Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello I’m new, and frustrated!  (Read 3897 times)

Abs75

• First Flush
Hello I’m new, and frustrated!
« on: November 28, 2023, 12:11:38 PM »

Hi all, glad to find this forum :) I’m nearly 49 and have been thinking i could be peri for a while as over the last year my previously very regular periods have become erratic and my skin and hair has become very crap. Also have night sweats during period and have trouble keeping a hold of my emotions. This month I finally decided to ask dr about going on hrt, I got a lovely female dr who asked me all sorts of questions, one of which was do I ever have any mid cycle bleeding. I said yes very occasionally because I have had a couple of instances over the past year where I’ve bled for a day mid cycle, I thought was due to my periods being a bit haywire, but the dr seems very concerned and said I would need an internal exam and if that looked ok she would get me started on hrt.
Anyway I had to wait 2 weeks for appointment for cervical exam, she said that all looked fine, asked me more questions about the mid cycle bleeding and I again told her it was only a couple of times over the course of a year but she said she can’t start me on hrt until I’ve had an ultrasound, and there’s an 8 wk wait for one! I’m glad that she’s obviously a very thorough dr but I just feel like she’s attaching too much importance to the bleeds and I don’t for one minute think there is anything sinister going on. I’m just disappointed I now have to wait ages to start hrt :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello I’m new, and frustrated!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 12:53:51 PM »

8 weeks is 'about right' in this day and age.   :welcomemm:  Could U B able to take a cancellation appt at short notice, if so ring the Dept and put your details forwards.  Often people don't turn up or don't want the appt.. 

U could also ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic - although getting the scan gives you and the GP a base line from which to work.

Abs75

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 06:27:38 PM »

Thanks I might try that. I just want it over and done with, wish I hadn’t mentioned the bleeds at all!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 06:54:00 PM »

Get it sorted then U won't have any worries in the back of your mind

SarahT

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 07:57:14 PM »

Prior to even starting hrt I had to have a check because of occasional bleeding after sex. Nothing sinister was found, but I did start on a course of localised hrt cream for vaginal atrophy which helps discomfort a great deal. But I was actually grateful to have the procedure as it did reassure me all was ok. Otherwise so think so would have always had that nagging feeling at the back of my mind..

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 10:19:13 PM »

I understand your frustration but I think your gp's right. If, for example, the bleeding is due to a fibroid (or worse) hrt can make it grow.