Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ovestin  (Read 19760 times)

Dierdre

Re: Ovestin
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 02:26:32 PM »

I just got some today. No problem.

From reply above, supply issues until July 2022? That's two years ago.

Yes, it seems to be happening again, just pointing out it has happened before. Women are asking for this kind of medication more now than ever before so supply isn't meeting demand. There are shortages with other forms of HRT too.
Problem is though the alternatives aren't always as good or don't suit you so it's back to finding one that does again. Hopefully they will start producing more.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:08:38 PM by Dierdre »

Dierdre

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 02:30:56 PM »

:thankyou:   stuck in the Suez Canal then ?

Doubt it would be there CLKD, it's made in Dublin Ireland, unless that's just where it's packed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 04:01:23 PM »

Well toothpaste is now manufactured in China  :o

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 05:23:52 PM »

Just to clarify re estriol vaginal cream.

Once upon a time there were two branded estriol creams - Gynest and Ovestin. Gynest was 10 x weaker than Ovestin, at 0.1 mg per g ie 0.01 %. Ovestin is (was?) 1 mg per g ie 1 %. The dosage for the Gynest cream was much greater than for Ovestin (because it was weaker) so it could therefore easily be used more liberally without messing up the dose.

Some years ago Gynest was discontinued and replaced with a generic version (well so I thought but I've just looked it up and it seems to be there again!) - exactly the same formulation that I could make out - and just called Estriol cream. Same dose, same effect as Gynest.

Fast forward to now and I see that the same thing has happened to Ovestin - now discontinued as a brand name but replaced with a generic, exactly the same formulation and dosage. Unfortunately also called Estriol cream.

[I think to do with expiry of patent? Like happened with Vagifem and also Utrogestan? So the company which developed it originally no longer has a monopoly on production.]

This means now, as I understand, both are called Estriol cream but at two different concentrations and dosages, and therefore it is important to specify which you want. The original 0.1% Estriol cream is just called Estriol cream, and the stronger (Ovestin) 1 % cream is called Estriol 1 mg/g Cream https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5384/smpc

For those on repeat prescriptions, the pharmacy should know what doses these creams are and just change your prescription from Ovestin to Estriol 1% and I suggest anyone concerned should check their repeat to ensure they are prescribed the right one.

So there you have it!

Hurdity x

Minusminnie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 06:30:16 PM »

Thanks I for one will now put my reading glasses on and check the packet before I leave the pharmacy next time.

Joaniepat

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 06:53:13 PM »

Thanks, Hurdity  :)
Those who have Ovestin as a brand name specified on their repeat prescriptions may need to get their surgeries to change it to Estriol cream 0.1%.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 07:21:54 PM »

Tnx all. It's usual for companies to take over production once patents have run out. 

Apple

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 07:26:27 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I would never have found out all this without your help.

Joaniepat

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 09:30:42 PM »

Bumped for Bella247

Jules

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2024, 10:02:30 PM »

Thankyou for the info. I'm going to check tomorrow even though I don't need it yet as I don't want to run out and not be able to get anymore. It can be called Ronald Mcdonald for all I care as long as it does the same job.

Ayesha

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 10:53:08 PM »

I can't find anything online about the issue with Ovestin. A well kept secret perhaps!

Bella247

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2024, 06:59:58 AM »

Bumped for Bella247

Thank you so much! I’m picking up the generic version today. I bloody hope it works x

Jules

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2024, 07:25:17 AM »

Bumped for Bella247

Thank you so much! I’m picking up the generic version today. I bloody hope it works x

I have different versions of vagifem each time. All 3 are fine for me so hopefully its the same with ovestin. I have wondered about supply when so many of us are becoming more clued up about treatments in menopause.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2024, 08:11:35 AM »

My new script states 'estriol' ...........

Dierdre

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2024, 09:27:13 AM »

Looking at the link it's still marketed by Aspen in Dublin, looks like they've just changed the name. Strange after so many years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4