Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feels like the body snatchers have invaded  (Read 783 times)

millysue72

• First Flush
Feels like the body snatchers have invaded
« on: December 19, 2023, 08:22:19 PM »

Hi everyone, I feel like an alien as taken over my body, most of the time. Some days I feel perfectly fine, other daysI wonder which menopause symptom I’ll have today. I seem to be having all the symptoms , to varying degrees. I started hrt about 3 months ago. It seems to have eased some of the symptoms but I’m still struggling. I find the unpredictability difficult to deal with. Which joint will hurt today? Tearful or ready for war? Hot or cold? How many mood swings? I’ve had mental health issues for decades. I’ve worked hard to overcome them. Now it can within seconds feel like I’m back to beginning.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feels like the body snatchers have invaded
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 10:29:07 AM »

Morning. For a while your hormone upheaval may well over-whelm your mental health issues.

R U able to tell us which HRT regime you have been prescribed?  Which symptom you hoped to ease first?  Some regimes can be added to for example .........

Joint aches and pains can be due to low oestrogen levels.  U R not alone!

millysue72

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 10:44:41 PM »

I’m currently on 75mg patch and 100mg progesterone.
I find the aches and pains difficult because my current job is very physical. They do seem to have eased. The hot and cold flushes make me feel rough but I can tolerate them and they seem to have eased. I’m probably most fearful of the effect it seems to have on my mental health. One minute I’ll be fine then I’m tearful and considering self harm. I hate been so irritable because I struggle with been out of control. I take propranolol for anxiety but it doesn’t seem to be working anymore. I’m anxious about been anxious. The self esteem that I’ve worked hard to attain ,disappears. Then I’ll have a good day and I’m totally fine. My IBS also seems to have returned. The UTI symptoms that don’t seem to get to the so bad that they need treatment but enough to irritate. I’ll probably have to go onto cranberry juice permanently.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 10:13:41 AM »

Morning.  There is no peer reviewed research that cranberry juice has any good effects.

I suggest that you consider beginning a regime of treating the vaginal atrophy B4 it becomes problematic.  As hormone levels drop the whole body may become dry ....... including the vagina/vulval areas.  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well so the sooner treatment is started, the quicker symptoms ease.  For me it was like razor blades  :o up there, 'ovestin' regularly has sorted that.

How often and how much Propranolol have you been prescribed?  I took 20mg at night which helped a lot. 

IBS often becomes a nuisance as hormones raise and fall [?rise and fall  :-\?].   10 mins B4 a bleed began I would have to dash to the loo, even if a period wasn't due.  I had years when I had dreadful nausea in the 10 days leading up to a period, I was advised to eat every 3 hours.  To help energy levels.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  To chart progress as we can 4get the days when we feel well  ::)