Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 12997 times)

Foggy:)

• First Flush
Introducing myself
« on: March 18, 2024, 06:06:34 PM »

Hi Ladies

I'm Karen and I have known of Menopause Matters for some time, with my gp referring it, but this is me just finding the brain space to open up my foggy and very much disorganised world.

I'm 60 next month and had been on Evorel Conti 50 for around a year now. Initially, I had gone to the gp unsure if my symptoms of chronic brain fog and fatigue were from long covid or menopause, or both. The gp at that time put me on Tibilone, before another gp changed it to Evorel conti. I now take Evorel 50 and Utrogestan 100 as prescribed by hospital gynaecologist only last week.7

I've always been super organised in my younger life. Spreadsheets, lists and a happy, healthy, positive and calm outlook. I now struggle with my memory, concentration, motivation and fitness. For instance, I have an expanding file folder with all my important documents for the house, family and car that I haven't been able to update in a few years. I've currently got three piles of 'filing' to do, all balancing on my dressing table, on the table next to my chair in the lounge and on the kitchen worktop. I know I've got my mot certificate somewhere in the three piles! Probably the year before as well. The passport is anyone's guess.

I have also got in my back bedroom, a treadmill, rowing machine, bike and abs sit up bench.  All covid impulse buys, that were used half heartedly and all of which are now pushed together to maximise room space for my clothes horse and ironing board. Fitness just seem like another world to me at the moment.

This new sense of self is not the me I recognise and I have in a past depressed state successfully helped myself with self help books. I'm reading again to promote positive thinking and to try to motivate myself for the simplest of tasks. I feel I'm having to force myself to do the basic things in housework. I have the goals list in baby steps to not overwhelm myself and really want to get my mind over the matter.

I've always been a push through and get on with it, even when I have been feeling really rotten. It more often than not just leads to me feeling more exhausted and sore, or breathless through asthma, but I do it anyway.  I very much want to feel better quicker than I am if that makes sense?

I don't want to let this mentally debilitating state be me forever more. It has the knock on effect of lack of physical effort and I worry this might have longer lasting health issues and I just become plain lazy. Just now,  I feel mildly depressed, but I feel I can catch it if I really help myself.  I have a lovely supportive, kind and caring second husband, married for 2yrs now, that I met online. We were together four years before we got married and we have a lovely soft and affectionate cat, so I am loved. My two sons, whilst close, are grown and have their own families. I care for my elderly mother and this in turn helps me to try to stay strong and not to collapse as she needs me.

I take 30mg Citalopram
Evorel 50 patch
Utrogestan 100 tablet
Magnesium & B12 supplements
Paracetamol daily.

I am currently waiting for an appointment for camera scan and probable biopsy (second time) for unexplained bleeding. The first time, last year, gladly nothing was found. I do have a small fibroid but have been assured this is not a problem. This time round though, I have bleeding and also painful mid area back ache and a real fatigue and joint ache and stiffness.

I find myself looking at others with a little envy at what they can do physically, in terms of keeping active and also how they articulate themselves when speaking, as I trip over myself, can't seem to find the words, lose my train of thought and bumble my way through conversations with people that I can actually see them glaze over.

In general, it does creep in from time to time that something might be wrong with the bleeding,  but I try not to get carried away with the unknown.

I have read the jokes and funnies and appreciate the beautiful and uplifting support on the forum. You ladies seem a really lovely bunch and I send my love to you all for your struggles with your individual issues.

Btw, has anyone found an effective way to remove the patch glue from the skin? I've tried exfoliating scrub and am currently on nail varnish remover pads with a bit of scrubbing needed. Any suggestions welcome thank you.

Hopefully we can all feel a lot better in the coming days.

Karen  xx

jaypo

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 06:22:39 PM »

Hello Karen & welcome to the forum 💐
I too have often had blood in my wee but it's been put down to VA it's quite common,have you been offered vagifem ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 06:24:22 PM »

:welcomemm:

Sounds peri-menopausal from where I'm sitting: The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::)

As we age which may mean more responsibilities: job, keeping house, bringing up teens, organising elderly relatives : our brain space gets taken up !  Brian fog [brain even] is common.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains and do read 'the bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads; because the body may become dry, inside and out  :o  ::)

Do make yourself aware of the agencies that may be of use as your Mum ages.  Don't wait until there is an emergency situation. 

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 06:42:23 PM »

Thank you so much for replying Ladies.

Jaypo, sorry for any confusion. Not so much blood in the urine but a full period bleed every 10-14 days, hence the proposed camera investigation.

CLKD, thanks for your wisdom too. I'm aware at some point, extra help will be needed from me and/or others to meet Mum's needs. She doesn't know of my struggles and I like to keep it that way. She's a smart 82 year old but I put a good face on. I couldn't live with myself to have her worried about me.

So nice to sit here, listening to the rain and knowing there are lovely ladies to chat to.
I don't do social media, only family whatsapp and I'm very happy with my choice of a nice quiet, private life away from facebook and Instagram etc.

I can see how the forum would be a lifeline to others in a much worse place than me.

Karen x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 07:27:57 PM »

Does your Mum live with you, in which you are considered under the NHS as a 'carer' so can register at your GP surgery as such.  The place to begin making enquiries, as is AgeUK - they have leaflets with lots of advice.  Also, what makes you think that your Mum would be particularly worried  :-\ , mayB she worries that you don't discuss the issues that may occur.  Anyway, knowledge is power ;-).

Do U have Power of Attorney for her? We have for my Mum as well as each other. 

We don't suggest that any1s problems are bettter/worse than anyone else's, nor is any topic OTT or taboo ........ so ask away. 

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 07:29:55 PM »

Ah ,sorry Karen.
Like clkd says though,it all sounds meno related. Maybe you should add vitamin D to your supplements,everyone should take them,especially women and especially at this time of year  :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 08:30:20 PM »

Hi Karen, and welcome!

Patch glue: have you tried baby oil? Put some on a cotton wool pad and rub the glue in small circular motions. Works a treat!

JP x

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 10:00:29 AM »

Take two.  I had a huge reply written out and lost it looking for an emoji  >:(

Morning Ladies, I hope you all slept well.

CLKD, Mum still lives at home and is independent with personal care. My brother and I support her with housework and shopping. She comes out for little trips occasionally in the better weather. My brother is in remission from cancer now thankfully, and whilst we were all devastated to learn of it at time, Mum and Dad both took it very badly,  mentally and physically.  Dad has sadly passed away now and I feel at Mum's age, what she doesn't know she won't worry about. Small stuff especially.

My brother and I both have POA for Mum for her financial and medical matters.

I appreciate all the kindness and supportive advice and suggestions as that's what I came on here for  :)

Jaypo, please don't apologise and yes, I do agree that a lot of what we women experience and feel can be related to menopause now that I understand it more. I am staggered by the sheer amount of symptoms involved.

Joanipat, thank you for the baby oil suggestion and I'll hot foot it out today  :)

All lovely, welcoming and understanding Ladies and please know that I appreciate you .
Karen x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 11:37:31 AM »

Foggy, welcome from me too!

Try not to worry to much about the bleeding. Good that its being checked, but many women experience bleeding when taking HRT.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 12:35:25 PM »

Morning Foggy - keep in touch.  We don't bite unless there's a 'Y' in the day  ;).   U seem up2date as to what is required regarding your Mum  8).  Now to get yourself 'sorted' !

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2024, 02:04:28 PM »

Thank you Ladies  :)

I hope everyone is having an ok day?

Mine so far...

Mr Foggy went off to work and I had a wee bit of a lie in with my book, while the washing machine did it's magic.  Then my turn for a wee clean in the shower.  Afterwards, sitting at my dressing table with no need for a closer examination as I could see them from 6 feet away, three perfectly formed angry, red spots  :(   Normally, my skin is clear, but I think it is likely due to my recent change in hrt over the last week.

Anyway, after a good rummage around in the drawers, I found a concealer and spent a stupid amount of time just making my already gargantuan spots look still there but a different colour  ;D

Downstairs to sort out the washing and cue the worst job of trying to poke your fingers in the wee slot at the edge of the bra cup to unfurl and flatten the pads that even somehow manage to end up both in the same cup!  >:(

However, I'm not beaten yet. I have scooped up the filing from my dressing table, receipts, payslips, cards not sent, covid info sheets and much, much more and intend to use my shiny new shredder to tackle this wobbling pile.  See how far I get...

Wish me luck  :)

Have a good day 

Karen x

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 02:26:03 PM »

:welcomemm:
What were your periods doing before you started hrt? And how long ago was that? Some women aren't meno till their early 60s so just wondering if there's any possibility it's a period?
 Are you on evorel 50 patches or evorel conti ( you mention both) which also contains progesterone? If it's evorel conti and you take utro as well it's an awful lot of progesterone. For some people (I'm one) utrogeston causes fatigue. I use a long cycle sequi regime as it gives me more 'good' time when I'm not taking utro. If you want to know you could try a couple of cycles of sequi and see if you feel better on oestrogen only.
 Finally, it might be worth increasing oestrogen once you've had the 3 months on this regime to see if any of your symptoms go.

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 03:01:40 PM »

Hi Sheila99

My periods were regular due to the mini pill, but I did have an unsettling time with flooding and long frequent bleeds when I was around 54/55.

The gp put me on Tibilone and it was great. I felt good, a bit run down after covid,  but definitely felt better on Tibilone than the hrt I've had since.

After around 2yrs on Tibilone a different gp said I should never have been on it as I still have my womb and she put me on Evorel Conti.  That was around 6 mths ago. After further bleeding and backache,  the gp referred me to the hospital gynaecologist who took me off Evorel conti and put me on Evorel 50 with Utrogestan 100, concerned about the lack of progesterone.  I've only been on this new regime around a week, so still settling to this. The gynae want to have the camera done and results back before any more changes in hrt.

Karen x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 04:43:17 PM »

You've been busy - we have a thread : what have you done today : you'll fit right in.

DH and I argue about a few things: the garden shredder, the one for house hold bills and the washing up  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 05:41:26 PM »

Hi
Just to say, given everything you've told us about, Your doing great. 🎖
Keep going, stop beating yourself up.
It's hard work looking after someone. Especially when you've your own aliments.
One day at a time.
Your bleeding could've been from not absorbing enough progesterone, so hopefully the new regime will be better.
I've been on utrogestion since Jan. Everything ok except the tiredness from it. I too had to switch because I had bleeding from not absorbing the progesterone from the hrt I was on at the time which was tablet form...Femosten conti. 
One day, you will feel better, then you can start a 10 mile run on that treadmill of yours. 😉
Glad you've found us.
Xxx

Pages: [1] 2