Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie - 52 and not coping  (Read 17306 times)

Lisa M

Newbie - 52 and not coping
« on: March 11, 2024, 01:21:10 PM »

Hi all ,
Nice to see I’m really not alone!
I’m Lisa , 52 , divorced. Currently struggling with this menopause stuff.
I work full time in eye healthcare and normally cope really well . Not at the moment though.
I’m on Evorel Conti as not had a proper period for 18m. About 5 weeks ago I had some spotting out of nowhere so contacted my GP for advice . He has scheduled a scan for this week . In the meantime I’ve started suffering really bad anxiety , esp first thing in morn , loss of appetite and ovary pain . Not horrendous pain but I can “feel” my ovaries if that makes sense? Like a fluttering feeling too.  And just awful PMT type feelings of low mood , sore boobs , pressure in my head ,terrible anxiety, clammy in night but can’t warm up during day , extreme fatigue, no zest for life and scared I’m losing my mind ! I’ve also been on citalopram for many years as I have anxiety issues anyway . Also started taking magnesium and vit d as I heard that can help .

Thanks for reading , even booked talking therapy with nhs as my mental health feels bad .
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 01:23:38 PM by Lisa M »

Dotty

Re: Newbie - 52 and not coping
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 03:44:41 PM »

Hello 👋 and welcome.

How long have you been on Evorel Conti ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 03:57:22 PM »

Hi. Perimenopause are the years leading up to the final bleed = menopause.  When hormones rise and fall so we have various health issues.  Anxiety levels can be affected by hormonal upheavals too so talking therapy will help.

As will checking your over all diet: mayB write down everything that you eat/drink for 3 days and see if there is something that U are able to alter.  In recent years I've tried to cut out processed food stuffs, adding more veg - DH is the Chef ;-) - although I'm not good at extra fruit  ::).  Eating little and often helps my anxiety too.

If your periods haven't been present for over 12 months the 'show' may well have been triggered by the HRT.  A scan will give you a base line from which to work.  In the meantime put the product names into the search box: read the appropriate threads and make notes.  Let us know how you get on.

Many of us may be low in VitD so taking capsules/tablets won't do any harm.  Which dose of Citalopram do you take?

Lisa M

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 05:19:41 PM »

Hello 👋 and welcome.

How long have you been on Evorel Conti ?

Hi ty for reply . I was on Evorel sequie for a couple years then gp switched me to conti in Oct last year as I said I had been bleed free for a year .

Ty x

Lisa M

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 05:21:40 PM »

Hi. Perimenopause are the years leading up to the final bleed = menopause.  When hormones rise and fall so we have various health issues.  Anxiety levels can be affected by hormonal upheavals too so talking therapy will help.

As will checking your over all diet: mayB write down everything that you eat/drink for 3 days and see if there is something that U are able to alter.  In recent years I've tried to cut out processed food stuffs, adding more veg - DH is the Chef ;-) - although I'm not good at extra fruit  ::).  Eating little and often helps my anxiety too.

If your periods haven't been present for over 12 months the 'show' may well have been triggered by the HRT.  A scan will give you a base line from which to work.  In the meantime put the product names into the search box: read the appropriate threads and make notes.  Let us know how you get on.

Many of us may be low in VitD so taking capsules/tablets won't do any harm.  Which dose of Citalopram do you take?

Hi Ty for reply . 20mg . Been on them for over 20 years easily ! I defo need to revisit my diet for sure . I eat enough fruit , maybe not enough veg ! I am single so I grab and go which I guess isn’t good is it … x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 07:06:23 PM »

It was OK when we were younger to grab and go, now we need to nurture our bodies  ;D.   To top up our energy levels  8)

Let us know how you get on.

Lisa M

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 07:20:26 PM »

Ty so much . I will xx

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 07:08:06 AM »

It can take up to 6 months for your body to adjust to a continual regime. It could also be that you’re not ready for a continual regime.

Lisa M

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 09:18:01 AM »

It can take up to 6 months for your body to adjust to a continual regime. It could also be that you’re not ready for a continual regime.

Lightbulb moment yesterday !! I’ve been sensitive to synthetic prog in past , trouble with mirena etc. I cut patch in half yesterday and noticed instant relief !  Not fab but defo better . Less anxiety , head feels abit less foggy , slept better !  It’s the progesterone !!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 09:38:36 AM »

Well done!   Often women are very sensitive to the progesterone part of a regime. 

Lisa M

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 09:54:59 AM »

Well done!   Often women are very sensitive to the progesterone part of a regime.

Ty for reply . What’s the alternative? I don’t cope obv on prog but aware I need as still have a womb ! I can’t stand the side effects of progesterone. It’s awful 😞

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 10:16:09 AM »

Hopefully someone will be along with advice. 

Lisa M

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 11:59:21 AM »

Update . Scan showed fibroids x 2 ( small ) and Adenomyosis. I decided to quit hrt . Cut patch in half for a week . Instant relief , today first day without . I’m definitely prog intolerant . I’m keen now to go without and see how my body reacts to no HRT .

Northerngirl

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 12:08:28 PM »

Hi Lisa M
Just wanted to say I abruptly stopped all my HRT at the beginning of December (womb thickening,  biopsy etc).
I have decided to try and go on without it even though all investigations were clear.
I've been fine to be honest...the only issue is the VA beginning to start again.
We are all very different so do whatever suits you and see how it goes. Hope it goes well for you

Lisa M

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 10:23:29 AM »

Hi Lisa M
Just wanted to say I abruptly stopped all my HRT at the beginning of December (womb thickening,  biopsy etc).
I have decided to try and go on without it even though all investigations were clear.
I've been fine to be honest...the only issue is the VA beginning to start again.
We are all very different so do whatever suits you and see how it goes. Hope it goes well for you

Hi Ty for reply . Yes I’m going to try without . I’m 52 and post menopause so maybe I just don’t need it anymore . I definitely feel so much better !! I felt horrendous, almost suicidal ! Such a relief!
Pages: [1] 2