Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Splitting nails  (Read 16944 times)

jaypo

Splitting nails
« on: March 12, 2024, 10:09:50 AM »

Has anyone got nails that split vertically? I have ridges in mine,which I know is an age related thing but now they are split at the tip down towards the bed,they catch on everything and is painful if they split too far. I've tried all the vitamins for hair and nails....useless,so just wondered if anyone had tried anything. I'm even thinking of getting false nails for a while xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Splitting nails
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 10:13:55 AM »

R U lacking in vitamins or minerals?

Mine have ridges also I've damaged the nail bed so 2 nails don't grow straight, they split so have to be kept filed close.  Otherwise they catch, good job that I don't wear tights !

I'm getting a manicure and pedicure tomorrow, if she makes any comment I'll let you know.  I used to eat raw jelly as a kid .........  :-X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 10:25:58 AM »

Jaypo do you wear gloves when washing up etc? Do you use nail polish which can dry the nails? Also have you had your blood tested lately to rule out any abnormalities? Sorry too many questions. My dad had this but it was tied in with his (at the time) undiagnosed psoriasis

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 10:35:11 AM »

Thanks ladies,yes please clkd,do ask when your getting your pedicure.
I had a full blood test done just last month Taz all ok but wondering about a vitamin deficiency test. Funny you should mention the nail polish,it's something I rarely use BUT on holiday over Xmas and new year I was wearing it constantly......hmmm,interesting.
And what does ...doing the washing up mean  ;D ;D no,NEVER wear gloves,maybe that's something I should start doing x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 01:32:27 PM »

However, if the hands are sweaty inside rubber gloves, it can cause it's own problems  ::)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 05:01:39 PM by CLKD »

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 02:04:08 PM »

I had a full blood test done just last month Taz all ok but wondering about a vitamin deficiency test. Funny you should mention the nail polish,it's something I rarely use BUT on holiday over Xmas and new year I was wearing it constantly......hmmm,interesting.
And what does ...doing the washing up mean  ;D ;D no,NEVER wear gloves,maybe that's something I should start doing x

I used to wear gel nails, not false ones, but where they paint the gel on your own nail and then coat it with something that they then set under UV light. Personally I think coating your nails with anything like that will make it worse, they can't breathe and they dry out. When I'd have a break from the gel it took 3-6 months for my nails to get strong again, until then they'd be weak, bendy and split really easily. I'd look at a good quality conditioning treatment that you can paint on, keep them short and use oil every day. I am not sure about supplements but keeping them coated in something strengthening may well help. Dodge the gel and falsies tho x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 02:25:59 PM »

I agree Penguin, the few times that I have had shellac gel paint the nails have felt softer somehow. 

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 05:00:56 PM »

Oh ok, did wonder if falsies would make them worse,I've got oil from Opi but I think I'll look for strengthening stuff too,geez I'm falling to pieces these days

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 05:45:43 PM »

🤣🤣Hot water and washing up liquid etc softens and weakens the nails. I had to wear gloves to even wash my hair for a while.

Taz x

Cara999

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 07:00:16 PM »

Mine were like this, started collagen powder and my nails are now so strong xx

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 07:08:01 PM »

Oh ok, did wonder if falsies would make them worse,I've got oil from Opi but I think I'll look for strengthening stuff too,geez I'm falling to pieces these days

The opi oil is good - see if they also have strengthening one and then a clear coat of varnish on top x

mandss

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 07:23:54 PM »

I have one nail that is permanently split downwards, I have tried the OPI nail oil, I put a gel nail layer over it otherwise  it would have broken off by now and be very painful. I am currently trying the new OPI nail repair mode, I used it for the first 6 days as required, and now use it every time I take the gel nail polish off. I have cut the nail as short as I can. I am running out of ideas.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 07:40:05 PM »

Stop using the gel nail varnish.  The nails need to breathe .........

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 07:54:38 PM »

Mine were like this, started collagen powder and my nails are now so strong xx
What is the name of it Cara?

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 07:56:40 PM »

Thanks girls, really appreciate your help rubber gloves,nail oil and collagen.
Hey we could form a band and call ourselves that  ;D
Pages: [1] 2