Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cancer scare  (Read 11053 times)

shrosphirelass

Cancer scare
« on: February 11, 2024, 10:58:23 AM »

Hi all,
I haven't been on here for a while, but just wanted to ask if anyone has any experinces they can share. I am 61 and have been on evorel conti for 4 years. I have had regular episodes of bleeding throughout and have had several transvaginal scans that have always come back within normnal (or borderline) limits. My last one was in June 23.

In Decemeber I started bleeding again, mainly spotting. After a month of this I started to flood for about a week, accompanied by stomach cramps. That stopped and I have been bleed free since. I spoke to the drs and they said I had to go on the 2 week pathway. Last week I had a transvaginal scan and 2 hours later was rung by the consulatant to say there were concerns with my scan. He said I had a thickened edometrium, (didn't say how thick) which he said could be due to HRT but additionally I had fluid which was suggestive of cancer. He mentioned hysterectomy. I agreed to have a hysteroscopy and biopsy and to have a mirena fitted at the same time (under general anaesthetic due to anxiety).

I received a letter yesterday outlining all this but with no date for the proceedure.

I can not sleep as it all keeps going around in my head. I try to rationalise with the knowledge I had a normal scan 7 months ago, but part of me goes to the worst case scenario.

Anyone had similar experiences? Sorry for the long message.

Northerngirl

Re: Cancer scare
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 12:21:19 PM »

Hi , yes I'm going through something very similar right now and I know that many other ladies on here have been through the same situation, I only joined MM in November and I'm amazed by how common this is. I found out in December I had an 8mm thickened lining after a TVs, then had a heavy bleed and pain so severe I ended up in a & e. Only 10 days ago I had my hysteroscopy/biopsy under a GA and am currently waiting for those results. I've had symptoms since October and have been seriously anxious as many of the ladies on here can vouch to as they've tried to keep me sane. I'm still very anxious and convinced that my symptoms are cancer and after 4 months of tests and scans etc I'm still waiting.  I too was on HRT. This is my first experience however of anything like this so there may be others have exact similar experiences who can help.If you want to DM me please feel free if you'd like to vent further,  believe me I know it's not easy when anxiety takes over. I haven't slept or eaten properly in months.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 12:49:14 PM »

Thanks for your reply Northerngirl. Good luck with your results which will come quickly I hope.

Can I please ask about your experience with the genral anaesthetic? I am very worried about it, though its my choice to do it this way.

Northerngirl

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 01:59:49 PM »

Hi, I  chose GA because I'd had a failed biopsy in December and I  had a hysteroscopy before and found it extremely painful (I know some ladies don't find it painful) apparently if you've had caesarean sections it can hurt...I've had 3 so maybe that is why it hurt. I didn't really want  to do it this way but felt I had to as I couldn't risk another failed biopsy with a local anaesthetic.
I've had 2 GA's before this one and I'm terrified each time (don't even know why). HONESTLY if I can do it you can, the ladies on here got me through it and it wasn't too bad. It was less than a hour from leaving the ward to being awake in recovery.  I found it a lot easier to be up and about than  after other GA's...obviously somehow  a lesser anaesthetic I'm guessing because there is no way I could have got up and walked about as quickly as I did with the others as I did this time. I was first procedure of that afternoon  so I didn't have time to really  think about  it,  when I got there it all happened so quickly....I think they did it on purpose as they knew how anxious I was and how long I'd waited for the procedure. So all in all I don't regret it. I'd probably have preferred to be in and out a lot quicker with a local but at least I don't remember how painful it was this time.
Any other questions please  feel free to ask. Let us know when you get a date through.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 02:55:18 PM »

:bighug: 2 U both.

Jetdav

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 11:25:06 PM »

Hi, I have just had very similar to you. Had my hysteroscopy and biopsy last week and now awaiting results. I’m nervous, as my lining was very thick but trying to stay positive as I have no other symptoms. I would say about the GA , go for it. 5 of us ladies were in at the same time. All just with gas and air and local anaesthetic. The other 4 were absolutely fine. Luck of the draw, I wasn’t! I fainted and was sick. If I ever had it again I would definitely go for GA. Not because it hurt, it wasn’t pleasant though. Just because now I’d be worrying about it happening again.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 11:28:21 AM »

Good luck Jetdav. Thanks for your reply. I do feel guilty about using unecessary resources but at leats it means they'll fit the mirena at the same time.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 11:29:03 AM »

Hi, I  chose GA because I'd had a failed biopsy in December and I  had a hysteroscopy before and found it extremely painful (I know some ladies don't find it painful) apparently if you've had caesarean sections it can hurt...I've had 3 so maybe that is why it hurt. I didn't really want  to do it this way but felt I had to as I couldn't risk another failed biopsy with a local anaesthetic.
I've had 2 GA's before this one and I'm terrified each time (don't even know why). HONESTLY if I can do it you can, the ladies on here got me through it and it wasn't too bad. It was less than a hour from leaving the ward to being awake in recovery.  I found it a lot easier to be up and about than  after other GA's...obviously somehow  a lesser anaesthetic I'm guessing because there is no way I could have got up and walked about as quickly as I did with the others as I did this time. I was first procedure of that afternoon  so I didn't have time to really  think about  it,  when I got there it all happened so quickly....I think they did it on purpose as they knew how anxious I was and how long I'd waited for the procedure. So all in all I don't regret it. I'd probably have preferred to be in and out a lot quicker with a local but at least I don't remember how painful it was this time.
Any other questions please  feel free to ask. Let us know when you get a date through.

THanks, that's reassuring

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 12:21:28 PM »

"un-necessary resources" means what exactly shropshirelass?  :-\

We R entitled to being as comfy as possible during intervention and investigations, if we don't ask we won't get!  Medics no long seem to provide options.

Violetta808

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 01:32:49 PM »

Hi shropshirelass

I’m another of the many being investigated for PMB while on HRT, with a hysteroscopy under GA due next week – you are definitely not alone. The ultrasound showed a thickened endometrium and polyps. At my appointment the gynaecologist quoted a statistic to me that I think was supposed to be reassuring, but it really wasn’t. I don’t know why some of the hospital doctors feel the need to mention the absolute worst case scenario as if it’s likely to happen, when they don’t have the patient’s full background and history and know about their actual risk factors. It just causes unnecessary worry.

I have been through this process before when I had a hysteroscopy for fibroid removal and biopsy done under GA some years ago - I was still having periods then. At that time, the consultant doing the procedure strongly recommended I had a GA as he said it would be too painful to tolerate while awake. I’m sticking to that advice this time too.

I was nervous as I’d never had a GA. But it was very easy. You are only asleep for about 15 mins - it's nothing like when they do bigger surgery. They know everyone will inevitably get anxious to some degree and will put you at ease, and the anaesthetist monitors you the whole time. I remember trying to count to ten, then the next thing I knew I was waking up and it was all done. I had no pain - just some abdominal tenderness for the rest of the day. Though I did have to tell my partner to take it easy driving over the speed bumps on the way home! I’m sure I’ll be a bit nervous for this procedure too, but that is only to be expected.

100% agree with CLKD - there is nothing unnecessary about this! The real waste of resources would be a failed waking hysteroscopy and having to reschedule it under GA anyway.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 02:56:00 PM »

Many medics haven't undergone such experiences  ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 08:52:48 PM by CLKD »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 08:23:15 PM »

That is how I was made to feel last time I was suppossed to have a hyseroscopy, THe gynae actually made me cry and said If I didn't do it there and then I shouldn't expect for her to be available to treat me subsequntly. Was made to feel like a failure and a nuisance, hence why I'm so defensive.

Thank you for making me remember that we should all expect to be treated well!

I now just have the painful wait for the appointment now. The consultant rang me last Tuesday and he seemed to suggest it was urgent so I expected I would almost straight away have heard by now, but just consent form sent with no date. The worst thing is I can't sleep. I walke up between 3am and 4am and can't go back to sleep and am getting increasingly exhausted.

Good luck Violetta808.

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 08:50:19 PM »

That is how I was made to feel last time I was suppossed to have a hyseroscopy, THe gynae actually made me cry and said If I didn't do it there and then I shouldn't expect for her to be available to treat me subsequntly. Was made to feel like a failure and a nuisance, hence why I'm so defensive.

Thank you for making me remember that we should all expect to be treated well!

I now just have the painful wait for the appointment now. The consultant rang me last Tuesday and he seemed to suggest it was urgent so I expected I would almost straight away have heard by now, but just consent form sent with no date. The worst thing is I can't sleep. I walke up between 3am and 4am and can't go back to sleep and am getting increasingly exhausted.

Good luck Violetta808.

Hi
I've got no advice re your hysteroscopy. But I do recall another member on here saying that her scan also showed fluid and like you she was very worried - turns out it was blood that was subsequently shed as a period, and all turned out to be fine. She'd not been absorbing the progesterone, that was all it was. It could well be similar for you, I hope so.
Penguin x

bluemczoo

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 09:53:26 PM »

Just coming on here to say that I too was told I had a thickened lining and visible fluid. They said this was blood and sure enough I started to bleed the next day. They also said this was most likely to be hormonal- when I had my hysteroscopy and biopsy.
Words and the way things are phrased have such impact! Big hugs to you.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 12:23:39 PM »

Thanks Bluemczoo. When I insert vagifem the applicator is coming out with pink at the end so hopefully it is the same for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5