cardiologists use such as the CCB’s x

Abbey73

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 08:33:40 PM »

Ps joannfran, I forgot to say that diltiazem and vepramil does help with anxiety in a similar way that propranolol does , if the anxiety is physical it will help especially for the heart arrhythmia , for me a calm heart gives me a calm mind .
Good luck x

JoannFran

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 08:57:33 PM »

CLKD, I googled side effects  ::) which is silly of me but I like to over analyse everything!  I'm a wuss when it comes to taking medication.  Thank you for always taking the time to reply  :)

Abbey73 - That's really really helpful.  Thank you so much.  I'm gonna give them a try.  Did you have the flushing straight away after taking the Diltiazem?  Do you get any swelling on the vepramil (ankles)?   I'm the same as you, my anxiety is related to my heart and it all feels very physical not mental (if that makes sense).  I keep being told it's anxiety causing it but it's actually the other way round and the PVCs cause the anxiety.  Vicious circle!  Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated  :)

Abbey73

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 09:25:37 PM »

The flushing started the day after my first dose of diltiazem, intense heat in my face and then drenching sweats immediately broke out , I had a very flushed looking face it looked like I’d just walked out of a furnace, my doctor said it would go as my body adjusted, but after a few weeks I couldn’t carry on, but this doesn’t happen to everyone it may not affect you like that , it did control my heart rate very well though.
No swollen ankles on vepramil , I’ve been on it since last July and it’s working well with no side effects, at first maybe a bit tired but it went away quickly.
Absolutely with you on the pvc’s cause anxiety, anxiety causes the PVC’s to get worse and round we go in that vicious circle, honestly give the diltiazem a go if it doesn’t suit ask your doctor for vepramil, it’s so nice when you finally get relief from the horrible arrhythmia, I too was scared to take either of the ccb’s , but so glad I did because it completely stopped them and in turn stopped my anxiety.
Good luck and wishing you all the very best x

JoannFran

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 11:49:48 AM »

Thank you so much Abbey73. That’s given me the courage to try them. I don’t know why I’ve turned into such a scardy cat in my 40s! I would’ve swallowed anything in my late teens/20s 😂!!!  Thanks again! Very much appreciated xx

Abbey73

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 12:35:04 PM »

You are very welcome, you are not alone with being scared to take things in your 40’s I too am the same , never gave it a thought in my younger years so strange what menopause does to us .
Good luck xx

JoannFran

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 05:43:39 PM »

Hi Abbey73 - I hope you don't mind me asking another question?  Did you come off the beta blockers for a period first or go straight from them to the CCB?  My dr has said it's ok to finish the beta blocker one day and take the diltiazem the next day without a break between the 2.  Just wondered if you did this?  I'm overthinking again  ;D

Thank you! x

Abbey73

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 06:23:48 PM »

Hi joannfran, you are welcome to ask as many questions as you like I’m happy to help if i can.
yes I stopped the propranolol on a Monday night and started the diltiazem the Tuesday morning, same when I switched to vepramil, you don’t need a break between the two and it was advised by my doctor not to wait otherwise the withdrawal effects of stopping propranolol would trigger the heart to beat too fast .
You aren’t over thinking it’s a very valid question, after my doctor told me to do that I did google if it was safe .
Post again and let me know how you get on fingers crossed it works well for you xx

JoannFran

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 06:31:14 PM »

Thanks so so much Abbey73. Honestly you’ve been so helpful I am very grateful.
I’ll let you know how it goes 🤞🏻
Thanks again!! Have a lovely evening xx

Abbey73

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 07:24:03 PM »

You are so very welcome xx