Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Splitting nails  (Read 16945 times)

Penguin

Re: Splitting nails
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 08:10:55 PM »

Thanks girls, really appreciate your help rubber gloves,nail oil and collagen.
Hey we could form a band and call ourselves that  ;D

Actually, my friend has a beauty salon and she uses a nail repair / strength system called IBX. I can't put direct links on here but have a Google, she says it is what a lot of the professionals use x

jaypo

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 07:52:05 AM »

Thanks penguin,off to do that now xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 03:58:03 PM »

The most common vitamin deficiencies that can lead to split nails are: iron deficiency. vitamin B7 (biotin) deficiency. zinc deficiency.

My therapist has problems but no advice for repair.  She has used false nails but the problems returns when she removes them. 

My feet and hands feel as soft as a babies bum after 2 hours treatment  8) :-*

jaypo

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 08:20:32 PM »

I do think I should get a vit deficiency test,wonder if the dr would do one 🤷‍♀️

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 08:57:07 PM »

Which vitamin do you think might be missing?

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 08:11:14 AM »

Not sure Taz,maybe ones that clkd listed? It's just so strange that suddenly they're ALL splitting down the middle 🤷‍♀️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2024, 08:12:36 AM »

It's awful.  In the meantime, I would use sellotape .......... those finger stalls can cause sweating.

Penguin

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 09:09:02 AM »

I do think I should get a vit deficiency test,wonder if the dr would do one 🤷‍♀️

I think the GP only do b12, folate and D3. You could look at medi checks they do home testing kits? Perhaps a broad range of general bloods from the GP might shed some light on it though?

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2024, 10:27:39 AM »

If you have other symptoms of deficiency then your GP will probably do a test. Mine wouldn't test for Vitamin D until I had developed more specific symptoms other than brittle and breaking hair and I was then found to be really low. There is advice online about how to help with the problem. It is really common with people who have their hands frequently in water but is also linked to psoriasis and iron deficiency I think. Also, are your toenails also affected in the same way as I remember a podiatrist examining my finger nails when trying to work out whether my toe  nail splitting was also happening to my finger nails which would indicate a nutrient deficiency. Do you have ridges before they split?

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 03:10:31 PM »

Thanks penguin for all your help xxx
Yes Taz I have ridges,had them for some time but this is the first time they've started to split vertically,my toenails are teeny but my big toenails also have ridges but not splitting,so maybe it is down to the nail polish, take vit d + K2 every day, was on calcium from the Dr but stopped as I was scared it would build in all the wrong places,I had a bone density scan and have osteopenia,this was over two years ago now x
Pages: 1 [2]