Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: What no-one told me: being post-menopausal is like having a slow puncture  (Read 1682 times)

Violetta808

Hello! Just joined, first post. I’ve been browsing the group and am finding the hive-mind of information here so useful and also reassuring.

I’m 55 and started HRT three months ago. It's been a long time coming.

I largely sailed through peri (apart from a fibroid in 2014 that caused a lot of bleeding but that was removed and I went back to normal - no Mirena). I had no other symptoms, which surprised my GP because she said my hormonal profile was one of deepest perimenopause.

In 2018 I had a classic trio of mid-life events - I turned 50, my mother died and I started getting hot flushes, all in the space of six months. Over the next year my periods wound down. I had my last one in October 2019. The only other symptom was dryness - eyes, skin, vulva and vagina - and loss of libido and lowish mood. It felt like I’d lost something really important. I put that down to my mother’s death (though she lived a very long life - she would have turned 100 today), then the pandemic came along.

Technically I was one of those lucky ones. With a weird sense of pride and denial I described myself as having ‘sailed through’ the menopause (this I realise has not helped). The hot flushes stopped, my sleep pattern was fine, I functioned well at work, vaginal oestrogen meant I could sit down comfortably. I thought once the transition was over I would go back to normal. But I was still feeling like I’d lost my zest for life, and lost the person I used to be. Loss of libido is weird - it was like something just slowly faded away in my brain, but I didn’t really care (I think my partner, who is older than me, has a touch of the equivalent ‘andropause’, but that’s another story).

The last year or so I was getting a lot of headaches, some joint pain (which I put down to training for a half marathon) and a weird ticking tinnitus in one ear, then I had mild Covid in September but it left me feeling really knackered, plus I started getting a disconcerting fluttering sensation at the top of my chest (my blood pressure is normal).

I started on Everol Conti 50 patches in October and within a week I stopped having headaches, I no was no longer hobbling when I got out of bed in the morning, and the tinnitus and palpitations were gone. It has been a bit of a revelation to be honest. I feel so much less sad.

However, the big caveat has been the bleeding, which started as spotting after two weeks on the patches but has got heavier and heavier. I had my three-month review a couple of days ago and am now on a two-week referral for an ultrasound (I am not concerned). I’ve moved to Everol 50 and utrogestan in the meantime to see if that curbs the bleeding. I still have no libido to speak of but I can live with that, and my GP, who is really good, has said once the investigations are done and I have my oestrogen-progestogen balance optimised, thinking about testosterone will be the next step.

So that is my story so far! I’d love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.

SarahT

My own situation is very different, I am 57 and still perimenopause, but can relate to many of your own symptoms.
Am sure someone will be along who can identify more fully... I just wanted to say hello and welcome! 😁

Violetta808

Hi Sarah, thanks for replying. We are indeed all so different in the way we respond to menopause but yes there are many similarities too. Several of my friends and family of similar age are still having regular periods so I feel I went through it quite early, though technically I was bang on average at 51. I am really glad I found this forum as I know that there are a lot of experiences in common.

sheila99

:welcomemm:
Slow puncture? Mine was a blowout  :(

discogirl

Hi Violetta808

I can relate to your story, I 'sailed through' peri (or as you say, so I thought!!) until I was about 4 years post meno, I also developed tinnitus in one ear, developed chronic anxiety and insomnia.

HRT helped with the tinnitus and to a greater degree the insomnia, the anxiety (or feelings of dread) was always there but I put that down to the utrogestan. I changed progesterone as I did not settle on the utro, however I then had a heavy abnormal bleed and a thickened womb lining, biopsy was fine, but have been off hrt as I'm not sure what to do about the progesterone part and definately do not want a coil fitted.

I'm really pleased that Evorel and utro are helping you and although I've never used testosterone from what I understand that can help libido x

fiftyplus

Hello & Welcome Violetta  :welcomemm: slow puncture - so true ...

Sheila snapsies there - blowout - that's how I would describe mine too - I have to say you made me laugh 

Violetta808

Hello sheila99 and fiftyplus and thanks for the warm welcome. Blowout... ouch. It was definitely a slow, sad decline in my case, though don't know what's preferable!

Discogirl your symptoms sound so similar. I have only been on utrogestan five days so far and have decided to take it vaginally, off-licence, to avoid systemic side effects. The bleeding seems to have stopped today (yay) but I felt extremely spaced out this morning. Goodness knows how I'd feel if I was swallowing the capsules.

I don't want a Mirena either but am thinking seriously whether I should try after all. I have friends and family who are very happy having one. I understand why you wouldn't want one, though.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 10:14:59 PM by Violetta808 »

discogirl

Hi Violetta808

Yes, I also know people who are happy with a Mirena, I think it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. Maybe give it a go and see how you are on it, you can always get it removed if you're not happy with it.

Im really pleased your bleeding has stopped x

Penguin

I dont know what the half life of utrogestan is (I thought 3 hours but that seems very low and made be different with vaginal route anyway) bit I do think midnight is a bit late to be taking it if you want a chance of being clear headed in the morning.
Also pleased your bleeding has stopped. You may find once you are able to lower your dose that you aren't as dopey on the 100mg.
I'm still weighing up the mirena too.

Violetta808

Well the good news is, apart from the tiniest amount of spotting two days ago, I am still bleed free. I am sort of getting used to the Utrogestan and can just about tolerate it, I suppose, but I still feel sluggish. I think I'd feel much better on 100mg nightly instead. I am still having weird dreams and had a classic night terror last week where I thought I had woken up but couldn't move and there was a 'presence' in the room, which left me with a feeling of dread all the next day.

Meanwhile I'd not received my 2 week ultrasound appointment - my helpful GP investigated and called me to say the hospital rejected my urgent referral, apparently because I was bleeding between 0-3 months and their guidelines say to wait until after 4 months! She was clearly annoyed at this as she has now had to write another referral with slightly different wording.

There used to be a fantastic community ultrasound service at another surgery in the borough but it has just been closed down. Hence the pressure on everyone, I guess.