Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mini-pause  (Read 6721 times)

Debw

mini-pause
« on: November 26, 2023, 07:41:35 AM »

Hi, newbie here  🙂
I'm not too good at 'long story short' but will give it a go.
I had a total hysterectomy at the end of 2018 due to a large ovarian cyst. I was 52 and perimenopausal before the op 😬
Post op, had symptoms, odd night flushes,  moody at times but generally anything that came along was not worth mentioning. I was so lucky with the symptoms and from what I hear and read on here, me heart goes out to many of you lovely ladies. BAM - covid! I got this January 2021 and all the symptoms that came with that completely floored me, I have had long covid now since then but symptoms (too many to mention) are subsiding. I did however have some symptoms of menopause that I feel had been masked and was fed up of blaming everything on long covid so asked my GP if I could try HRT patches, I got a px for evorel 25mcg, I'm on week 3 now and the symptoms (maybe side effects) are horrendous! It's like the title suggests a menopause on fast speed, aching hips, shoulders, neck, hot flushes, fatigue and mood swings, yesterday, I was like a mother bear 🐻 you couldn't get near me to smile let alone speak to me, my poor hubby was practically cowering in the corner 😡
I'm not used to this and maybe it's payback for an uneventful menopause but wowsers, this has got me big time.
Any advice or suggestions would be massively appreciated 💝

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: mini-pause
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 09:11:22 AM »

Sorry that you have long Covid - any symptoms that last more than 3 months after the negative test ? 

You sound menopausal ........ as oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out as well as muscles may become weak = aches and pains.

Hopefully someone with knowledge about your prescription will be along.  In the mean time, let your husband out of the corner to eat will you ;-) ?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 11:04:52 AM »

Hi Debw. Sorry to hear about covid. I had it for the second time in July and symptoms are still ongoing. For me one of the worst is that everything is aching and I have now developed frozen shoulder. Also my blood pressure and cholesterol is raised, also attributed to covid, plus fluctuating heart rate and insomnia. This is all being investigated by my GP but some of the symptoms do overlap with menopause.

25mcg is a small dose - I am on Evorel 50 and have also had a hysterectomy but kept my ovaries. Did you keep yours?  I feel that your symptoms may not be to do with the patch but perhaps, re the hot flushes, you have reached another stage of menopause where your oestrogen levels may have dropped again. The aching may be totally unrelated. Have you had your vitamin D level checked lately? Low levels of this can cause muscle aches and weakness, fatigue, mood swings, hair loss etc etc.  Having said that there are some women on here I believe who have reacted to oestrogen in this way and hopefully they will be along soon with their advice too. You could always stop the HRT to see if you feel better though the advice is to try each one for three months. Your symptoms of fatigue and mood swings were, for me, linked to the progesterone element of HRT but obviously you aren't using any so I can see it is confusing.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Debw

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 11:55:55 AM »

Sorry that you have long Covid - any symptoms that last more than 3 months after the negative test ? 

You sound menopausal ........ as oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out as well as muscles may become weak = aches and pains.

Hopefully someone with knowledge about your prescription will be along.  In the mean time, let your husband out of the corner to eat will you ;-) ?
Thankyou CLKD, long covid from end of January 21 to present, getting really good support from Long Covid Clinic, currently with respiratory physio. I reckon the long covid as done it's rounds now so coming to the back end of it (hopefully) time to concentrate on actual symptoms of menopause and learn how to live with it, was worried about my bone density, one of the reasons why I wanted to try oestrogen patches also 🙂

Debw

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 12:07:50 PM »

Hi Debw. Sorry to hear about covid. I had it for the second time in July and symptoms are still ongoing. For me one of the worst is that everything is aching and I have now developed frozen shoulder. Also my blood pressure and cholesterol is raised, also attributed to covid, plus fluctuating heart rate and insomnia. This is all being investigated by my GP but some of the symptoms do overlap with menopause.

25mcg is a small dose - I am on Evorel 50 and have also had a hysterectomy but kept my ovaries. Did you keep yours?  I feel that your symptoms may not be to do with the patch but perhaps, re the hot flushes, you have reached another stage of menopause where your oestrogen levels may have dropped again. The aching may be totally unrelated. Have you had your vitamin D level checked lately? Low levels of this can cause muscle aches and weakness, fatigue, mood swings, hair loss etc etc.  Having said that there are some women on here I believe who have reacted to oestrogen in this way and hopefully they will be along soon with their advice too. You could always stop the HRT to see if you feel better though the advice is to try each one for three months. Your symptoms of fatigue and mood swings were, for me, linked to the progesterone element of HRT but obviously you aren't using any so I can see it is confusing.

Taz x  :welcomemm:
Thanks for this Taz2, also sorry to hear your symtoms are ongoing, if you have a long covid clinic near you, I highly recommend youbask your GP for referral, they are so supportive and get things done alot quicker.
I did need D3 supplements somewhere along the covid journey so might get these levels checked again. My left shoulder and neck are really taking a hammering at the mo, I have tried brufen and paracetamol, naproxen and they take the edge off, tens machine seems to be the best 💁‍♀️ from amazon works a treat
 They took the full 'nursery' out during surgery including ovaries. No don't need the progesterone but gunna give the patches the 3 month they deserve 🙂

Debw

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 12:11:26 PM »

Thankyou CLKD, long covid from end of January 21 to present, getting really good support from Long Covid Clinic, currently with respiratory physio. I reckon the long covid as done it's rounds now so coming to the back end of it (hopefully) time to concentrate on actual symptoms of menopause and learn how to live with it, was worried about my bone density, one of the reasons why I wanted to try oestrogen patches also 🙂

Also CLKD, hubby is out of the corner, fed and watered 🤣🤣🤣

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »

:rofl: :lol:   is he creeping around the house ;-) ? 

Good to learn that U R getting support from the Long Covid Clinic.  Certainly Covid-19 has affected womens' hormones!  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 01:56:59 PM »

If they also took your ovaries which I didn't realise from your post then I would think that you need more than the 25 patch as you are not producing your own oestrogen. Even post meno ovaries continue to release small amounts of oestrogen. Generally, nowadays, ovaries are left unless there is a future cancer probability but some surgeons still remove them. You'll get there especially now you've found us lot xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 03:36:33 PM »

My Surgeon told me 25+ years ago that he 'would take all, to save having to go in again'  :-\.  However, we know a lot more about how removing 'all' can affect women.  Probably more than Surgeons might do. 

Debw

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 09:41:38 PM »

If they also took your ovaries which I didn't realise from your post then I would think that you need more than the 25 patch as you are not producing your own oestrogen. Even post meno ovaries continue to release small amounts of oestrogen. Generally, nowadays, ovaries are left unless there is a future cancer probability but some surgeons still remove them. You'll get there especially now you've found us lot xx
Thanks Taz2, yes, I reckon will mention this to Doc when we review, thankyou for your encouragement aswell, very few people to talk with among family and friends when lots of other stuff going off 😑

Debw

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 09:46:44 PM »

My Surgeon told me 25+ years ago that he 'would take all, to save having to go in again'  :-\.  However, we know a lot more about how removing 'all' can affect women.  Probably more than Surgeons might do.
Very true CKLD. Unfortunately, the pesky cyst was growing on the ovary but was massive (5 kilos) so was protruding everywhere, I'm a chunky monkey so didn't notice the distension in my lower abdomen just bloated and feeling full after small meals 😬

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 09:54:12 AM »

WOW  :o   that's the weight of my buck rabbit in his prime   :o ........

Debw

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 03:17:51 PM »

WOW  :o   that's the weight of my buck rabbit in his prime   :o ........
[/quote
  haha, I didn't feel like a buck rabbit I can tell you, it actually weighed more than my 2 daughters (individually) when they were born, it had a field day in there, it was a fast grower!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 04:40:22 PM »

Stimulated by what exactly ........... were U allowed to keep it in a jar  :o 8)

Debw

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 08:22:28 PM »

Stimulated by what exactly ........... were U allowed to keep it in a jar  :o 8)
It was a dermoid so doesn't normally grow fast but the measurements from scan to extraction increased significantly. Was to big really and would have freaked me out if I'd have seen it. They like to take any cyst out without rupturing it in case it's malignant, they don't know either way until a biopsy of it is sent to labs. Mine was removed intact but had 65 clips to show for it! And it was benign 👏 it's rare for a dermoid to turn malignant
Pages: [1] 2