Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello I’m new!  (Read 1291 times)

PearlJ

Hello I’m new!
« on: December 19, 2023, 11:30:00 PM »

Hi everyone
I’m 55 and up until recently I assumed I had been ‘sailing’ through menopause. No period in over 3 years and no hot flushes. Then literally overnight recently I started feeling uncontrollably emotional over things that would never affect me before. My libido went from 100 to zero and I also found intimacy painful!
I started HRT patches last week so fingers crossed. I’ve also been given Blissel gel but I’m not really getting on with that! Hoping to find some help on that one! Thanks

Booroo

Re: Hello I’m new!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 07:06:46 AM »

Have you tried vagirux? Pessaries they work for me although I have to use them 5/7 days else it starts to get bit uncomfortable but with systemic aswell you should be ok

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 10:46:15 AM »

Vaginal atrophy treatment can take weeks, even months to work, you might need to give it some time if you have just started treatment. If you think the Blissel is not working there are other treatments that will help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 03:33:15 PM »

Ask your GP for 'vagifem' internally as well as 'ovestin' for the labia area.  I found relief within 2 weeks as well as using nurofen to ease the nip as the urine flow shuts off.

The idea is to insert every night for 2-3 weeks and as necessary.  Some find that every 3rd and 6/7th night is enough, others need treatment every night.  As well as looking at 'sylc' and 'yes' products which can also ease symptoms around the labia/vulva.

We have lots of threads here as well as the 'bladder issues' to read.  Let us know how you get on.

fiftyplus

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 07:00:39 PM »

Hello & Welcome PearlJ :welcomemm:

I too am 55 and like yourself, I thought I was just about through the menopause having coped with all the symptoms so far - how wrong I was the worst was saved to last - painful sex - ouch!  for which I have been using ovestin cream for just the last couple of months and I think it has helped - defo things are better "down there" than they were before. :bed:

What patches have you been given?  I was also given patches but I have not taken them thus far but may change my mind in the new year so would be really interested to hear how you get on with them x

I have low mood & low energy which could just be the time of year or life in general at the moment and also have no libido (it has gone but could just be because of painful sex!) so I would be really interested to hear if this improves any with using the patches - My GP said they would defo improve libido (I don't know if she was speaking from personal experience or not). Please keep in touch x and let us know how you get on with this journey/nightmare ...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 07:16:22 PM by fiftyplus »

PearlJ

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 10:04:00 AM »

So…. My issue with Blissel gel is that almost instantly it gave me an unpleasant yellow mucus discharge. The nurse who prescribed it told me to apply with my finger but the prescription said to insert an amount by the tube on a night at bedtime. I was put off using it at bedtime as I just found the whole thing even worse for intimacy so used in the morning.  It really was too gross to continue. I don’t have massive VA symptoms just painful sex but no general soreness or irritation.
My patches are Evorel so I will let you know how I get on!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 10:08:53 AM »

You need to knock VA on the head ASAP regardless of how large/small symptoms may B.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  Once a regime helps 1 can settle into treating the condition.

The vagina cleanses itself until hormone levels drop.  Then dryness, itchiness, tearing of thin tissues may occur.

Violetta808

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 10:00:00 PM »

Hi Pearl, I’m new here too and am having a similar experience. I’m also 55, last period four years ago, and mostly ‘sailed through’ it all. It was in the years after all that, and was a slow decline rather than sudden, but I too now have the dryness and zero libido. I am using vagifem tablets and ovestin cream, which do help. I started on the Everol 50 patch in October which has been best of all and made me feel moisturised from the inside out, which is great. It hasn’t made much difference to libido in my case but it’s early days.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 10:38:40 AM »

PearlJ - there are other products.  It mayB that the vaginal walls in your case didn't absorb enough of the replacement, it takes a while to get the balance correct.  If U leave the dryness untreated it may become worse.  Perhaps ask for 'vagifem' and 'ovestin' - once the condition is under control, the amount used can be reduced.