Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UTIs / bladder infections  (Read 1685 times)

VioletAquarius

UTIs / bladder infections
« on: January 17, 2024, 08:14:48 AM »

Does anyone take d-mannose for uti prevention?

I take Holland & Barrett's own brand capsules (1000mg). I take 1 a day (max is 3, but that would work out really expensive).

However, this hasn't worked for preventing a uti as I've now got a mildish bladder infection, so I've upped it to 3 a day to try and get rid.

Just wondered about your experience with them.
> Brand & dosage.
> Does your brand & dosage work at stopping a uti?
> If you take them to cure a uti, how long does it take to clear, and at what dosage?
> Do you recommend an alternative to d-mannose?
> Do you know how long I should give it before seeing a doctor for antibiotics?

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: UTIs / bladder infections
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 09:39:17 AM »

Violet Aquarius - R U using appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment ?  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well.

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 10:33:06 AM »

I used D-Mannose when I first started to get symptoms that I didn't know at the time was vaginal atrophy, although it helped slightly I still ended up with antibiotics which eased the symptoms for a week. I still have them in the cupboard and it felt like another product that I bought out of desperation but it really didn't help me at all in the end. 

The product I used is Vitasmart high strength
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:35:22 AM by Ayesha »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 11:16:30 AM »

It is better to go the route i.e. vaginal atrophy treatment which works, rather than hoping that an alternative might work.  Once symptoms are under control, the use 'as necessary'.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »

However, this hasn't worked for preventing a uti as I've now got a mildish bladder infection, so I've upped it to 3 a day to try and get rid.

MayB VioletAquarious put the product name into the search box to read threads of which I believe, there are many. 

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 11:28:29 PM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have had a few infections over the past 10 years approx, so I believe this is another and not va.

I do use vagifem everynight (for prolapse & urge incontinence), so that's another reason I believe it's not va.

Postmeno3! - How does topical hrt help utis?  Do you mean a cream? And, thanks, I will look at Uva Ursi.

Jules

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 09:41:32 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have had a few infections over the past 10 years approx, so I believe this is another and not va.

I do use vagifem everynight (for prolapse & urge incontinence), so that's another reason I believe it's not va.

Postmeno3! - How does topical hrt help utis?  Do you mean a cream? And, thanks, I will look at Uva Ursi.

I was using vagifem but had to start using ovestin cream externally as the tissues externally also waste and leave you more susceptible to UTIs. UTIs have plagued me mainly starting after sex but I ended up in hospital the first time as at 58 it was the first time I'd had one and the doctor didn't diagnose it.  I know how you must feel. I have profalactic ABs now to take after sex. But I don't think id be able to use them if i had an active and regular sex life.  I have had a couple of bouts that felt like UTI and wasn't hence the ovestin. If I remain celibate I'm generally fine😏

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 10:36:57 AM »

Many women find that Vagifem is not enough and the use of Ovestin used locally on the outside can help to prevent a UTI. Perhaps something for you to take on board but I know its all trial and error when searching for an answer!

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 11:29:34 AM »

VioletAquaurus, feedback would be wonderful if you find an answer to your predicament, it will help so many women as they Google looking for answers.
I know Menopause Matters forum comes right at the top when appropriate words are searched for on the internet with women desperately looking for answers.  :) 

VioletAquarius

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 10:17:34 PM »

I have had a couple of bouts that felt like UTI and wasn't hence the ovestin. If I remain celibate I'm generally fine😏

How do you know it wasn't a uti? Did you get tested at gp?

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 10:19:35 PM »

Many women find that Vagifem is not enough and the use of Ovestin used locally on the outside can help to prevent a UTI. Perhaps something for you to take on board but I know its all trial and error when searching for an answer!

Thanks. I knew some ladies take both for va,but not for uti prevention. In fact,  i didn't even know they prevented them.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 10:20:10 PM »

I have messaged you privately and answered your query, very much in line with the above and more detail on my previous suggestions.

Thank you, I've replied to you.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 10:24:09 PM »

VioletAquaurus, feedback would be wonderful if you find an answer to your predicament, it will help so many women as they Google looking for answers.
I know Menopause Matters forum comes right at the top when appropriate words are searched for on the internet with women desperately looking for answers.  :)

I will do.
I've found another recommended product - hiprex, for uti. Not looked into it myself properly yet, but thought I'd put it here for anyone reading for help.

Jules

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 12:44:50 PM »

I have had a couple of bouts that felt like UTI and wasn't hence the ovestin. If I remain celibate I'm generally fine😏

How do you know it wasn't a uti? Did you get tested at gp?

Not sure if the question was for me, but yes I did get tested. GP sent a sample to the lab. Also I was told ABs can have an anti-inflammatory effect so often give relief if there's some irritation there and not necessarily infection.  I'm paranoid about UTIs after some bad ones and hospitalisation in New York though so always have an emergency pack of ABs

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 06:19:36 PM »

Thanks. I knew some ladies take both for va,but not for uti prevention. In fact,  i didn't even know they prevented them.
Recurrent UTI symptoms were my 1st and main sign of VA. It's how I learnt about it. After taking Vagifem for about 8 weeks, I realised that it had also reduced my night time loo visits. I also remember a theatre trip when I didn't need  to queue for toilets during the interval or after the performance..
Pages: [1] 2