Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Atrophy  (Read 3913 times)

fiftyplus

Re: Atrophy
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2023, 12:22:59 PM »

I started on vagifem but some nights it would fall out half dissolved - so changed to ovestin so at least I know it stays there and hopefully works - any suggestions as to why the vagifem would have fallen out half dissolved?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2023, 12:31:14 PM »

MayB your vagina skin was too thin to grip the pessary/capsule?  However, what goes up ......... had the capsule dissolved at all 50+?

Joaniepat

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2023, 12:45:13 PM »

I started on vagifem but some nights it would fall out half dissolved - so changed to ovestin so at least I know it stays there and hopefully works - any suggestions as to why the vagifem would have fallen out half dissolved?
That was due to the vagina being dry. The Vagifem should stick to the vaginal wall. Coating the applicator in a moisturiser such as Sylk or Yes VM helps. Or switching to Ovestin as you did.
JP x

Jules

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2023, 01:00:48 PM »

How long does it take to dissolve?

Ayesha

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2023, 02:32:31 PM »

The pessary is rock hard and very dry in consistency, which makes it no surprise that some of us require the added help of Ovestin for the outer area, and because of this it takes a long time to dissolve.

Once inserted high enough, like inserting a tampon far enough that its comfortable and you don't feel it, it should never fall out. But we are all different and it could be a muscle issue that's ejecting it.

fiftyplus

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2023, 04:44:59 PM »

@CLKD most of them stayed up fine it was just a couple that fell out half dissolved which put me off them as I wondered if the others had stayed put.  Perhaps they weren't put up far enough as it was just at the start when I was a novice at it.  I don't think it has shrunk very much as at my smear recently the doctor had to look for a longer speculum to get to what she needed to and she said the muscles up there were tight and no chance of a prolapse which sounded good to me x

Jules

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2023, 06:57:09 PM »

I don't insert mine right up. I did do but read on here something about the best place being lower so that it's away from the cervix, less absorbed into the uterus.

fiftyplus

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2023, 07:39:17 PM »

Thanks for that Jules - have you ever had any that have fallen down/out? x

Jules

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2023, 07:48:32 PM »

Thanks for that Jules - have you ever had any that have fallen down/out? x

Not that I'm aware of. I insert at bedtime so I'm not vertical for a few hours.  I'm not sure that the placement is right either. It was on another thread, someone posted some research.

fiftyplus

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2023, 08:38:30 PM »

Thanks for that Jules.  I had inserted half way up until I felt resistance which was what was on the instructions but hey ho it's a minefield isn't it but so far so good with the ovestin so I will go with that but I am learning new things on here all the time - I couldn't tell you what I looked like before "down there" and still haven't had a look and don't think I will but as long as I am not in pain or uncomfortable that is all that I am bothered about.

You had mentioned earlier that this had put you off your man friend and I suspect you have lost confidence with all of this as had I but I had asked my husband if he had felt things any different or had he thought I looked different "down there" and he had said no, so please don't be so hard on yourself were men are concerned as I don't think they are really too fussy or notice what it looks like if you know what I mean - I think as long as they are "getting it" they are quite happy and also as men age they have their problems too so you could be surprised how understanding they are - I was ... I hope this makes you feel a bit better about yourself.  Take care and be good to you x

Jules

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2023, 01:13:42 AM »

Thanks for that Jules.  I had inserted half way up until I felt resistance which was what was on the instructions but hey ho it's a minefield isn't it but so far so good with the ovestin so I will go with that but I am learning new things on here all the time - I couldn't tell you what I looked like before "down there" and still haven't had a look and don't think I will but as long as I am not in pain or uncomfortable that is all that I am bothered about.

You had mentioned earlier that this had put you off your man friend and I suspect you have lost confidence with all of this as had I but I had asked my husband if he had felt things any different or had he thought I looked different "down there" and he had said no, so please don't be so hard on yourself were men are concerned as I don't think they are really too fussy or notice what it looks like if you know what I mean - I think as long as they are "getting it" they are quite happy and also as men age they have their problems too so you could be surprised how understanding they are - I was ... I hope this makes you feel a bit better about yourself.  Take care and be good to you x

Thanks for the thoughtful words. Yes it has deterred me. The change that I noticed happened while I wasn't paying attention I think. And it was actually when I was having a physical exam after some spotting that I started being aware as the doctor gave a running commentary. I felt like an old woman and also had no idea those things happened.  So I started paying more attention and it actually worsened quite quickly at that point and that's when I read an account on here about someone using ovestin. Thing is I wasn't using it often enough so now on nightly.  I was apart from my friend for a couple of months due to his work  and I didn't resume after that because I felt different. It feels so vain or selfish to be troubled by appearance but when it's your female bits it's hard. And now 3 months on I've lost confidence. I enjoyed sex before, i can't face getting my kit off now.
 I'm just hoping the estrogen will help. I just wished my doctor had suggested it at the same time she prescribed vagifem. We women don't half have some rubbish to put up with

Bella247

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2023, 06:53:45 PM »

bloody GPs!!! It’s like they are allergic to offering any type of reassurance. It’s as if they sign a contract at medical school not to ever give anyone any hope. I get don’t over promise but I feel like they go too far the other way and that can make you feel totally hopeless.
I’ve found this forum really useful for correcting my (pretty useless) GP. I didn’t get on with Vagirux or Vagirux plus estriol cream on the vulva but touch wood thanks to this forum I persuaded my GP Ovestin isn’t exactly the same as the generic estriol that wasn’t working for me (and I think maybe also making me more sore). From what I’ve read there is hope. I got a cancellation with the gynaecologist and she said it’s ok to use Ovestin x 2 a week internally and externally and also externally on the vulva every other day.
I also find using v magic vulva balm after I wee, using black free toilet paper and sanitary pads and only washing with aqueous cream helpful
X

Jules

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2023, 07:29:43 PM »

Well I'm using vagifem alternate nights and ovestin externally every night so I must be over dosing but with the progression of the atrophy, anything less would make no headway. Anyone else using my dosage?

kathryn22

Re: Atrophy update
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2024, 02:04:56 PM »

Thought I would post a quick update for anyone interested
Saw the gynaecologist this morning and as expected he confirmed the Atrophy (so all my prayers have gone unheard and it wasn’t a mistake 🤦‍♀️ I do have it) … but on the positive he says my medication routine is suitable suggested a few tweaks which he said “might”help including a mild steroid cream for external use and thinks it all should start to kick in soon. He’s arranging for me to see the physiotherapist to make sure I’m doing the pelvic floor exercises properly. Also, the double prolapse my GP said I had,is in fact a single one , bowel only grade 2 and bladder is fine,so it’s the Atrophy causing the symptoms
So I suppose that’s a good thing. He has offered to surgically repair the prolapse if I want and told me to have a think and let him know as if it’s not causing a problem at the moment there’s no rush and it’s a bit of a long haul operation. So at least I know more today than yesterday. It wasn’t the resolution I wanted, I clung onto the hope that I had raging thrush and a UTI, but that’s life. I have to concentrate now on getting the beast under control and at least I know my bits are not going to fall out if I cough. So not a good day, but not a bad one either  :-\ :-\

Ayesha

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2024, 03:10:02 PM »

Thanks for the update, Kathryn.
To be honest I would be cheered by the news, you now have something to work on and hopefully an operation won't be necessary in the future.
Seems to me you are getting well looked after and VA once under control is no problem to have to live with.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4