Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: After a full hysterectomy  (Read 3240 times)

Birdwatcher

After a full hysterectomy
« on: December 10, 2023, 09:39:41 PM »

I was found to have endometrial cancer in August of this year. I had a full hysterectomy, and I am 61 years of age. I have recovered from surgery and I do not need any further treatment, I’m pleased to say.
I have become so emotional, anxious and miserable recently. I read up this can happen after such surgery. Does anyone have any recommendations of how I can get over this, I’m not enjoying it and neither is my partner. I thought I’d just be so happy . I was not told about this pre op, thanks in advance

Nas

Re: After a full hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 08:28:45 AM »

Hi Birdwatcher,
Sorry to hear you are suffering.

Are you able to take HRT at all? That may alleviate some of your symptoms?

Were you on HRT prior to the hysterectomy?

Xx

Birdwatcher

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 10:09:10 AM »

Hi Nas , thanks for your reply. No I was not on HRT before and not sure because of my age they will give that to me now. I just hate feeling like this xx

Nas

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 11:04:53 AM »

Your age shouldn’t hinder you being able to get HRT. Many ladies go on it later in life and find it helps with their quality of life.

If that is something you wish to consider, then definitely arrange a GP appointment and have a discussion.

Are you fairly content with life?
Sometimes, when we are unhappy or stressed, this exacerbates menopause symptoms.

Diet and lifestyle can also help to a degree. It’s about looking at the picture holistically. If your body is starved of oestrogen and causing your symptoms, then HRT is worth looking at.

Did you feel like this prior to your hysterectomy? X

Donna-paul

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 04:15:07 PM »

I totally understand I had the same early stages of womb cancer in March had everything removed. I’ve been told I can’t have hrt I was on it before😔 it’s been a rollercoaster for me winter time is definitely worse for me. I still have bit of pain from surgery and a numb buttock have you healed well. Have you thought about any counselling just because we are the lucky ones caught early doesn’t mean we haven’t gone through all the stress and shock to our system x

Nas

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 05:34:19 PM »

Yes a hysterectomy is a major surgery. Very traumatic and recovery can take a while.

Be kind to yourself z

Birdwatcher

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 08:21:51 PM »

Donna Paul, I sometimes feel a fraud as my cancer was caught early. I have healed well and I have a good life, but I just can’t shake myself . Maybe it is the shock of the realisation of what we have gone through, the stress  of diagnosis , the surgery and the waiting on results which is mind blowing. I will talk to my gp if it doesn’t improve .

Nas I did feel a little discombobulated prior diagnosis as I early retired and was trying to redefine who I am  now I have left my career .

Thank you both for the replies , sometimes you feel that you are the only one with these feelings  xx

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 11:30:46 PM »

Hi Birdwatcher,
I had a full hysterectomy with life changing complications.  It wasnt for cancer but the op changed my life. I have two stoma bags now.  This happened years ago and I’ve never recovered. Recently I’ve been wondering about HRT s I’m 63 I’m guessing I’m too old.  I seem to have many of the symptoms though but when you’ve been through  trauma it’s difficult to know what it causing what.  Hysterectomy even without complications is a big op and it can take a while to feel normal again.  Maybe be kind to yourself and hopefully things will improve as time passes x
I do understand that awful empty feeling though, I retired on hill health before the hysterectomy and that was a sense of loss too , it’s a lot to process, give yourself time and lots of self care x

Donna-paul

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 11:53:22 AM »

Donna Paul, I sometimes feel a fraud as my cancer was caught early. I have healed well and I have a good life, but I just can’t shake myself . Maybe it is the shock of the realisation of what we have gone through, the stress  of diagnosis , the surgery and the waiting on results which is mind blowing. I will talk to my gp if it doesn’t improve .

Nas I did feel a little discombobulated prior diagnosis as I early retired and was trying to redefine who I am  now I have left my career .
I definitely know how you feel as we are the lucky ones caught early. I think it suddenly hits us a few months after what we have gone through all the tests the big operation. Plus we have the hormones or lack of to deal with. I’m getting counselling as I have other chronic health illnesses there’s a waiting list maybe think about it. Also I don’t know about you any other symptoms all illnesses you mind goes overtime and think of C .

Thank you both for the replies , sometimes you feel that you are the only one with these feelings  xx