Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Propranalol  (Read 22187 times)

kathryn22

Propranalol
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:30:29 AM »

Good morning all
Last week I was given Propranalol for acute anxiety which I’ve suffered since diagnosis and has now begun to spiral out of control 20-40mg per day But says take daily when required but not when, AM or PM ??
Mornings are always horrendous from waking till about 2pm then by bedtime feel almost human.
Suggestions, should I take at bedtime or when I wake?? Can’t get hold of anyone at the surgery waited 45 mins on hold and then got cut off☹️.. didn’t do much for my general anxiety levels 😉

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Propranalol
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 09:40:06 AM »

I have never understood a betablocka being prescribed for 'as necessary'.  My GP prescribed 3 times a day followed by twice, then it went to mornings.  It was to ease the early morning cortisol surges = intense panic.  When R symptoms worse for you?

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:42:53 AM »

I would either take right before sleep with a snack or, (preferably), as soon as I wake with a snack. Mainly because I never take anything on an empty stomach due to previously having had gastritis. It does work quickly so you could take as soon as you wake, lie in bed and do some breathing, and then in 30 mins you should be feeling the effects. I have not found it lasts all night tbh and the one time I did take in the evening, it impacted my sleep. However we are all different.

Suffice to say it doesn't really matter from a clinical point of view, so just find out what works best for you from a symptom point of view.

kathryn22

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 11:42:45 AM »

In the morning on waking is worse

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 11:56:30 AM »

That's how it was for me, so I would take the tablet at 9.00 -ish p.m. which really helped.  What is the dose prescribed 4 U?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 03:12:58 PM by CLKD »

kathryn22

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 01:09:09 PM »

20-40mg nurse said take what I felt I needed so started at 20

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 03:13:54 PM »

MayB try 20 at night and if necessary, 20 in the morning.  I was on 40mg 3 times a day initially then dropped down to 40mg twice followed by 20 twice a day.

U may not require a morning dose if symptoms are eased overnight.  Let us know!

kathryn22

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 05:18:14 PM »

Will do 👍

sooper_cooper

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 06:10:41 PM »

Hi, are your hormones being treated? I was misdiagnosed with anxiety and depression and treated with propanol but it didn’t really help me as it was HRT I needed.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 06:40:56 PM »

It does depend on how a patient presents at the Surgery and what is discussed.  Some GPs still offer antidepressants because that's what patients talk about, sometimes hormonal upheaval can aggravate or cause anxiety levels to rise as well as depression.  Some still offer antidepressants rather than discussing whether HRT is appropriate.

Acute anxiety must be treated even if caused by peri-menopause.  It's about being listened to and keeping a diary can be useful for ongoing treatments.

kathryn22

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 06:47:20 PM »

Hi sooper Cooper r No this all comes from having vaginal atrophy Nothing working to alleviate the symptoms and became very depressed and eventually diagnosed with acute panic disorder Then gp suspected that the oestrogen cream was causing a reaction physical and mentally so decided to give me Propranalol to try to control the anxiety Sadly the GP not at all interested in checking my hormones I’m post menopause and have had hysterectomy and although my ovaries were left in situ they have now withered away to dust

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 07:02:23 PM »

Remind me: how R U dealing with the atrophy kathryn22?

kathryn22

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 07:21:21 PM »

CLKD Hi
Have had estriol and then vagirux since end of summer always been very painful to use, saw private gynaecologist as I also have rectocele prolapse found with atrophy He said to use creams etc as I had “a bit of atrophy “ as I said became so distressing that had what I will only assume has been a good old fashioned breakdown because of it GP finally admitted J might have a reaction to the meds so stopped everything last week gave me mid strength steroid cream to try to get rid of inflammation and has referred me to dermatologist hoping to use my Benenden to see someone but hope they get the problem See an nhs gynaecologist in sept

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 07:31:44 PM »

txn.  I find it difficult at my age to follow and keep up  ::)

kathryn22

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 07:34:27 PM »

🤣 your not on your own with that
Pages: [1] 2