Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ovestin  (Read 19763 times)

Minusminnie

Re: Ovestin
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2024, 02:38:12 PM »

Maybe now the patent is going it is to get in first with calling it an Estriol 0.1% cream before other companies start making it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2024, 06:14:36 PM »

It's probably due to the patent running out.  Ask your Pharmacist?

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2024, 09:41:51 AM »

I collect my 2 packets of 'ovestin' yesterday.  Although the script said estriol  ::)

Did U ask the pharmacist Minusminnie?  It mayB that areas are using up 'ovestin' B4 ordering estriol  :-\

Minusminnie

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2024, 11:41:13 AM »

I can’t do a repeat prescription until the end of the month.  Will see what I get given & quiz the pharmacist then. My script says estriol 0.1% too so at some point I guess will be open to be being given a generic…..deep joy!

fiftyplus

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2024, 12:15:26 PM »

I collected 1 Ovestin on Friday - I still have the balance/remaining 1 from my prescription to collect today - thanks for reminding me x

Hurdity

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2024, 09:01:56 AM »

If it is made by the same company with exactly the same concentration of estriol and the same ingredients, then it's the same product and shouldn't make any difference. Like I said the same thing happened with gynest cream/estriol 0.01 % - the actual tube was exactly the same too - just not called by the brand name any more.

I'm not au fait with how pharma works and I'm sure there will be something online - but I guess the company that first developes the product takes out a patent and after a certain number of years, the patent expires and then maybe other companies are allowed to produce it - but it seems weird that the same company just changes the name but produces the same product. I mean with Vagifem, it's still called Vagifem but the other company producing it called it Vagirux. Maybe the original company calls it by the generic name rather than a new brand name to ensure that's the one that will be used. What I'm confused about is that some generics are completely different from the original brand named one (because I think a generic just has to have the dose of the active ingredient the same - like with paracetamol etc), and some are exactly the same - like Vagirux and Vagifem (I think...). Probably something to do with monopolies??

Hurdity x

Minusminnie

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2024, 11:31:25 AM »

Just done my repeat prescription which is now saying Estriol 1mg/g cream online.
My last print out enclosed in the bag with the last repeat said Estriol 0.1% cream.
Will see what i get given after Easter.

If other firms are allowed to call any generic produced Estriol 1mg/g my worry is that the pharmacist in the future is not going to want to get a product made by the original firm should you require it.

It won't be like asking for Vagifem specifically if you can't get on with a generic. Ovestin as such will not exist any more to ask for specifically.

Minusminnie

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2024, 11:28:09 AM »

Picked up my prescription this morning and have been give Estriol 1mg/g made by Aspen same company as Ovestin but not labelled now as Ovestin. So that should be okay.

Will quibble another time if that changes.

Dierdre

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2024, 11:52:12 AM »

I suppose we'll know it's the old Ovestin if it's made by Aspen. I'm still waiting a week later for my repeat as Boots as had to order it.

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2024, 11:55:11 AM »

Wonder why Boots had to order VA treatment  :-\.  It's the same active ingredient  ::)

Dierdre

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2024, 08:42:58 PM »

Because they have none in stock, Ovestin or Estriol 1mg/g.

Dierdre

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2024, 02:17:16 PM »

Rang Boots again today and still no stock of Ovestin or Estriol 1mg! Getting worried now,  luckily I've a tube in hand but they have no date when it will be in stock again. The pharmacist said she will keep reordering,  I had to explain about Ovestin being discontinued, she then checked and it had been taken off their list. I told her she needs to order Estriol 1mg, shouldn't they know these things.

Ayesha

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2024, 03:42:09 PM »

Ovestin is still available to buy from most of the online pharmacies, perhaps they have plenty in stock until it runs out.

Dierdre

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2024, 08:45:08 PM »

I've got another prescription from the doctor ready tomorrow to take around the other chemists to see if they have any left.

Dierdre

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 AM »

Finally after 5 chemists I got Estriol 1mg at ASDA pharmacy. Some of the chemists didn't know Ovestin had been changed to Estriol, they said no one had informed them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4