Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Beta Blockers  (Read 2206 times)

JoannFran

Beta Blockers
« on: February 24, 2024, 05:57:28 PM »

Hi all.

Is anyone here on beta blockers?  I've been on Propranolol slow release for nearly 2 years for SVT/racing heart/anxiety.  They worked really well for that except recently I've been getting lots and lots of ectopic heart beats (I've always had these but sporadically throughout the day, one or two and then nothing for a few hours).   I've had every test on my heart and been told 'benign PACs).  However, recently they've been much more frequent.  Can have them every third/fourth beat for hours at a time.  It's really horrible :-(.   I'm a on a slow dose of propranolol and been told I can take an extra 10mg if required.  But it's not helping and I'm starting to wonder if it's the propranolol causing this.  Has anyone taken propranolol and had the same experience or anything similar?
Thank you xxxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Beta Blockers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 09:11:50 PM »

I was prescribed Propranolol in the early 2000s to ease cortisol anxiety spikes in the early hours.  Initially it was 80mg 3 times a day for 4 weeks then dropped to 40mg twice a day.  I then dropped it to 20mg twice a day and at night.  As Covid hit I was getting background headaches first thing so stopped.

I've never been aware of my heart ....... fortunately.  How often and what dose are you swallowing?

It may be wise to wean off ......... it mayB that it is no longer working well for your symptoms. 

JoannFran

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 10:31:18 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks for your reply.  I was on 80mg slow release 1 per day, which has worked fairly well for 2 years.  I contacted my dr this week about the change in ectopics and she said to try taking 40mg 3 times per day.  I haven't actually taken that dose yet and I'm taking 20mg 4 times per day as I'm worried it's the propranolol causing it.   I've managed to get an appointment with the cardiologist I've seen in the past for Tuesday next week (luckily Hubby has private medical insurance through work).  Don't know whether to up the dose to 40mg or lower to 10mg.  Or just stay as I am until I see the cardiologist.  I'm catching the rhythms on my apple watch so I have them to show her!

Hope you are well x

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 11:12:01 PM »

JoannFran, I'm on Bisoprolol.  I went to a cardiologist about my heart skips and he said beta blockers don't always help, in fact sometimes they add to the problem because they slow the heart down, and then it's more likely to skip.  That's why a lot of people get the ectopic beats when resting (though not always), because the heart is slower.  And it's why exercise can stop the extra beats, as it speeds the heart up and then there's less time during the electrical activity to create an extra beat.

So yes it's possible the propranolol can assist the extra beats rather than you.  But they always try beta blockers.

My skips seem to be way less with hrt (evorel sequi), but there are different reasons for everyone.  Another thing I learned was that if I was having a bad day (I've had the days where it's every 3rd beat, etc), plenty of fluid and salt and even some magnesium can help.  Dr Sanjay Gupta has many you tube videos about these things but I only watch about the ectopic beats as he does talk about some serious heart things as well. 

I hope you'll find a route through this that works for you, in the meantime don't be afraid to rest.  I actually took a day off work on one occasion because I got so distraught and I 'gave up' and went to bed.  You know what, they calmed down. 

One other thing, I cannot skip meals or they will start, so the stomach plays a big role as it is connected to the same nerve (vagal nerve).

Hope you feel better soon.

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 11:20:37 PM »

Don't know whether to up the dose to 40mg or lower to 10mg.  Or just stay as I am until I see the cardiologist.  I'm catching the rhythms on my apple watch so I have them to show her!

I don't know what your doctor has told you but I would not lower the dose personally.  Beta blockers lower the workload for the heart so a sudden decrease in them would suddenly increase the heart's workload.  But I know some doctor's are ok with you doing that if your heart is healthy, but I don't like the idea and would do it gradually.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 07:51:08 AM »

JoannFran: I would stick with what you are taking unless the sensations are really unpleasant.

Let us know how you get on.

Camb1990

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 12:30:27 PM »

Hi
I've been on Propranalol for 18 months now - 40mg in the morning to help my racing heart/palpitations (I have severe anxiety and depression - currently on week 5 of trying my 9th antidepressant as I can't seem to tolerate SSRIs/SNRIs yet can't get well.)
My sister mentioned on Monday that beta blockers can cause fatigue and insomnia. Well, I've had both of those for over a year which the doctors always said was due to my depression. Has anyone found that their beta blocker interfered with their sleep? I get 3-4 hours a night and have done for months, even with sleeping tablets.
Wondering whether to stop the propranalol in the hope that sleep improves ... any thoughts?
Thanks
Karen

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 12:54:48 PM »

Where did your sister get the information from Camb1990?  Is there anything in the leaflet, which I never read unless I get side effects  ::)

Which ADs have U tried and which side effects caused U to stop them?  It was intense nausea for me.  Eventually my GP found several that have suited me over the years.

MayB start your own thread so that any responses don't become lost. 

kathryn22

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 06:56:33 PM »

I’ve just been prescibed propranalol for crippling anxiety
CLKD .. somebody else suggested I was having cortisol spikes when I woke which is why I am always so bad in the mornings Was this the same for you and did it help at all Would love to know why this is happening to me
Although the whole atrophy thing has totally destroyed me

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 10:07:33 PM »

Atrophy and cortisol surges are different issues 4 me.

In the 1990s when suffering depression as well as anxiety, I would wake in the early hours: terrified : Propranolol helped a lot.  Which dose R U taking and when? 

More recently 'ovestin' used regularly has eased VA symptoms a lot.

kathryn22

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 09:08:04 AM »

20 up to 40 if I feel I need more
It was the practice nurse who prescribed and she said take it when I think best My worst time is mornings from opening my eyes till about 2pm
All the HRT creams have caused massive irritation and I’ve had to stop and using steroid cream to try to reduce inflammation Also been suggested that the oestrogen be it only a small amount might be stoking the anxiety as well Be honest am now so desperate to get some sort of life back

Camb1990

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 03:49:56 PM »

So sorry, I’ve only just seen your question  CLKD. She didn’t say - she just said they could be messing with my sleep. When I googled I found that propranalol reduces the production of melatonin, which is why some people get insomnia. And because it slows the heart it then causes fatigue.

I’ve tried sertraline, fluoxetine, Mirtazapine (twice), escitalopram, Trazodone, quetiapine, pregabalin, duloxetine and now on venlafaxine. I’m embarrassed just writing that. Heightened anxiety is my worst side effect but have also had severe depression and v dark thoughts on a couple. And insomnia even from the ones that are supposed to be sedating.

I will start another thread but my case is so complex I’m not sure anyone or anything can help me now.