Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mammograms  (Read 1646 times)

VioletAquarius

Mammograms
« on: January 04, 2024, 11:58:35 PM »

I had a mammogram a year ago, and a year before that, due to armpit pain.  Thankfully all clear.
They told me if I am called for a routine mammogram within the next year (or 2 years, can't remember which), they said not to have it.

I have now received my first routine mammogram, so I rang up to cancel and asked for them to call me back in 2 years (so effectively it would be 3 years from my last, as that is what I want, as routines are done every 3 years), but they can't do that due to the procedure of how it all works.

I really don't know what to do, I don't want to have it, because if I do, I would have had 3 mammograms in 3 years and I'm only 50 (51 in a few weeks), but then if I don't go I won't get called for another 3 years, (roughly when I will turn 54).

She did say I could call back in 1 or 2 years (or whatever I want) to have it done, but my 3 yearly intervals/call backs will still be the same, ie I would still be called back in 3 years, in 2027, (and if I rung up in 1 or 2 years she didn't know how long a wait I would have).

I really don't know what to do, I'm scared as mammograms can increase the risk of cancer, but then they can detect it too.

Any info, help, advice, etc, would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

SadieLou

Re: Mammograms
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 12:25:02 AM »

I don't  know that I can help that much, but I'm 51and have had a mammogram every year since I was 39/40.   For about a year and a half I had one every six months as they were watching a suspicious spot.   I've never heard of yearly mammograms being a problem.   That's the standard screening in the States after age 50 (or maybe it's 45 now).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 12:27:37 AM by SadieLou »

VioletAquarius

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 09:50:29 PM »

Hi SadieLou

Thank you for replying.  Here in the UK our procedure is once every 3 years until age 70.

At what age does it stop in the US?

fiftyplus

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 10:26:48 PM »

I am 55 in the UK and I have had 1 mammogram - apparently due my next in March (I only know this as I phoned up to enquire) as I felt it had been ages since the last one and I have only had 1 so far and it had only remined me when 1 of my colleagues had gone for hers. 

In your shoes I would probably just go as they were keeping an eye on you with doing 2 in 2 years and but it is your shout and up yourself x

SadieLou

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 01:12:56 AM »

At what age does it stop in the US?

Honestly, I have no idea.  It probably depends on the insurance carrier.   My current insurance covers one per year (unless something is found and then it covers more) and also pays for 3D.   My previous insurance covered me prior to the recommended screening age, but not all of them do. 

Booroo

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 06:52:18 AM »

I am 55 in the UK and I have had 1 mammogram - apparently due my next in March (I only know this as I phoned up to enquire) as I felt it had been ages since the last one and I have only had 1 so far and it had only remined me when 1 of my colleagues had gone for hers. 

In your shoes I would probably just go as they were keeping an eye on you with doing 2 in 2 years and but it is your shout and up yourself x

I’m 51 and fortunately not had to have one previously but when do they call you for your first one? Is it dependent on which area you live? I’m Cornwall.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 07:03:53 AM »

I’m 51 and fortunately not had to have one previously but when do they call you for your first one? Is it dependent on which area you live? I’m Cornwall.

I am in Sussex and was told between 50 and 53 you get called for first one.

fiftyplus

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 11:45:20 AM »

I am in Scotland and I understand it is after your 50th birthday.  I was 52 when I got my 1st,  due to availability I expect and I think yes it could vary from area to area and I am due my 2nd one in March when I will be 55 (and then every 3 years thereafter)

fiftyplus

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 11:48:20 AM »

Ok, so that guess didn't work.  Ladies please help me, how do I reply to a quoted message?  thanks x

Booroo

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 12:18:30 PM »

I am in Scotland and I understand it is after your 50th birthday.  I was 52 when I got my 1st,  due to availability I expect and I think yes it could vary from area to area and I am due my 2nd one in March when I will be 55 (and then every 3 years thereafter)

Thanks all

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 11:50:56 PM »

Thanks SadieLou, so looks like no set procedure as such in the US, unlike in the UK, so that looks like a promising thing, as if they thought having too many was a concern it would be capped.

Thanks Fiftyplus for your reply, and in answer to your question, to reply to a quote; find the comment/response you want to reply to, and you will see on the right hand side it says quote.  Click on it and it will bring the usual white box up with the quote in square brackets.  Go to the bottom and type your response under it, then click post as normal.

Boohoo - you get called for one between age 50 and 53.  Your gp practice sends a list of ladies between this age group to the breast screening service and they go through the list inviting them all.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 11:55:22 PM by VioletAquarius »

Booroo

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 05:40:21 PM »

Thanks SadieLou, so looks like no set procedure as such in the US, unlike in the UK, so that looks like a promising thing, as if they thought having too many was a concern it would be capped.

Thanks Fiftyplus for your reply, and in answer to your question, to reply to a quote; find the comment/response you want to reply to, and you will see on the right hand side it says quote.  Click on it and it will bring the usual white box up with the quote in square brackets.  Go to the bottom and type your response under it, then click post as normal.

Boohoo - you get called for one between age 50 and 53.  Your gp practice sends a list of ladies between this age group to the breast screening service and they go through the list inviting them all.

Thank you

Jules

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 05:54:01 PM »

I've been recalled twice. Both times I had repeat mammograms on one breast. So two in short succession. The last time nothing was wrong, it was hiw id been squashed in the machine so I suppose it was unnecessary exposure.  Its hard to know really. I don't feel 3 yearly mammograms are enough.  They're only as good as the day they're taken. It's just a way of catching some women on any given day

Northerngirl

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 10:55:54 AM »

I'm 55 and just had my 3rd routine mammogram, had my first aged 49 as they started doing them just  before 50