Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: problems with my hrt  (Read 2176 times)

duckie1975

• First Flush
problems with my hrt
« on: December 04, 2023, 03:18:39 AM »

I have been on my hrt since april this year.I was put on evorel 25 patches which i change twice a week and utrogestan 100mg capsules which i take on a cycle of two weeks on and two weeks off.I was told when i am on my cycle of being  off the capsules i should have a bleed after a couple of months i would have a bleed at the start of the second week of being off the capsules this lasted a couple ot times then it went to the start of the first week being off this happened twice.This time around i have been off the capsules for two weeks and been back on them for 4 days i have had slight cramps but no bleeding.Ithought by now i would be feeling slightly better if anything i feel worse i feel sick nearly ever day,i have no appetite or any intrest in food.I suffer from ptsd {post,tramatic,stress,disorder}i am on medication for this but my anxiety is worse.I have been married for 17 years and have an amazing husband who is very understanding but i know he is worried i mainly stay in bed all the time i have no intrest in doing anything.Even things i love to do.Does anyone else have issues even being on hrt.Any advice would be appriciate any advice.

SarahT

Re: problems with my hrt
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 08:00:33 AM »

Good morning Duckie,

Welcome.
Your patch may not be strong enough to give you the oestrogen you need. 25 seems a very low dose given your worsening symotoms.
Generally you should have had a 3 month check after starting hrt with your dr to see how things are going. I urge you to speak to them to let them know how bad you are affected. It can take quite some time to get the right hrt dose for your own needs.
I can't help 're the utrogestan or bleeds as I use the mirena coil for my progesterone side.
Please know people are listening to you and have an understanding on how you feel, I am sorry it is so hard. I am glad your husband is so supportive.

I hope someone may come along to help further regarding the utrogestan a bleeding.

CeCe

Re: problems with my hrt
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 11:37:22 AM »

Hi duckie,

What you describe re your periods is perfectly normal. As you are perimenopausal your own hormones are fluctuating in the background. Bleeding is notoriously irregular. Oestrogen is the bleeding hormone, so if you don’t have enough (either your own, from HRT or a mixture of both), you won’t build up enough womb lining to shed. Utrogestan will keep your womb lining thin, but you still have to have built up a womb lining for the progesterone to do its ‘thing’.

How are your other symptoms? Why did you begin HRT? It does sound like you might not have enough oestrogen now and need a higher dose.

My periods were all over the place when I started HRT. I could go months without bleeding, have 2 in a month, start before I had finished the 2 week utrogestan phase. It was so unpredictable and with hindsight, I probably wasn’t ready for HRT. Personally I decided to stop and see what my body was doing naturally. It helped my anxiety enormously to do this. I’m now menopausal and am starting HRT again (slowly).

The only thing to remember is that you are not doing your body any harm. It will be okay. It’s unexplained bleeding when you are post menopausal (constant spotting, a period when you’ve not had one for years etc) when the red flags start waving and your GP will send you for a scan.

If you don’t want to bleed then a Mirena coil might be an option. Otherwise just be prepared that HRT won’t train your body to have a bleed every 28 days, it’s not like the contraceptive pill. Your own cycle will keep doing its own thing, until your own hormones stop.

Maybe try a higher dose patch to see if it helps with anxiety and produces a more regular bleed. More oestrogen is beneficial for bone and heart health anyway, so worth trying.