Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Problems on HRT  (Read 2109 times)

HS

• First Flush
Problems on HRT
« on: December 07, 2023, 12:19:33 PM »

Hello All

I have just joined the Group. I started HRT in March. Also I have been on cerazette for approx 20 years and had no bleeding in that time, apparently I can stay on cerazette until im 55 (I am 51).
So I started on Everol Conti 50, the first month the sweats had gone but by the 3 month review was up, they had started again. The Dr upped to Everol 75 & Utrogestan, I was was almost at the next 3 month review when I had to see the Dr about something else, she asked how I was with the HRT, I explained I was still sometimes getting hot. So she said we will will try the Everol 100, after about 5 weeks the severe dizziness started daily, followed by headaches, one week my head was so bad, I decided to book a drs appt. By the next week I had light bleeding, first time on HRT. She said she would lower the dose back to Everol 75, its been almost 4 weeks and I have had alot of bleeding and wondered is it that my body is struggling with a high dose and now its trying to cope with the lower dose. Sorry to go on but I have high anxiety after being widowed young then losing my 14 year old Son in 2018. I get myself worse keep googling all these questions. Thanks for listening  x

CeCe

Re: Problems on HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:03:34 PM »

Hello HS and welcome 🤗

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time. HRT is very much trial and error and you’ve come to the right place to realise you are not alone, and you are definitely not alone.

So the symptoms you experienced on Evorel 100 is typical of too much oestrogen, and happily your doctor recognised this and put you back down to a 75 patch.

As for bleeding, oestrogen is the ‘bleeding’ hormone. Such a high dose will build up your womb lining which the progesterone will then ‘shed’. Lowering your dose will hopefully help the bleeding to stop.

It’s a tricky balance. Have you thought about swapping the patch for the oestrogel.? 3 pumps will be equivalent to a 75 patch and then you could add a tiny bit more if it doesn’t relieve your symptoms. You don’t need to add a whole pump, just a small squirt, and then you can tailor it until you get symptom relief without the horrible side effects of high oestrogen. Just a thought.

Oh and you don’t need Dr google when you have this forum. Dr google hasn’t been perimenopausal or menopausal. Think of him as a man. Feel free to ask this forum as many questions as you want though. There’s always someone on here with similar experiences, knowledge and ideas.

CeCe

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 01:28:48 PM »

I think that your body is over whelmed by a sudden hike in dose.  I would drop down to the dose that didn't give such severe side effects.  It may be worth while trying a few times a week rather than daily?  Hopefully some1 on your regime will be along.

Think why you needed HRT - if the Cerazette was helping, what were you trying to ease? 

U could put the product names into the search box on the Forum [individually] and read threads that pop up.  Make notes ;-).  :welcomemm:

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress as well as asking for a referral to a dedicated menopause Clnininc as there are waiting lists.

Let us know how you get on. 

HS

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 01:51:23 PM »

CeCe
Thanks so much for your reply, I am hoping to see how it goes until my next review which will be in 8 weeks. I have printed off a calendar and made notes etc so I can remember when I had bleeding etc. Its so nice to get a lovely reply as all I seem to do is worry x

HS

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 01:56:03 PM »

CLKD
Thanks for replying. Yes the Dr lowered to 75 four weeks ago but I continue to bleed. I have also printed off a calendar to make notes of everything that’s happening. I was told I could stay on cerazette until I am 55 but needed the HRT as I was so hot all the time. I already had anxiety with my grieving but I guess its also because the menopause.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 02:56:46 PM »

R U getting support - CRUSE are run by the bereaved for the bereaved.  There are also groups for those who have lost young people for both parents and siblings. 

This time of year and the weather doesn't help.

Worry arrives with peri very often  ::) which is why joining in here can really help.  Keep muttering away, there's usually some1 to respond.

We talk about everything here: even menopause ;-).

HS

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 03:13:55 PM »

CLKD
Thanku... I did remarry after losing my Husband and have been lucky to remarry someone who is so caring. The loss of my 14 year old Son, is a grief I struggle with every day. I have had counselling and I think it helped a little. This Christmas we are flying to Spain so I am looking forward to getting away from our town and its always so different in another country at Christmas time x

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 04:37:40 PM »

I'm so sorry about your son. My parents lost one too and I'm not sure it's something you ever really get over.
  Do you take utro every day? A conti regime like this is usually given to women who are meno (no bleed for a year) but as we're on a bcp you perhaps don't know where you are in your meno journey? If you're still peri you might be better on a sequi regime (200mgx12 days per cycle) then have a scheduled bleed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 06:15:23 PM by sheila99 »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 05:31:07 PM »

We have a holiday thread too  ;).  Lovely to get away with your new husband - will U be self catering or slumming a few days in a hotel ? [not that I'm nosey]

HS

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 06:53:21 PM »

CLKD
A week in a hotel

HS

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 06:57:31 PM »

Sheila99
Hi
Im on the patches and utrogestan daily. I was told I was definitely in the menopause when I had a blood test back in March. I am sorry for your loss x