Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Racing heart at night  (Read 2021 times)

eileenbeattie

Racing heart at night
« on: January 18, 2024, 07:05:08 PM »

Hi folks I'm pretty new to this page and was looking for some advice. I'm 48 and have been having a fast heart rate off and on for 10 years now. I've had all the tests and even a heart scan but nothing wrong. These usually happen when I'm in bed at night and can be quite scary. Im wondering if anyone else has had this symptom . Eileen  :) :)

jaypo

Re: Racing heart at night
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 08:02:08 PM »

Hi,yes, get this,along with palpitations,sometimes it feels like my heart is going to beat through my chest,like you,I've had all the tests,just another delightful symptom of meno. Have you tried relaxation exercises? It may be you have anxiety in the mix too?

eileenbeattie

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 08:15:26 PM »

Hi thank you for your reply. I thought I was going crazy getting these symptoms but glad I'm not the only one. I could easily be suffering anxiety as seems worse when I'm getting these racing heart beats

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 08:36:36 PM »

It really is a viscous circle,anxiety causes rapid beats and the rapid beats cause anxiety,it's quite a common symptom of meno but good you've had it checked out. Have you tried kalms or similar at bedtime?

eileenbeattie

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 08:45:56 PM »

Thanks for your advice. I could give kalms a try to see if that settles me down a bit. I feel like I'm on edge everytime I go to bed thinking if my heart palpitations are going to kick off. Not much fun what we all go through but nice to talk to other people

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 08:26:35 AM »

Pop your symptoms into the search box and you will see how many women suffer from this,have you tried hrt? I don't take it personally but it could help with your anxiety,which it sounds like you have,especially if you're on edge going to bed ,there are lots of things out there,to try,CBD gummies really helped me, also started on Vit D with K2 which has helped with my sleep. Could you ask your Dr to check your vitamin levels?

Songbird

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 09:37:16 AM »

Hi 👋. 
I'm one who suffered quite badly from palpitations. For me I discovered that low oestrogen had caused it. It pretty much disappeared once I started HRT.
Palpitations are scary and, naturally, increase anxiety so it is a bit of a vicious circle.
I hope you get the help you need  :foryou:

eileenbeattie

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 09:58:59 AM »

Hi 👋  thank you so much for your reply. Yeah it is very scary when the heart goes fast and it does make you panic more. First time it happened I though I was gonna die 😱. I've no long started on hrt so I'm hoping things settle down 😊

LC1962

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 11:58:29 AM »

I had a cardiac ‘episode’ caused by infection  twenty years ago, which has left me with something called a bundle block.  It’s benign, but sometimes I get horrendous palpitations.   My cardiologist showed me a couple of techniques which work for me. The first one, is to gently massage the carotid artery in the neck which you can find by placing your fingers over the front of the throat, under the chin. Press gently but firmly and massage the area until the pulse subsides.   You can also keep chill packs in the freezer, and reset the vagus nerve by placing the cold packs over the throat in the same area.  Beware..,this method makes you yawn continuously for about five minutes, but it does work! X

eileenbeattie

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 05:20:58 PM »

Thank you for your advice I will certainly try this is I have any more palpitations 😊