Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Steroid’s and atrophy  (Read 2312 times)

kathryn22

Steroid’s and atrophy
« on: February 29, 2024, 11:38:47 AM »

Have had real issues using topical HRT for atrophy GP has stopped them till Insee a dermatologist Has prescribed a mid strength steroid to try to calm the inflammation as it’s absolute agony Has anyone else used steroid cream for this and did it work
So sore now but know steroids can be a bit stingy and god knows how long I will have to wait to see a dermatologist

SarahT

Re: Steroid’s and atrophy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 01:29:24 PM »

Hi Kathryn,

Yes I was prescribed a steroid  ( off the top of my head think it's Dermovate?) I currently use Ovestin internally every night, externally I use YESVM through the day, coconut oil at night and the steroid initially was daily, but now twice per week, all agreed and recommended by my gp.

I know that sounds like I am using too much,but nothing else worked.

For me, along with bad dryness externally,but I would also get a lot of soreness and itchy. GP examined me but didn't refer me.

I have been on the steroid for about 6 weeks now and it's has really helped. Yes,it did sting at first but calmed things down . I did query the gel said not external use only, and obviously vulva is kind of a bit of both, but she assures me that was ok.

I hope it begins to work for you and the referral comes quick.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 01:38:44 PM »

It's Trial and Error, how long B4 you get an appt.? 

star35

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 01:42:32 PM »

Hi  Kathryn I've been using steroid ointment and had no problems with it, definitely calmed everything down. I have been diagnosed with lichen sclerosis

kathryn22

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 06:45:30 PM »

Hi CLKD
NHS will be about 9months +
Tried Benenden but they don’t have a gynae dermatologist and I’m limited to where I can go with them as I’m within the area for the main hospital So will be seen by a standard Dermatologist if I go there. Between a rock and a hard place Did a trial dab of steroid a few hours ago don’t seem to have had a reaction so far so will apply properly before bed and hope for the best Even a little relief will be such progress

kathryn22

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 10:02:46 AM »

Thanks Star35
How long before you saw any results

star35

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 12:16:38 PM »

Hi Kathryn
It actually started to soothe it as soon as I first applied it. After a week there was a massive improvement.

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 12:30:49 PM »

Dermovate works for me but still use Ovestin as well but not at the same time. If it's Lichens sclerosus you should use both anyway. It also works well for atrophy flareups but will sting if you're sore, everything does. Just persevere.
Which topical HRT were you using?

kathryn22

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 02:01:15 PM »

Hi Deirdre
At the moment only using moisturiser (YES) couple of times a week everything so sore & red and feels so swollen So GP said stop with the estriol and vagirux pessaries use the steroid cream and see how it goes It’s so annoying because I’ve been saying for ages that it wasn’t agreeing with me and was told “no that’s not possible “ I totally get it that the majority of people are ok, but now it’s a double problem to sort out. Just wish we were listened to

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 09:39:19 PM »

I cant use vagirux, it burns me and causes sorenes. I know it's supposed to be the same ingredients as vagifem but something in it does not suit me at all.  I just use vagifem now and ovestin. Can you just try ovestin on it's own?  There are a few people on this forum that don't tolerate vagirux so it doesn't agree with everyone.

sfreesto

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 06:04:46 AM »

Hello kathryn22,

I used Dermovate to heal some horrible fissures I had externally that were very sore. I now use the weaker Eumovate just to keep things steady. I do believe though that I would not have healed if I hadn’t started to get the VA under control, so I definitely would keep going with the treatment for that. I found I couldn’t do Ovestin daily or it would burn. For me Intrarosa has fixed my VA symptoms. I think because it’s a waxy pessarie that melts it soothes too - and treats externally as it runs out a bit. I have not tried Vagirux or Vagifem, I had Imvaggis before Intrarosa. X