Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New to HRT patches- help!  (Read 2226 times)

Aqua07

• First Flush
New to HRT patches- help!
« on: February 17, 2024, 12:14:58 PM »

Hi new member here- I'm 41 and completely new to all things perimenopause and HRT. I have recently been prescribed the Evorel Conti patches- I am on my 3rd week (6th patch). I have a few questions about them but I am struggling to find the answers - hoping I can find some on here!

First question is about how smooth and "tight" the patch needs to remain on the skin? Whilst my patch has not fallen off completely I am finding it gets very wrinkled after every shower, night sweat episode or just when I generally move my body- I hear the matetial crinkle when I'm walking or turning over in bed. The edges also lift away in the shower (I don't touch them just the water) so the water gets right underneath the patch and makes it stay soggy for hours afterwards. Will this mean I will not get the proper absorption? I am very concerned about this and the first 2 weeks I was changing the patch daily post shower as I just didn't feel it could possibly benefit me peeling away from my skin. Obviously I can't continue doing this as I will run out but would like to know if it will still work in a heavily wrinkled condition?

Secondly, can it be covered by anything else such as Tegaderm to protect it in the shower? I have heard so many contradicting views over this and cannot find the answer on the NHS website. This is making me assume that people generally have not come across the same issues when wetting the patch and that it is me doing something wrong?

Thirdly- headaches and sore boobs- is this a common side effect from starting the patches? I am only on a very low dose which will be reviewed after 3 months.

Thank you in advance!

sheila99

Re: New to HRT patches- help!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 02:36:22 PM »

Once they've become unstuck they never stick down properly again so tour dose will be reduced. If you're going to tape it it's best to do itvas soon as you put the patch on. I don't  know the official answer but people do, i can't think of a reason not to. Heat can help too, you can press it down with the heel of your hand to make sure it's stuck down well. Sore boobs will usually settle as it's from the increase in oestrogen. Headaches may not, it might be that you need a different sort.

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 05:18:54 PM »

I am on my second attempt with patches - Evorel conti  - as I don't seem to get on with utrogestan on a continuous basis. I exercise most days and get quite sweaty and first attempt they started peeling off and got soggy as you describe. This time around I am armed with Tegaderm dressings which I put over the patches. These have started to curl a little at the edges but the patch appears to have stayed in tact so far. I'm only on my 3rd patch so the jury is still out on whether these will be as effective as the gel.

Aqua07

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 07:55:10 AM »

Once they've become unstuck they never stick down properly again so tour dose will be reduced. If you're going to tape it it's best to do itvas soon as you put the patch on. I don't  know the official answer but people do, i can't think of a reason not to. Heat can help too, you can press it down with the heel of your hand to make sure it's stuck down well. Sore boobs will usually settle as it's from the increase in oestrogen. Headaches may not, it might be that you need a different sort.

Hi Sheila99 thank you for your reply. I have only just found the time to respond back to you. I went to see a pharmacist for advice and she said the patches should NOT be covered unless for a very short period of time like in the shower. Even then it is better to use a loose band like cover rather than a plaster over the top as this will just pull the patch off anyway when removed.I have since tried this out with a Tegaderm and like she said it pulled off the whole thing. I contacted the manufacturer for advice and they said the same thing and could not add any advice outside the leaflet insert- not very helpful!

I use the heat of my hand every time I apply a patch and while this sticks it fully when dry it doesn't stop it curling away from my skin when it gets wet with water or sweat. I have therefore decided the patches are not right for me and asked Dr for tablet version instead- at least I know I'm getting the full dose and it will be less of a faff! Unfortunately though I have to wait until April for a review so I have to put up with these rubbish patches for another month- I've told them I'm going through double the quantity due to their lack of waterproofness but they seem happy to keep prescribing me more ! ( total waste of NHS money)

Aqua07

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 08:14:24 AM »

I am on my second attempt with patches - Evorel conti  - as I don't seem to get on with utrogestan on a continuous basis. I exercise most days and get quite sweaty and first attempt they started peeling off and got soggy as you describe. This time around I am armed with Tegaderm dressings which I put over the patches. These have started to curl a little at the edges but the patch appears to have stayed in tact so far. I'm only on my 3rd patch so the jury is still out on whether these will be as effective as the gel.

Hi DottyD68 thank you for your reply. May I ask you how you are getting on with the patches now? I am still having a nightmare with them they are absolutely useless! I saw a pharmacist who clarified that the patches should NOT be covered unless for a very short period of time like during a shower. So I tried Tegaderm over the top for showering and this just pulled the whole HRT patch off underneath afterwards anyway so I may as well not have bothered! The pharmacist said the evorel should be properly waterproof and should not stay soggy after wetting. She recommended I get in touch with the manufacturer which I did and they are going to contact me for more information as it could be a faulty batch. They also said they couldn't advise on covering them as they are not intended for covering.

I hope you are having more success than me. I don't fancy switching to a gel I would find this an even greater faff than applying patches. Im not keen on applying things to my skin. I have asked to go on tablets as I know exactly where I am with them and know I will be getting the full dose each time- with the patches half hanging off all the time I do wonder if I am getting any of the hormones I should as I still feel no better a month in. Got to wait another month before the Dr will see me again though which is a pain

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 09:44:36 AM »

Hi Aqua. It's such a shame that the patches are not sticking. I've been on Evorel for seventeen years now and, for me, they stick really well as opposed to FemSeven which were absolutely useless for me!  It's a struggle to get Evorel off to be honest. Where do you place them? The reason why you are not supposed to stick anything on them to hold them in place is because the hormones are contained in the adhesive so are only activated when the patch is stuck to the skin. This is what I was told by my menopause clinic anyway ages ago. Maybe that has changed now. If you are putting them on exactly as recommended - unpeeling half at a time and holding in place for however long it says on the leaflet (can't remember now) and you are putting it on unmoisturised skin then I suppose it must be a difference in your skin make up. Mine have always survived showering, jacuzzi, swimming, hot baths etc.

I hope that you find something that does suit you as, at your young age, you definitely need HRT if you are already getting meno symptoms. I agree that if the patches are not sticking then you will not be getting enough hormone. Are you post menopause as you are on a conti HRT? Do you have a pill in mind?

Taz x

DottyD68

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 11:30:09 AM »

Hi Aqua07,

I tried the tegaderm dressings and they kept the patches totally in place and attached to the skin. However the dressings themselves started to curl at the edges almost immediately and the skin became irritated and in fact broke the skin on one patch (which has only just heeled). I had put the patches on my outer hip where the skin was quite flat but kept catching every time I went to the loo/got dressed unless I was really careful.

I watched a Youtube video of a GP showing how to apply the patch and she put it on the top of her thigh in the front. I have tried this and have had better success. The flesh is flat there and does not wrinkle when I move and it does not catch on clothing/hands as much when dressing etc. I've just finished my 3rd patch here which has been on for 4 days. I have not submerged any in water yet but I have done sweaty exercise and showered and all ok so far. It has a bit of fluff around the edges but the best success in this location so far.

I have started feeling better in myself which is good. The only issue I have had is a bleed that started last Sunday and is just coming to an end. I am hoping this is just my body adjusting to the new regime but am keeping a diary and hoping it settles.

Have you tried different locations? If not already, try the front of the upper thigh. Let us know how you get on.

Aqua07

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 10:00:00 AM »

Hi Aqua. It's such a shame that the patches are not sticking. I've been on Evorel for seventeen years now and, for me, they stick really well as opposed to FemSeven which were absolutely useless for me!  It's a struggle to get Evorel off to be honest. Where do you place them? The reason why you are not supposed to stick anything on them to hold them in place is because the hormones are contained in the adhesive so are only activated when the patch is stuck to the skin. This is what I was told by my menopause clinic anyway ages ago. Maybe that has changed now. If you are putting them on exactly as recommended - unpeeling half at a time and holding in place for however long it says on the leaflet (can't remember now) and you are putting it on unmoisturised skin then I suppose it must be a difference in your skin make up. Mine have always survived showering, jacuzzi, swimming, hot baths etc.

I hope that you find something that does suit you as, at your young age, you definitely need HRT if you are already getting meno symptoms. I agree that if the patches are not sticking then you will not be getting enough hormone. Are you post menopause as you are on a conti HRT? Do you have a pill in mind?

Taz x

Hi Taz

I have been placing patch around my hip or upper quadrant of buttock. Unfortunately they are the only hairless pieces of skin I have below the waist as I'm cursed with a lot of body hair 😫.  Think this really limits my options. Even my stomach has hair and my upper thighs have thicker hair than my lower legs!
It is good that they are working for you, I,m so frustrated that I'm having this problem. I know I'm not the only one though as have work colleagues who had to ditch the patches for the same reason. Though most like you seem to get on just fine- it's so strange the difference in experiences.  I don't use any moisturisers on my body at all I never have had the time for that. I know they are very firmly sticky but the water just destroys them.
I have been put on the Conti to give me progesterone to protect my womb as I still have regular periods. I am younger than I thought I would be starting with these symptoms and my blood test confirmed low hormone levels. My mum didn't have a single symptom and didn't even realise she had been menopausal until her periods just stopped in her 50s- so no idea if younger peri onset runs in the family

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 10:34:18 AM »

If you're  peri you should be on sequi hrt where you have a scheduled bleed. Conti is for those who are meno (1 year without a bleed). If you can't find a way to keep them stuck down I would ask for a different brand. I had problems with evorel but estradot are fine for me.

Aqua07

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 10:36:34 AM »

If you're  peri you should be on sequi hrt where you have a scheduled bleed. Conti is for those who are meno (1 year without a bleed). If you can't find a way to keep them stuck down I would ask for a different brand. I had problems with evorel but estradot are fine for me.
Taz 2

The patches im on are called Evorel Sequi- I have 4 evorel50 patches and 4 evorel Conti patches in a pack.

Forgot to add I don't have a pill in mind because I haven't received any information about types of hrt just what the doctor prescribed me. I have asked for a review consultation but the soonest they can see me is April- meaning another month of struggling on with patches falling off and my awful symptoms. I asked to be seen sooner to discuss other options but they fobbed me off with another evorel prescription to 'keep me going' until April- but they are not helping me

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 02:08:24 PM »

Sorry, my mistake. When you mentioned conti I thought you were on a conti regime. If you go to Menu you can select  Treatments to see what is available. If they can't see you till April personally I'd tape them down. I don't know how they think the tape will affect the patch but it can't be worse than the part dose you get from an unstuck patch  at present.

Hezzi

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 10:33:48 PM »

Hello Aqua07

I've been on patches for almost a year now and found them to be the easiest solution. At first there were a few that fell off but on trying different locations,  I've settled into sticking them on the outside of my thigh/hip just before going to bed, with the knowledge that I wilI lie on my side to make sure it sticks! So far it's worked for me, though have recently changed to Evoril 75 which though larger in size, it seems a thinner patch, which does gets quite wrinkly now I think about it.

Occasionally an edge will lift up and I just tape it down with some micropore. If the whole thing looks like the stick has gone, I'll just change for a new one.

Perhaps you have an unsticky batch?