Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Femoral nerve impingement with silent sciatica  (Read 1836 times)

Lalb1

Femoral nerve impingement with silent sciatica
« on: January 13, 2024, 09:44:34 PM »

I posted a few weeks back about leg pain. A weird burning sensation in my left leg mainly and an odd feeling in my.knee that stopped me from bending down on it.
Well it got to the point I needed to see the doctor as it was worrying me more. Had also developed an odd pain/sensation in the left hip.
She said it wasn't a blood clot as no symptoms that pointed to that, she did a lot of different tests manipulated my legs every way.
She said she thinks it's a form of sciatica with some nerve and tendon pain. Was sent for a
physio assessment, again lots of leg manipulation and various stretches.
Turns out it's Silent sciatica! I didn't even know that was a thing. Apparently you can have sciatica but it not cause back pain or buttock pain.The sciatica has then caused Femoral nerve impingement,which is what's causing the burning feeling in my leg and thigh. That's why my knee is sore and achy too, the femoral nerve runs from just round your hip down the thigh round the side of your knee.
She explained why it's burning and why I'm getting the electric shock type symptoms, due to the nerves trying to fire but cos they're inflamed they've made the tendons tight too. Hence why my legs feel like I've run a marathon, why I can't bend down and why they feel super tight.
Have been given lots of exercises to do, told to try and walk as much as is possible as pain free and not to sit about on the sofa or lay on the painful side too much.
Mentioned painkillers but also wanted to give me Amitriptyline - but due to work and driving I declined these for now.
Was told to keep an eye on bowel and bladder in case of any incontinence issues,which is also something Femoral nerves can cause havoc with.
🙄
So hopefully with the exercises and being more aware of how I sit etc, it'll soon ease.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Femoral nerve impingement with silent sciatica
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 09:05:19 AM »

'silent sciatica' - my similar pains were diagnosed as ......... and I've forgotten right now  :-\.  Physio gave me stretching exercises which may/not have helped.

OK so I've had a lookC and it seems that the sciatic nerve runs down the back of the leg, femoral nerve to the front.  So all these years I've said 'sciatica', it ain't been.   :-\

I have suffered sciatica - from the point in the buttock where the nerve emerges, even now when I press on that site it is sore.  The pains often missed the thigh, affecting the outer calf into the foot  :-\.  Two Nurofen and a brisk walk - well as fast as was possible until the nerve eases - helped. 

Hopefully your exercises will relieve symptoms.  I also had deep, acute pain in the thigh muscles, so sudden and severe that I was unable to yell.  Turns out that was due to bending over  to look into cabinets at antique fairs  ::)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 01:18:14 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Femoral nerve impingement with silent sciatica
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 01:18:32 PM »

How is the exercise helping?