Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Belated hello  (Read 1201 times)

olive

Belated hello
« on: January 12, 2024, 02:36:55 PM »

Hello everyone

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing...had I known about this forum at age 46 when it all began to go wrong, I would have saved myself a massive amount of heartache, stress and money. I also wish I could write an open letter to the medical industry saying "When you or your organisation are providing a test commentary or professional service to a woman over 45 (or even UNDER 45!), PLEASE stop and think: might this possibly be menopause-related?"

My story is no different to many on here and similar communities. I went to my GP at 46 and said, I'm exhausted all the time, please help. She offered to test my iron. I said it would be normal. It was. And that was the end of the story as far as she was concerned. Looking back, I find that totally staggering. I struggled on for another 2 years or so.

Then I started paying for private tests (the usual culprits for tiredness ....VitD, thyroid etc.). All normal. But aha! My cortisol is spiking! What did that mean? Commentary from Dr. at test company: "You are suffering from stress. Learn some stress management techniques". Actually, what was happening is I had the same level of stress but not the hormones to deal with it any more!

I went to a nutritionist (even though I've always had a very healthy diet and lifestyle). 18 months and 3 expensive rounds of personalised supplements later I was no better. "You've probably got leaky gut syndrome" - I immediately paid for a test - negative. I also had prediabetic blood sugar - a total surprise for a healthy eater who had always been slim. Then came the hot flushes at 50 and I thought - oh thank god, that's the problem and I can get it fixed. GP put me on lowest dose tablet and they stopped overnight. I was overjoyed. But nothing else changed and my GP said there was nothing else she could do for me (looking back I am SO angry about that). I went to an endocrinologist. Another raft of tests, expensive enough to make you weep. "Nope, you're fine, try taking St John's Wort". REALLY???? There's more, including a locum GP who said it was probably CFS and tough luck there's no treatment... but you get the picture. NONE of these people thought to consider menopause as a possible cause (all of the above symptoms plus textbook fatigue, brain fog, insomnia, anxiety etc.).

I also suffer with chronic pain since age 30 so I am fighting that battle at the same time and have already had back and hip surgery. Suffice to say I kept running out of steam in the search for answers to my other symptoms, but I just kept on coming back to it when I could muster the strength.

In March 2023 I found myself just not wanting to be around any more. I self-referred for help with my mental health and was offered CBT. It did help me in a limited way, but despite what NICE in their wisdom are now saying (!) you can't bl**dy well think your way out of a hormone deficiency!

During that time I went over everything again and mapped out all my symptoms and test results over the past decade, after more research I finally realised they ALL pointed to menopause. Since then, like all of you, I've been on a crusade to get treatment. Advocating for myself through the exhaustion has been so hard, and several types of HRT have already failed, but I am at least now getting traction with my GP surgery and refuse to be fobbed off, judged or patted on the head any more. The catalyst was that my libido recently got up and went. That was the last straw.

So to all those whose information on here helped me get this far once I found MM and started lurking around here - thank you!!! At almost 57, I now have some hope that I will recognise myself again at some point later this year. There are no guarantees my next regime will work, but your support and your experiences have brought me back from the edge, and I'm so grateful for that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:38:29 PM by olive »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Belated hello
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 02:45:16 PM »

Sounds pretty similar, sadly  :'(.  There's no joined up thinking either between various specialities.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  That at least gives us an idea as to how many 'better' days we actually have!

Join the Club!  This isn't anything to do with the NHS being under funded etc., this is about ignorance.  Lack of knowledge, GPs who won't listen to their patients in case we know more than they do!

Rant over  ;D.  R U aware of vaginal atrophy ........... 4warned is 4armed ;-)

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 03:52:06 PM »

R U aware of vaginal atrophy ........... 4warned is 4armed ;-)

The biggest mystery of them all only known to women who find this forum, the font of all things menopausal!

olive

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 03:56:23 PM »

CLKD thank you that's a good suggestion. I so badly need a 'better' day  :'(

As for VA (that's really funny Ayesha  ;D)... yup, that is hitting me up good and proper now, just when I thought I had all the symptoms I was going to get! Mercifully not pain/dryness although I started Ovestin cream in September at doc's suggestion after first libido conversation - very messy so thinking of trying Estring instead but need to do some research.

It's my bladder, which has now decided we shall pee 5 times a night despite a negative UTI test. WT*??

Honestly you just get on top of one thing and along comes the next

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 04:25:03 PM »

Probably not a urine infection but atrophy.   I've never found ovestin messy  :-\ because most of the product is absorbed by the vaginal walls.  The idea being to use every night for 2-3 weeks to plump up the tissues.  Urine infection-type symptoms can mimic VA really really well.  So the need2P is aggravated by a loss of oestrogen, also the muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

Get that ovestin up there, one dose this afternoon and another tonight.  When I get the need2P I swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to ease the nip as the urine flow stops. 

It's The Change - does what it says on the tin ;-). 

It does get better olive! 

olive

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 04:58:03 PM »

Thanks CKLD. Yes I totally agree which is why I was furious that they put me straight on ABs for 3 days and refused to test me until after that - no change and then the test WAS negative but I'm still on laxatives a month later and about £50 down on those and probiotics to get my microbiome back  >:(

I keep shoving the Ovestin up there with the applicator at night but most of it seems to end up in my underwear! Told GP but she said that's normal. I'll persevere. No burning (so far!) so I'm thankful for that.

TGIF!
x

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 05:03:50 PM »

Put vaginal atrophy in the search box, there are loads of posts on here that you will find helpful.
There are alternative treatments like Vagifem, a pessary that you might find less messy but could still use a small amount of Ovestin topically on the outside.

Don't let it progress to the nasty stage as it can take months for the treatment to take effect and be in charge of the treatment that suits you best, not what a GP suggests is best for you! 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 05:33:00 PM »

It means that your vagina isn't soaking up the ingredients yet ;-).  I also slather some around the labial area to keep it less dry.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 12:14:28 PM »

Hello Olive and welcome to the forum.

I completely understand your frustration with it all. I have recently given up on my very expensive private menopause clinic as they were charging me a fortune but didn't really help very much. I am now back with my GP surgery who have installed a Senior Nurse Practitioner as their menopause expert.
She is lovely but her first comment was ' I assume that you are doing well '. What made her think that? I replied that if I was doing well I wouldn't be sitting in her office, I would be out there living my life. As I updated her on my 'journey'  I started to cry and she said that was okay, she didn't  mind if I cried, my response was that I mind and it is happening often and can't be right.

And so the fight goes on! At the moment I am using HRT prescribed by the SNP, that being 2 pumps of Oestrogel daily and Utrogestan 100mg taken orally as night. I don't have VA symptoms other than needing to wee once in the middle of the night but I do know that dryness etc begins when on a low dose of oestrogen.

Like you I have sometimes wondered if it is worth carrying on when mother nature seems to hate us and the medical establishment are unwilling or unable to help.  However carry on we do!

I wish you luck with your next regime and all the lovely ladies on MM are here to support you.

Take care.

K.

Minnie Mouse

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 12:37:18 PM »

Totally totally sympathise…
Non stop roller coaster of different body parts going wrong and made so much worse by total medical ignorance.
I could have saved myself so much anxiety last year had there been any medical knowledge about some of the unusual skin sensations, I thought at one point that I must be having a stroke, grrh

olive

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 05:25:49 PM »

Thank you for the sympathy, empathy and advice ladies. Likewise I hope your journeys get smoother. I sometimes feel like I'm doing another full-time job on top of my real job just to get anywhere with it all!

I'll increase the frequency of ovestin and have also asked to try Estring. More is more in this case I think!

x