Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Diverticulitis and colonoscopy  (Read 1815 times)

monalisa

Diverticulitis and colonoscopy
« on: January 26, 2024, 08:39:35 PM »

Great start to new year for me
Was admitting to hospital on the 6th January with acute diverticulitis ( never heard of it before)was put on IV antibiotics and fluids was very poorly had a weeks stay in hospital I was told by the consultant I had a bad case of inflammation and he called it uncomplicated diverticulitis.
And I will have this for the rest of my life .

Send home to finish my antibiotics with no real information and no advice on what to eat , just told to go on a low fibre diet .

Was given a date in six weeks to come back to hospital for a colonoscopy.

Any advice on this condition please 🙏

jaypo

Re: Diverticulitis and colonoscopy
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 09:18:11 AM »

I'm bothered with diverticulitis too,actually had two flare ups this year,i also have slow transit which doesn't help but one thing YOU MUST keep away from are things that can get stuck in the diverticulae,my flare up came after eating desiccated coconut and the next flare up was after eating sesame seeds so keep away from indigestible stuff like that,especially seeds,so no seeded bread and watch for wholemeal bread too just in case seeds are in that. Don't worry too much,it's a pain (literally) when you get a flare up but ABs usually do the trick but you can be tender there for weeks after, can feel it sore when I need the loo after not going for a couple of days but I know it's not a flare up, can tell the difference nowadays.

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 10:24:54 AM »

I was the same as you, i went for colonoscopy, told it was diverticulitis but was told to do a high fibre diet, no other advice given!!! I do limit my fibre as it makes it worse, i also avoid seeds but have discovered buscopan my new best friend for the stomach cramps!

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 11:13:11 AM »

Yeah it's strange they tell you high fibre as "going " too much can aggravate it 🤷‍♀️

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 12:52:26 PM »

Hello ladies.

I don't have diverticulitis but I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis which is another inflammatory bowel condition in 2010.

I wasn't given any dietary advice so I did my own research and found that plant foods have an anti inflammatory effect while animal foods cause inflammation. I ended up eating a whole foods plant based diet that includes nuts and seeds plus salads and raw fruit. I haven't had any problems since and all my blood work is normal. 

I realise that my condition is different and I agree that you have to experiment but I think fibre is important and it is wise to eat as much as you can.

Take care ladies.

K.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 01:59:16 PM »

Hi Kathleen 👋
As you know my daughter has colitis and her diet is very different from mine,although both been veggie for over 30 years but people with diverticulitis can't eat seeds due to them getting stuck in the colon and if they do,then that's when infection sets in, agree re fibre though but with me I can eat fibre til it's coming out my ears lol and it doesn't shift anything,then if I go too often,again the diverticulitis flares up,I guess it doesn't like too much activity  ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 02:50:59 PM »

Hello jaypo

I remember you saying that your daughter has colitis so I realise that you are very knowledgeable about gut issues and diet.

I have found through bitter experience the foods that work for me ( my week of eating large quantities of home made sauerkraut is particularly memorable lol). I also remember reading that UC  sufferers should avoid nuts and seeds, salads and raw fruit, especially the skins. So basically if you have to eat an apple peel it first.
 I came across this advice a few years after diagnosis but ignored it as I had been eating all the foods mentioned daily and without problems. Had I seen this food list at the begining of my illness I would have believed every word of it and I wouldn't have learned that for me, all the foods identified were absolutely fine!

Perhaps digestive problems are similar to the menopause in that we are all different and we need to experiment a bit to find what works for us as individuals.

Wishing you and your daughter well and take care.

K.