Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 1184 times)

CarryB75

• First Flush
Depression
« on: January 06, 2024, 10:03:14 PM »

Hi everyone, hope someone can help! Thankfully I’m already on HRT for peri menopausal symptoms - 3 pumps Oestrogel and Utrogestan (vaginally of licence) I’m 46…

My main issue is awful, soul destroying depression (Antidepressants have worked well for me in the past with temporary bouts of depression BEFORE I hit peri menopause)

But since I hit peri, antidepressants don’t seem to work for me anymore 🥺 I’ve tried antidepressants alone, no relief, I’ve tried antidepressants with HRT, no relief.

BUT then I tried HRT alone and was amazed that I actually felt happiness for the first time in at least a year! All was going well, my mood was good, I actually enjoyed Xmas (had a not very social one as I’m immune compromised and have to be careful) then ironically I got either the dreaded Covid or Flu (and I ended up on antibiotics) then 4 days into the illness, bam…it was like the light switch went off, my depression is back.

It’s been 10 days now of feeling like this again and it’s terrifying, obviously I will contact my GP but I know there’s a lot of wonderful knowledge on here! Anyone else experienced a ‘glitch’ in HRT following illness….I know Covid plays havoc with hormones so I’m terrified I’m not going to feel happiness again.

I’m so sorry this is not a very nice subject and wish everyone a happy new year X ❤️

Gnatty

Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 02:39:14 PM »

Hello, I don't know a great deal but lots of women find their oestrogen levels dip after COVID/virus. The good thing about oestrogel is that you can alter your dose quite easily. So you could try going up to four pumps and see if that helps. Also do remember this time of year is difficult anyway with the low light levels. Are you taking Vitamin D and getting enough daylight? I have a feeling low vitamin D can mess with oestrogen levels/ make us feel low too. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Depression
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 05:40:36 PM »

I think that there are responses in your other thread?