Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Recurrent urinary tract infections.  (Read 2242 times)

Jules

Re: Recurrent urinary tract infections.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 09:03:20 AM »

I honestly don't know what my bugs were. I'm prescribed Nitrofurantoin. I've not had any for a while but have an emergency pack since the hospital event. I'm also prescribed  trimethoprim as a profalactic after sex. I'm not in a steady relationship though so don't use them frequently. We have breaks. The doctor wouldn't prescribe for regular use. I had started getting the odd episodes of the symptoms of UTI withoyt the infection though before I increased the topical estrogen. It's unpleasant.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 09:57:42 AM »

Thanks Jules. My usual anti b is trimethoprim , my doctor will give me a prescription , as long as I get the sample in before I start it a few times I’ve had different bugs and needed different antibiotics. I don’t understand why there are different bugs, but I’m hoping that the urologist explain that to me. Still think this is all coming from the VA because I’ve had some really unpleasant symptoms from that in the past . Will have to go back on the vagifem. Thanks for your answer .,

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 10:02:12 AM »

Ah Down Under - how's the weather ?

Ellibee - good point!

Trimethoprim I think is a broad spectrum AB?

Strugglinglady

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 10:29:54 AM »

Ah Down Under - how's the weather ?

Ellibee - good point!

Trimethoprim I think is a broad spectrum AB?
Hi CLKD , it has been so hot today 40° here. We have lovely weather most of the time but it can be incredibly hot in the summer and yet we have a very cold winter. Yes trimethoprim  is a broad spectrum and I usually have good success with that. Lovely to hear from all of you.

Northerngirl

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 10:52:35 AM »

Struggling lady, I've also had visible blood in my urine in October and it frightens the life out of you. I had all urology investigations done including cytoscopy...for me it wasn't painful, just uncomfortable I would say(I had local anaesthetic), but as others have said we are all different and I don't have your bladder/bowel issues. Unfortunately my nightmare continues as I'm still waiting for a hysteroscopy and biopsy (finally on the 31st Jan) to see if it's cancer. It'll be  over 3 and a half months since my symptoms began and as many of these ladies know my mental health has taken a real battering...sorry ladies if you're sick of hearing it. MM is one of the few places I feel I can talk openly so thank you all

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 11:36:58 AM »

It's great to vent or take a meander on the Forum ;-)

Jules

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2024, 11:40:09 AM »

Northerngirl, so the 2 weeks wait didn't work due to backlog or your doctor didn't think the symptoms met the criteria? That's a long time to wait. I really wish I could afford private health care, I've no confidence in the NHS response time now

Northerngirl

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 12:59:38 PM »

Yes it's due to backlog and doctors strikes I think. I have all red flag symptoms.  I have no faith in the NHS system at the moment either,  don't blame the staff though they're amazing "when" you finally get to see them.
Going private didn't speed anything up either, he said stay with NHS.
At my breaking point now....I know I only have a week to wait but it'll be months since start and then apparently biopsy results are taking up to 9 weeks to come back. I think I'm in one of the worst areas definitely.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 01:05:38 PM »

Northerngirl don’t know whether you got my other reply I’m having a lot of trouble negotiating this forum,  I don’t know why. I’m really sorry you’re having to go through this. It may not be what you think. Is your blood visible to the naked eye when you wee? It’s a worrying time. In my other post, . I said I had an abscess in my bowel, but for two weeks I thought it was a cancer and it’s horribly worrying. But it wasn’t so fingers crossed for you.

Northerngirl

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 01:18:00 PM »

Northerngirl don’t know whether you got my other reply I’m having a lot of trouble negotiating this forum,  I don’t know why. I’m really sorry you’re having to go through this. It may not be what you think. Is your blood visible to the naked eye when you wee? It’s a worrying time. In my other post, . I said I had an abscess in my bowel, but for two weeks I thought it was a cancer and it’s horribly worrying. But it wasn’t so fingers crossed for you.
This is the first reply I've received from you struggling lady so not sure what you've said. Yes it was visible and this was back in October,  I was then told I have a 8mm womb lining,  a few days later had a heavy bleed. Hence now waiting for hysteroscopy and biopsy under general anaesthetic (first biopsy failed) I am going through the worst time ever and no real end in sight.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 01:35:21 PM »

There are so many threads about possible UTIs and vaginal atrophy - don't worry too much.  We all get to reply eventually.

Is there high humidity there Strugglinglady which is unlikely to help with atrophy! 

Jules

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2024, 08:04:10 PM »

Yes it's due to backlog and doctors strikes I think. I have all red flag symptoms.  I have no faith in the NHS system at the moment either,  don't blame the staff though they're amazing "when" you finally get to see them.
Going private didn't speed anything up either, he said stay with NHS.
At my breaking point now....I know I only have a week to wait but it'll be months since start and then apparently biopsy results are taking up to 9 weeks to come back. I think I'm in one of the worst areas definitely.
My stomach biopsies took 4 months. I phoned the histology lab myself. Still waiting for some from November 8th.  I'm not so convinced about the reliability of good  care in the nhs. It's hut and miss. My sister didn't have a satisfactory experience with skin cancer and my dad's last days in the hospital were sadly lacking. You've to really have your own back so don't take any nonsense and tell them what you expect. Don't be fobbed off.

Northerngirl

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 08:25:28 PM »

Thanks Jules, I really think it is hit and miss with the NHS at the moment. I can see this from the ladies on MM, it's scary how your life is literally in their hands. It is a shockingly  long time that I have been waiting and all I can think is that if I do have cancer how fast is it spreading and will it  be too late ....already at 3 and half months to date and a lot more waiting to come, no wonder my mental health is suffering.I think I might have to start and toughen up but not sure how to because it isn't the staff's fault who you see in hospital is it??
I have been thinking about putting a complaint in but would be worried that this would impact on my treatment.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2024, 08:42:45 PM »

There are so many threads about possible UTIs and vaginal atrophy - don't worry too much.  We all get to reply eventually.

Is there high humidity there Strugglinglady which is unlikely to help with atrophy! Hi CLKD hopefully this reply will work. We normally don’t have humid weather. It’s usually very dry heat and very pleasant but we’ve had a cool change overnight with a bit of rain and so it is very humid today but it doesn’t usually last long, it’s much cooler though, only 31 today.! 😊

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 10:03:20 PM »

31 is HOT!

My friend lives in Brisbane where humidity is draining.   :-\

There could be a whole thread on how the NHS is not functioning to the best of its abilities and I could save them monies too! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3