Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ovestin cream discontinued- help!!!  (Read 5669 times)

Bella247

Ovestin cream discontinued- help!!!
« on: March 13, 2024, 08:05:28 PM »

So I’ve been on a long journey with vaginal atrophy. After some great advice on here I got my GP to switch me over from estriol cream (which wasn’t working) to Ovestin. Despite my GP telling me it was the “same thing” I was able to point out it was a different concentration albeit the same active ingredient.
Id seen quite a lot of an improvement over the last few months. Then today I went to pick up my prescription from boots to be told there was a shortage everywhere. I called around a few chemists. Most said they can’t order it and one said it’s been discontinued. One recommended I ask my GP for a generic version which she has done but the brand is estriol. I’ve asked the pharmacist and she said it’s the same concentration. Does anyone happen to understand this or have any experience of using this in place of Ovestin.
The one I was using was estriol 0.01%. This didn’t work but Ovestin 0.1% did . Is there an estriol 0.1%?
I’m so fed up. The stupid GP said if this doesn’t work I should try a pessary (they clearly didn’t read my notes as I’ve used Vagirux (plus estriol) and this combination didn’t work.

I don’t understand why they would discontinue Ovestin   :'(

Joaniepat

Re: Ovestin cream discontinued- help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 08:11:34 PM »

There is another thread on this which explains that the patent for Ovestin has expired, and you should now request Estriol 0.1% cream. It will be the same as Ovestin.
JP x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 08:11:52 PM »

I can't find any mention of this being discontinued totally but it is being removed from the HRT PPC list https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/nhs-hormone-replacement-therapy-prescription-prepayment-certificate-hrt-ppc/medicines-covered-hrt-ppc. Maybe this has caused confusion? Do you use a pre payment certificate?

Taz x

Bella247

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 08:29:26 PM »

I can't find any mention of this being discontinued totally but it is being removed from the HRT PPC list https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/nhs-hormone-replacement-therapy-prescription-prepayment-certificate-hrt-ppc/medicines-covered-hrt-ppc. Maybe this has caused confusion? Do you use a pre payment certificate?

Taz x
Yes I do use a pre payment. Does this mean I will now have to pay for it on top? I don’t take any other HRT currently

Bella247

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 08:30:43 PM »

There is another thread on this which explains that the patent for Ovestin has expired, and you should now request Estriol 0.1% cream. It will be the same as Ovestin.
JP x

Thanks for that. I don’t suppose you know where I can find the thread? I hope the generic version is as effective as the branded one

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 09:27:18 PM »

I will find it and bump it for you.
JP x

Ayesha

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 08:16:39 AM »

I see that you've posted twice  :-\

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 01:25:22 PM »

Will estriol / ovestin still be given on prescription?  Surely it will still be given on prescription?

Minusminnie

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 02:33:08 PM »

Can't see any reason why it wouldn't still be given on prescription.

Jenna

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 02:40:13 PM »

Taz x
Is it definitely being removed, Taz? It’s still on the list you mentioned above.

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 03:18:34 PM »

Given the number of women who rely on local hrt, me being one, I can't see them making us pay, not after the all the publicity about women paying for hrt prescriptions, as highlighted by Davina McCall. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 06:11:59 PM »

As far as I know as it's on my repeat, it isn't likely to be withdrawn, it's simply a different manufacturer.  If however the costs go up, then the NHS may refuse to 'buy' it. 

Bella247

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 10:39:29 PM »

I thought I should update on this in case anyone’s worried about this. I got the generic version of this. It’s actually manufactured by the same company and seems fine. Panic over  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2024, 08:08:36 AM »

:thankyou:
Pages: [1] 2