Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy reassurance  (Read 3652 times)

LosMos

Hysteroscopy reassurance
« on: March 09, 2024, 04:55:47 PM »

Just wanted to say, I had a hysteroscopy today and after sleepless nights all week, worrying about it, it was absolutely fine.

I know everyone is different but just thought I'd share my experience.

I'd read countless articles online about the procedure and I was terrified about how much it was going to hurt. I explained this to the nurse and Gyn Consultant that I saw today, and they were both lovely and put me under no pressure to go ahead if I didn't want to. I was offered either general anaesthetic (which would have meant coming back another day) or local. I decided to go ahead without either but under reassurance from the Gyn that he would stop at any point if it got to uncomfortable.

All I can say is that it was over and done so quickly and probably even less uncomfortable than my usual smear tests that I actually felt quite silly for even discussing the option of a GA for something so quick and relatively painless.

As I said, I know we are all different but to anyone like me, worrying yourself sick about it, it might just not be as bad as you imagined.

Ps. All clear, nothing sinister found

Nik2502

Re: Hysteroscopy reassurance
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 05:13:15 PM »

Lucky you! I’m pleased you had a good experience but mine was horrific. I literally thought I was dying. The nurse held me down. It was barbaric.
I have now got PTSD as a result.
I do think the staff make the difference and if they explain everything then it lets you make an educated decision. 
Pleased you got the all clear x

LosMos

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 05:19:15 PM »

So sorry you had a bad experience.

I have to say the Gyn was very good. He was male (I was unsure at first, as I thought I'd prefer a female) and also quite young (compared to me) but he absolutely put me at ease and said the last thing he wanted was for it to be a traumatic event.

Thanks. All clear result is good news but means I still don't have a diagnosis as to what's causing my symptoms.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 08:42:53 AM »

My mum had one and was in agony. I remember my sister having a colposcopy and finding it painful whereas I had one and didn't feel anything.  It's weird how our bodies react differently

Northerngirl

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 09:39:33 AM »

I've had 2 before. First one I found very painful. Second recent one I had GA and found it much better even though I hate having anaesthetic.
Like Jules said we're all different. I think it depends on a lot of factors ie. Children/childbirth etc and our insides are all slightly different.

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 04:01:35 PM »

Glad it all went well for you and yes we are all different. Nik2502,  I am really shocked that the nurse held you down.  That's outrageous.

Jules

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 09:43:28 PM »

Lucky you! I’m pleased you had a good experience but mine was horrific. I literally thought I was dying. The nurse held me down. It was barbaric.
I have now got PTSD as a result.
I do think the staff make the difference and if they explain everything then it lets you make an educated decision. 
Pleased you got the all clear x

How long ago was that? Surely they shouldn't be physically restraining patients

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 06:48:10 PM »

I was as nervous as hell waiting to go down for mine.
My blood pressure was quite high when the nurse took it. Higher than its ever been before.
But when I lay there waiting, I made myself relax, and I didn't feel a thing.
All I did afterwards was beat myself up for being so ridiculous. 

But I think it depends who does it. My gynae assured me she'd be very gentle,  and she was. 🤷‍♀️

LosMos

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 03:56:35 PM »

Jillydoll - I was exactly the same. BP was sky high. I'd hardly slept all week beforehand as I was so worried because all I'd read were horrific stories about how awful and painful it was.

I just wanted to let people know that it MAY not be as bad as you think and try not to dwell on all the negatives you read.
I wanted to just share a bit of positivity for a change

Blot

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 06:46:32 PM »

That is good to hear LosMos. Usually it’s just horror stories that frighten the life out of us but pleased to hear it went well for you.

merrygoround

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 06:14:22 AM »

I'm glad you had a good experience with hysteroscopy, I found it was ok except for the waiting times!
I found the months waiting were far more stressful than the actual procedure and the nurses were wonderful, not like the butchers who hold you down to put an endoscope into your the gullet, (they get called nurses too, but that felt distinctly like being raped).
It's a weight off your mind afterwards, it's just a shame more women can't be seen in weeks instead of months.
Do you think the tories lied about giving 350 billion to the NHS? Like you'd think they'd have sorted it with all that extra money by now. ;D

Jules

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 09:09:44 AM »

Sadly the nhs isn't going to improve anytime soon. It needs a complete overhaul. It's a system designed in the 1940s for a post war society. We now have expensive medicines, advanced procedures, equipment that needs expertise to operate, pioneering research and surgeries, an aging population, loads of FTA appointments, staff who dont do their jobs properly and top heavy management with lots of money waste.  I speak from experience.  If it was a private industry, it would be reviewed and restructured. They wouldn't chuck more money at an inappropriate and ineffective business.  I've spent a grand this year on private medical appointments because I was in such a predicament.  I'm still waiting for biopsy results almost 5 months on.  It's not good enough is it. We are getting ill purely by worrying about being ill and having no timely help.

Jules

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 12:06:58 AM »

I was as nervous as hell waiting to go down for mine.
My blood pressure was quite high when the nurse took it. Higher than its ever been before.
But when I lay there waiting, I made myself relax, and I didn't feel a thing.
All I did afterwards was beat myself up for being so ridiculous. 

But I think it depends who does it. My gynae assured me she'd be very gentle,  and she was. 🤷‍♀️

I'm having one so hope I manage as you did. I just want it over with.