Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Recurrent urinary tract infections.  (Read 2238 times)

Strugglinglady

Recurrent urinary tract infections.
« on: January 22, 2024, 04:42:55 AM »

Hi all. I have had recurrent uti’s for years.,I always have microscopic haematuria ( think that’s what it’s called ) so blood in sample not seen with naked eye.,even without infection. I’m going to have a cystoscopy, with sedation. My worry is, of course, cancer, but as far as I know I’ve had this microscopic blood in urine for years. I’m 68 , have VA , so my bladder is irritated a lot. Also had a bowel resection five years ago due to diverticulitis, and I think my UTIs are worse since then.. Any advice. Reassurance's etc. I’m not worried about the procedure, just the outcome. Thank you in advance.

Taz2

Re: Recurrent urinary tract infections.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 07:17:40 AM »

Hi. I sympathise as I always have microcospic blood in my urine too and every so often get referred for cystoscopy. I don't have sedation though. It's always linked to my having VA. Do you have actual infections each time or, like me, just the microscopic blood? Are you on any VA treatment?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 10:13:32 AM »

Morning.  Has your GP prescribed appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment which will ease your symptoms.  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well.

Let us know how you get on.  Your GP should have sent a fresh sample of urine to a Lab for 'growing' to check if there is actually an infection.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 10:18:13 AM »

Thanks so much for the replies that’s very reassuring. Most of the time I have infections, but often after infections, when I’m checked, the blood is still there. I was using vagifem but stopped because I was fearful of cancer( silly I know but I have health anxiety) if everything is okay. I suspect she will tell me to go back on it. I think it’s probably good to have a cystoscopy because I’ve never had one and also just in case things have changed since the bowel surgery. Although that has all gone very well.. Il love  this board , always come back to it for advice., so much  .

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 10:20:44 AM »

Does your GP then prescribe appropriate antibiotics for the grown 'bug'? 

When I get the need2P symptoms I take pain relief.

Jules

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 10:41:22 AM »

Hi all. I have had recurrent uti’s for years.,I always have microscopic haematuria ( think that’s what it’s called ) so blood in sample not seen with naked eye.,even without infection. I’m going to have a cystoscopy, with sedation. My worry is, of course, cancer, but as far as I know I’ve had this microscopic blood in urine for years. I’m 68 , have VA , so my bladder is irritated a lot. Also had a bowel resection five years ago due to diverticulitis, and I think my UTIs are worse since then.. Any advice. Reassurance's etc. I’m not worried about the procedure, just the outcome. Thank you in advance.

I had and have "invisible blood" in my urine. I had a really bad UTI infection that wasn't diagnosed and I ended up in hospital in New York.  When I came back I had a cystoscopy following a urine test. I didn't have any sedation. She popped some local up there and it was a piece of cake. Nothing unusual was found but I was told to mention the blood in future when i have urine tests.  It was very worrying at the time, I didn't have any symptoms but I frequently got UTIs after sex. I was 58 when I was in hospital and that was my first ever UTI so very likely menopause related. I hope it all goes well. Don't worry about the cystoscopy. It really wasn't  a problem.  I haven't had any surgery though but I'm sure you'll be fine

Jules

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 10:43:20 AM »

Re the vagifem, I also stopped because I worried about cancer. I really wish I hadn't. I would have been spared some of my problems.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 10:59:11 AM »

I think the Urologist is going to try and talk me into having a local but I don’t think I could. my bladder is so sore at the moment. I know it can be fine for some people but I’ve heard it’s painful for others and I prefer sedation. I am a little bit apprehensive I’ve never had one before. That must’ve been a horrible experience for you to end up in hospital with a UTI. I’ve had some really nasty ones in the past. Even some where I literally am weieing  blood. I had to go to the emergency department for that one. They gave me IV antibiotics and sent me home. I think I’ve had UTIs in the past that just haven’t cleared up. For a while  after my bowel resection I was having the most awful bladder spasms. Thinking back, I think it was an undiagnosed UTI. I have had many more UTIs since that surgery, and I’m not sure why, but I’ll discuss that with her when I see her ( the urologist)  next week. So relieved to know other people have this blood with no reason.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 12:33:38 PM »

I think the Urologist is going to try and talk me into having a local but I don’t think I could. my bladder is so sore at the moment. I know it can be fine for some people but I’ve heard it’s painful for others and I prefer sedation. I am a little bit apprehensive I’ve never had one before. That must’ve been a horrible experience for you to end up in hospital with a UTI. I’ve had some really nasty ones in the past. Even some where I literally am weieing  blood. I had to go to the emergency department for that one. They gave me IV antibiotics and sent me home. I think I’ve had UTIs in the past that just haven’t cleared up. For a while  after my bowel resection I was having the most awful bladder spasms. Thinking back, I think it was an undiagnosed UTI. I have had many more UTIs since that surgery, and I’m not sure why, but I’ll discuss that with her when I see her ( the urologist)  next week. So relieved to know other people have this blood with no reason.

Yes I was peeing thick blood in JFK airport. It was very scary. I was taken to hospital as I went faint in the taxi queue. I wasn't sore when I had the cystoscopy. I really found it fine but I know everybody is different

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 01:07:05 PM »

Strugglinglady - ring the Dept and ask what is avialbel in the way of sedation, if nothing then ask your GP for valium to take the night B4. 

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 03:28:11 PM »

I am the same as Jules re the procedure. The gel around the urethra works well and I had no sensation of the camera going into the bladder. All over in ten minutes and I went straight back to work each time. Everyone is different though. I had conscious sedation for an endoscopy which worked well.

Taz x

Jules

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 08:11:09 PM »

Strugglinglady, if you tell them when you arrive or phone beforehand I'm sure they'll look after you. I told them I was nervous on arrival. The doctor was great. And ask your GP for advice if you need to. I wouldn't ask your doctor for anything specific especially if you might have sedation.  Leave it to the clinicians to help you with the most appropriate thing. Try not to worry, as someone said, it's done and dusted in no time and I just didn't feel anything.

Elliebee

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 09:17:33 PM »

Please make sure you are wiping yourself correctly! So many women are not and transfer faecal bacteria to the urethra opening! Lots of videos on how to wipe correctly from front to back if you google it!

Jules

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 09:43:30 PM »

Please make sure you are wiping yourself correctly! So many women are not and transfer faecal bacteria to the urethra opening! Lots of videos on how to wipe correctly from front to back if you google it!

Good advice.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 02:17:41 AM »

Sorry for the delay in answering, . it’s the time difference I’m in Australia. Also, I’m finding it difficult to answer individual posts so I hope you’ll see this. Yes I definitely think I will have some sort of sedation and I will ask her on Tuesday when I have the appointment just to chat about things. I don’t think I would ask for Valium because it literally does nothing for me. It just doesn’t seem to affect me at all. To the lady that said do I wipe properly yes I do. I’ve been doing that forever. Nothing helps and I think a lot of ladies in my position with this  problem  Find exactly the same thing. I think it’s probably the VA that’s causing this. I’m very sore and burning today but no infection. I can tell, and as soon as I have one, I have the form and the pot to take straight to the clinic and I have an antibiotic on standby, but I never take it until I’ve done my sample because I’ve had several different bugs. Different antibiotics for different bugs. Can I ask with your infections of any of you had different kinds of bacteria besides the usual E. coli?
Pages: [1] 2 3